What happened to the original copies of the Gospels?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

What happened to the original copies of the Gospels?

Post #1

Post by William »

The original manuscripts of the gospels are not known to have survived, so there is no way to verify if the gospels contained in the bible are true copies of said originals, or even if there actually existed originals and that what is presented as the gospels were simply fictitious creations of the early priesthood of Christianity, which eventually formalized them into a book, which was touted as being "The Word of God".

Q: Why were the original manuscripts allowed to perish if the bible is such a holy relic Christianity touts it to be?

Word of God - the sacred writings of the Christian religions; "he went to carry the Word to the heathen" Christian Bible, Good Book, Holy Scripture, Holy Writ, Scripture, Bible, Book, ...

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Re: What happened to the original copies of the Gospels?

Post #61

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

Bust Nak wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:53 am Yes, that's the point. It was indeed supposed to make you understand what William's point was.
Keywords: Supposed to.
Bust Nak wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:53 am Come on, I am bored. I've been waiting for months.
Bet.
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

Revelations won
Sage

Post #62

Post by Revelations won »

Dear William,

Thank you for your OP and issues relating to it. I think your questions have great validity and are worthy of response.

What happened to the original manuscripts? I do not know. Were they poorly preserved? Do they, in fact, still exist today? Are current copies of the original manuscripts modified or altered to some degree? Or were they burned by the Catholic Church in the same manner that many other sacred texts were burned and destroyed in the 325 A.D. period?

Why did the Catholic Church burn these other sacred texts, thus denying future generations from careful re-examination and investigation?

What would your response be if there was to be found a second witness or testament verifying the gospels?

Also in the many responses I find mention of an “early christian priesthood” When was this created? What are it’s functions or powers? What is it’s purpose? Does it still exist today? If so, who has divine power to confer it upon others?

I look forward to hearing your the on the above issues.

Best regards,
RW

Sheila D
Student

Post #63

Post by Sheila D »

[Replying to William in post #1]

Who knows what happened to the original copies - maybe the original English translators did the copies and at some point in time they will be discovered.
In the Bibles printed before the 1960s, in the indexs it contained the Bible was translated over 41 different times - nor was it actually authorized by King James. Again it is highly likely someone hid the original manuscripts for safe keeping and throughout the decades possibly destroyed or just never found.
There is a story that the Catholic Church of Rome actually has the manuscripts.
Just like no one can say as an absolute who actually wrote Matthew, Mark, Luke, and the gospels of John. It is said Luke who was a associate of Paul did write the book of Luke.
There are said to be original copies of Paul's writings but considering that Paul died at some point between 62 and 64 AD and the manuscripts said to be written by Paul was dated 180 to 220 AD by one source - how could Paul have written them?

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Sa ... he-Apostle

http://www.annarbor.com/news/university ... ters-ipad/

The church contends that Paul wrote his letters

https://www.sparknotes.com/lit/newtestament/section6/

How was Paul's gospels written before the gospels of Matthew Mark Luke and John?

https://www.ncronline.org/news/opinion/ ... el-writers
Maybe the Christian Israelites didn't write but Paul did.

Who wrote what and when are questions yet to be with an absolute answer as well as we're on the original manuscripts Matthew, mark, Luke, the books of John, including Peter, Jude, James.