How can we trust the Bible if it's not inerrant?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

How can we trust the Bible if it's not inerrant?

Post #1

Post by otseng »

From the On the Bible being inerrant thread:
nobspeople wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:42 amHow can you trust something that's written about god that contradictory, contains errors and just plain wrong at times? Is there a logical way to do so, or do you just want it to be god's word so much that you overlook these things like happens so often through the history of christianity?
otseng wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:08 am The Bible can still be God's word, inspired, authoritative, and trustworthy without the need to believe in inerrancy.
For debate:
How can the Bible be considered authoritative and inspired without the need to believe in the doctrine of inerrancy?

While debating, do not simply state verses to say the Bible is inspired or trustworthy.

----------

Thread Milestones

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: How can we trust the Bible if it's not inerrant?

Post #441

Post by TRANSPONDER »

otseng wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:28 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:28 am Ok I checked your reference. I am corrected that the mantle is not liquid. But it doesn't alter the matter of tectonic plate movement on a base that Acts as though it was liquid.

That is the geological and Deep Time explanation for mountain formation both today and in the past and continental plates floating on top of and being pushed about by a global flood is not. I had a layman confusion of a liquid mantle with a mantle that acts as liquid and am corrected, but your point is irrelevant as the geological mechanism is still the same and does not help your Flood scenario.
This just confirms the ad hoc nature of SG. First you insist it's molten rock, then it's confirmed it's solid rock, then it's claimed it doesn't matter if it's molten rock or solid rock. Pretty much can claim anything in SG and it doesn't matter.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:20 am The crust moving on top of molten rock. This is what is happening today, along with rock -scoring with glaciation,exposure of old strata by erosion; this all happens today where we can see it.
I'm pretty sure that tectonic plate movement (in fact I think I posted this) is not on solid rock but on the molten mantle. Again I am surprised that you appear to dismiss the research, publications, questioning and verification as 'ad hoc, which if you don't use my meaning of 'making up explanations as you go along' is dismissing geological science as just the hypotheses and guesses of scientists.
Show me one example of land masses merrily floating on water.
FM posits there was subterranean water before the flood. This explains where all the water came from to flood the entire globe. Water receding into the oceans as the mountains and continents formed explains where all the water went. Though there could be pockets of subterranean water now, most all the water is now on the surface, not underground.
Then you explain why some parts are swept away and why some stand up for all the world as though they were solid rock mesas, buttes and cliffs that had gradually been eroded away over millions of years?
Mesas and buttes are the result of water erosion similar to what we see off of beaches.

I haven't even touched on Pangaea which is supposed to have split apart so would be colliding together anyway - unless you don't buy Pangaea splitting up, which is a basis of other Flood scenarios. But this is what happens with the ad hoc guesses of Creationism, their theories conflict.
Feel free to present Pangaea and we can compare it to the FM.
Effectively, yes, the Gospel-writers are in court telling their tale as eyewitness. Though also we are evaluating them as historians because they (secondarily) could be relating that they've been told. Either way their stories aren't straight as in the Testcase nativity where the stories conflict so totally that one at least has to be false.
Suppose we have two witnesses recount a car accident. Witness A says the Ford car ran the red light. Witness B says the GM car ran the red light. This would be a significant discrepancy.

Now suppose witness A and witness B both says the Ford car ran the red light. Witness A says there were 2 people in the Ford. Witness B says there was 1 person in the Ford. This would be a minor discrepancy and does not invalidate the the Ford running the red light.

Matthew and Luke both claim Jesus resurrected. If they claimed something different, then it would be a significant discrepancy.

Matthew implies there was only one angel at the tomb. Luke says there were two angels. This would be an insignificant discrepancy and would not invalidate the resurrection claim.
No. It shows that you are struggling to make points. The 'SG' knew that tectonic plate movement was caused by the mobile nature of the mantle. I misremembered and took it that the mantle was liquid or at least viscose. And it must be the liquid rock below the mantle is surely the reason it moves. My faulty knowledge. But you just pick on my rather slight misunderstanding not just to debunk me - which is fair enough - but to try to debunk the whole of geological knowledge. Which I can only put down to your desperation.

Also shown is your evasion of my question to you. I did not ask you to repeat your underground ocean theory. Essentially, water not visible before appeared, from below the ground or above (from an ice ring, a fountain or whatever). The mountains then rose or flat lands were pushed up to form mountains and make it seem that the water was going down. I didn't need you to explain it again. But you haven't addressed my debunk of your attempt to explain folded strata with 'they were soft' in order to cram millions of years of geology into a year. Also you tried to explain tectonic plate movement with flood water. Which, since it makes no sense that flood would be pushing around the lands it was flooding, you argued the land masses were floating on top of the flood as the tectonic plates do on top of the mobile rocks that are floating them about. Which I was aware of even if it isn't actually liquid. I still need you to show me any reason to think that land masses can float on water, not appeal to unknown pockets of water that you seem to think would validate this underwater ocean which, when you think it through, they wouldn't. If they were there, they could just be underground pockets of water. Without evidence of a collapsed ocean reservoir roof into the underground ocean (that seems to be what it is, after all) they wouldn't be underground. It's all just as ad ad hoc can be.

I have said and it is known that rock can be eroded by weather on land and by water in water. That doesn't mean that it was all done by water. Even if it was - I suppose some weathered rocks on land might once have been underwater but the strata was raised up, that wouldn't help the flood theory because of the tilted and bulged strata that you argue was cause by the flood that sheared the tilted strata off flat (as in the anomaly in the grand canyon) and laid 'flood' strata over the t op. So the (water -pushed) tectonic activity that caused the mountains, had tilted the strata in the course of mountain -building even before the Flood happened. I just don't think you can force all the geological events into one year or so long cataclysmic event, which (continents floating on water?) doesn't sound very probable.

Please yourself about Pangaea. I was curious to know whether you thought a single land -mass broke up or not. If you do, I don't know how that break up caused the continents to collide,causing the mountains to form.

And finally the familiar attempt to explain away discrepancies with misremembered details. It is why 'two angels' in itself isn't going to prove anything.

Suppose we have two witnesses recount a car accident. Witness A says the Ford car ran the red light. Witness B says the GM car ran the red light. This would be a significant discrepancy. Now suppose witness A and witness B both says the Ford car ran the red light. Witness A says there were 2 people in the Ford. Witness B says there was 1 person in the Ford. This would be a minor discrepancy and does not invalidate the the Ford running the red light.

That isn't the problem. The problem is:-
that a (Matthew) says a ford with 2 people ran a red light. (b) Luke) says a a GM campervan with 6 persons in ran a red light.

A (Matthew) says a flying saucer stopped the car with a tractor beam frightening the traffic cops (1) away. The alien pilot then got out and wrote the driver a ticket. 'You people appear in court tomorrow'. They went back to the car but on the way the Judge appeared and fined them a 100 dollars and told them to turn up at court the next day anyway. Which they did and the judge said 'Don't run red lights again'.

B (Luke) however says the cop issued a ticket and told them to have a videophone hearing (because of C19). meanwhile the kids on the school bus (the witness is telling the already bemused jury) were told by a teacher they didn't know that their mom and all her lady friends in the GM van had been fined for running red lights. Well we all have to make a living. So they forgot about school and ran back home where dad complained he'd been fined for the traffic violation. As they were discussing this, there was a knock on the door. The Judge walked in and said 'Got any beer?'

This, and not your minimising, dismissing and strawmanlike attempt to pin credibility on excusing mistaking the car make, is why the jury would throw these witnesses and their story into the gutter, along with the lawyer who says 'Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jewry...sorry...Jury, these witnesses probably see thins differently from you'. . And we haven't even heard from witness (c) John whose story differs even more. And the less said about witness Peter (2) the better.

So, while the analogy isn't exact (it's a dispute about whether they paid the judge the fine or not) and getting a ticket for jumping lights isn't an unusual claim, you can't say that these stories are credible

(1) who had been posted there to watch for such traffic violations. They were told by the station sergeant 'keep your traps shut about flying saucers, if you want to reach your pensions. Just say they were playing Chicken'.

(2) 'What? Crazy Pete the Gnostig Gnagger of Hammadi? Don't, whatever you do, call him as a witness'.

otseng
Savant

Post #442

Post by otseng »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:14 am Your term "bible", in itself worth investigation.
What books would you consider canonical? In particular, which NT books?

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #443

Post by TRANSPONDER »

otseng wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:00 am
2ndpillar2 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:14 am Your term "bible", in itself worth investigation.
:D I was going to say "Damn' otseng came back quickly, even if I hadn't mentioned that he was using the claim to prove the claim".

But this above is a good discussion that deserves its'own thread.

otseng
Savant

Post #444

Post by otseng »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:49 amThe 'SG' knew that tectonic plate movement was caused by the mobile nature of the mantle. I misremembered and took it that the mantle was liquid or at least viscose. And it must be the liquid rock below the mantle is surely the reason it moves. My faulty knowledge. But you just pick on my rather slight misunderstanding not just to debunk me - which is fair enough - but to try to debunk the whole of geological knowledge. Which I can only put down to your desperation.
I think your initial intuition that the underlying layer should be viscous was actually correct. It goes against intuition to think that the underlying base would be solid. Again, what is a more plausible scenario? The crust moving along something that is viscous or something that is solid?
But you haven't addressed my debunk of your attempt to explain folded strata with 'they were soft' in order to cram millions of years of geology into a year.
Your question makes no sense. Millions of years is not posited in the FM.
Which, since it makes no sense that flood would be pushing around the lands it was flooding, you argued the land masses were floating on top of the flood as the tectonic plates do on top of the mobile rocks that are floating them about.
There are three major sets of rocks at play - the base basalt, the hydroplate crust, and the sedimentary strata.

The base basalt is underneath the subterranean water. The hydroplate crust is on top of the subterranean water and is what is moving. The sedimentary strata was deposited on top of the hydroplate. When the hydroplate hit the basalt underneath, the sedimentary strata then buckled due to the momentum.
I still need you to show me any reason to think that land masses can float on water, not appeal to unknown pockets of water that you seem to think would validate this underwater ocean which, when you think it through, they wouldn't.
What do you mean by "float on water"? If you mean prior to the rupture, it was not "floating". All of the subterranean water was below the surface prior to the rupture. Think of it like concentric spheres. The water was totally contained within the outer crust. There was no need for buoyancy of the crust, just like there's no need for an egg shell to "float" on top of an egg yolk.
If they were there, they could just be underground pockets of water. Without evidence of a collapsed ocean reservoir roof into the underground ocean (that seems to be what it is, after all) they wouldn't be underground. It's all just as ad ad hoc can be.
There is evidence of water deep underground.
This is the Kola Superdeep Borehole, the deepest manmade hole on Earth and deepest artificial point on Earth. The 40,230ft-deep (12.2km) construction is so deep that locals swear you can hear the screams of souls tortured in hell. It took the Soviets almost 20 years to drill this far, but the drill bit was still only about one-third of the way through the crust to the Earth’s mantle when the project came grinding to a halt in the chaos of post-Soviet Russia.

“When the Russians started to drill they claimed they had found free water – and that was simply not believed by most scientists. There used to be common understanding among Western scientists that the crust was so dense 5km down that water could not permeate through it.”
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2019 ... e-ever-dug
I have said and it is known that rock can be eroded by weather on land and by water in water. That doesn't mean that it was all done by water. Even if it was - I suppose some weathered rocks on land might once have been underwater but the strata was raised up,
It's simply stating a truism that erosion can happen by weather or by water. It is not an explanation of why erosion would be flat as demonstrated in Monument valley.
that wouldn't help the flood theory because of the tilted and bulged strata that you argue was cause by the flood that sheared the tilted strata off flat (as in the anomaly in the grand canyon) and laid 'flood' strata over the t op.
I've already proposed an explanation for the angular unconformity in the GC:
The sedimentary layers are formed from rock being eroded at the mid-oceanic ridges. The tilted supergroup formation was formed by erosion of the Pacific ridge west of the American continent. After this strata was deposited, tectonic activity caused the layers to be tilted. Then the layers in the tonto group and above were formed by the continental crust eroded along the mid-Atlantic ridge.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=38657&p=1059025#p1059025
I was curious to know whether you thought a single land -mass broke up or not. If you do, I don't know how that break up caused the continents to collide,causing the mountains to form.
Of course. The FM explains why the Americas were once a part of Europe/Africa. It was once connected and got split along the Atlantic oceanic ridge.

A (Matthew) says a flying saucer stopped the car with a tractor beam frightening the traffic cops (1) away. The alien pilot then got out and wrote the driver a ticket. 'You people appear in court tomorrow'. They went back to the car but on the way the Judge appeared and fined them a 100 dollars and told them to turn up at court the next day anyway. Which they did and the judge said 'Don't run red lights again'.
What we are talking about is the resurrection of Jesus. In your example, what is your counterpart to the resurrection?

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #445

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

otseng wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:00 am
Define "canonical", and you will have the answer why those books should all be suspect. If the daughters of Babylon, mostly all consider the generally accepted NT authoritative/genuine, then you have a problem. A primary daughter, the Roman church, whose fruit was not, and is not good (Matthew 7:19), would be suspect if you asked Joan of Arc, or the opinion of Galileo. Just because a speaker of the house and a president, kneel at the feet of the Roman Pontiff, does not give the church credibility, it only points to it being used to bolster the wicked. I suggest that you use the book used by Yeshua if you want to get to the foundational truth. Yeshua brought light to the original scriptures, which the "Christian" church has mostly nailed to a cross, and now think they are saved. But "saved" from what? They will all die, regardless of what their false prophet Paul might have preached, and which his minions have expanded upon.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #446

Post by TRANSPONDER »

otseng wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:28 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:49 amThe 'SG' knew that tectonic plate movement was caused by the mobile nature of the mantle. I misremembered and took it that the mantle was liquid or at least viscose. And it must be the liquid rock below the mantle is surely the reason it moves. My faulty knowledge. But you just pick on my rather slight misunderstanding not just to debunk me - which is fair enough - but to try to debunk the whole of geological knowledge. Which I can only put down to your desperation.
I think your initial intuition that the underlying layer should be viscous was actually correct. It goes against intuition to think that the underlying base would be solid. Again, what is a more plausible scenario? The crust moving along something that is viscous or something that is solid?
But you haven't addressed my debunk of your attempt to explain folded strata with 'they were soft' in order to cram millions of years of geology into a year.
Your question makes no sense. Millions of years is not posited in the FM.
Which, since it makes no sense that flood would be pushing around the lands it was flooding, you argued the land masses were floating on top of the flood as the tectonic plates do on top of the mobile rocks that are floating them about.
There are three major sets of rocks at play - the base basalt, the hydroplate crust, and the sedimentary strata.

The base basalt is underneath the subterranean water. The hydroplate crust is on top of the subterranean water and is what is moving. The sedimentary strata was deposited on top of the hydroplate. When the hydroplate hit the basalt underneath, the sedimentary strata then buckled due to the momentum.
I still need you to show me any reason to think that land masses can float on water, not appeal to unknown pockets of water that you seem to think would validate this underwater ocean which, when you think it through, they wouldn't.
What do you mean by "float on water"? If you mean prior to the rupture, it was not "floating". All of the subterranean water was below the surface prior to the rupture. Think of it like concentric spheres. The water was totally contained within the outer crust. There was no need for buoyancy of the crust, just like there's no need for an egg shell to "float" on top of an egg yolk.
If they were there, they could just be underground pockets of water. Without evidence of a collapsed ocean reservoir roof into the underground ocean (that seems to be what it is, after all) they wouldn't be underground. It's all just as ad ad hoc can be.
There is evidence of water deep underground.
This is the Kola Superdeep Borehole, the deepest manmade hole on Earth and deepest artificial point on Earth. The 40,230ft-deep (12.2km) construction is so deep that locals swear you can hear the screams of souls tortured in hell. It took the Soviets almost 20 years to drill this far, but the drill bit was still only about one-third of the way through the crust to the Earth’s mantle when the project came grinding to a halt in the chaos of post-Soviet Russia.

“When the Russians started to drill they claimed they had found free water – and that was simply not believed by most scientists. There used to be common understanding among Western scientists that the crust was so dense 5km down that water could not permeate through it.”
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2019 ... e-ever-dug
I have said and it is known that rock can be eroded by weather on land and by water in water. That doesn't mean that it was all done by water. Even if it was - I suppose some weathered rocks on land might once have been underwater but the strata was raised up,
It's simply stating a truism that erosion can happen by weather or by water. It is not an explanation of why erosion would be flat as demonstrated in Monument valley.
that wouldn't help the flood theory because of the tilted and bulged strata that you argue was cause by the flood that sheared the tilted strata off flat (as in the anomaly in the grand canyon) and laid 'flood' strata over the t op.
I've already proposed an explanation for the angular unconformity in the GC:
The sedimentary layers are formed from rock being eroded at the mid-oceanic ridges. The tilted supergroup formation was formed by erosion of the Pacific ridge west of the American continent. After this strata was deposited, tectonic activity caused the layers to be tilted. Then the layers in the tonto group and above were formed by the continental crust eroded along the mid-Atlantic ridge.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=38657&p=1059025#p1059025
I was curious to know whether you thought a single land -mass broke up or not. If you do, I don't know how that break up caused the continents to collide,causing the mountains to form.
Of course. The FM explains why the Americas were once a part of Europe/Africa. It was once connected and got split along the Atlantic oceanic ridge.

What we are talking about is the resurrection of Jesus. In your example, what is your counterpart to the resurrection?
It wasn't intuition :D It was imperfect recollection of the mechanics of plate tectonics. Liquiescent (I seem unable to spell anything these days :? ) rock is the mechanism of tectonic plate movement. That (not flood water) is what causes the mountains and faults.
Of course the Flood theory doesn't posit millions of years. That's the problem. Thousands of years is not really enough to allow the rock strata to be folded over like they were soft (any argument that they were heat - soft works less well if they are being caused by cold flood water) never mind a year or two as in the Bible. That is why the Flood -model is unfeasible and the evidence supports deep time geology.

Ok. I get the plot. Basalt, the hydroplate which I suppose is also basalt but forming a huge underground reservoir full of water. Kent Hovind made a neat point - when the world has no mountains, you can cover the globe with a little water. Obviously you need enough to float a ship and drown creation to make the Flood work, but pre mountains wouldn't require a flood to submerge mountains. And the Flood deposited the strata layers which were then buckled into mountains by the movement of the 'hydroplate'. But I can't grasp how the water moved the hydroplate which had either expelled the flood water into the air or (more feasible) collapsed to expose the water as a 'Flood'. I can't see any mechanism other than tectonic plate movement that would then cause the strata to buckle as mountains. Flood water above the basalt would just lie there or surge about if there was a storm. It could cause erosion, but not continental drift which is what produces mountains. And remember, you posit the Flood as planing off the tilted strata which you than say was laid down by the Flood and other Flood strata on top. Again, I say, you are trying to cram too much differing geology into just a couple of years.
If the tectonic plates were not 'floating' how could the flood water move them? Explain, please.

Of course there is water deep underground, but that is no evidence of subterranean reservoir. Water seeps through rock and collects underground all over the world, not just in one place where an underground reservoir used to be. I'd have to look into this deep borehole claim of water under he 'crust'. If as deep as that, I fail to see what that could have to do with a huge reservoir that expelled (for some reason) all its'water or the roof collapsed to expose it. This sub -crust water can have nothing to do with that. Rather it supports the idea that water is a common element in the universe and is an integral part of planet -formation.
I will check this 'science was confounded' claim. I have heard such things before.

Yes, you have explained the unconformity - it was planed off by the flood that laid down the strata above and then caused the tilting of strata. But the tilting of the unconformity is below the flood - caused unconformity. You see the problem? You are trying to cram two geological events divided by this unconformity into ine event of a couple of years.
Mesas and buttes whether on land or water will deposit the eroded material in flat layers (strata). I have already explained that this is observed in real time today. It happens. it is not some guesswork explanation.

Ok your model proposes the breakup of Pangaea. So the continental plates separate, not collide. How could this movement caused by the flood water push up mountains if they were not colliding? The standard model says it's caused by collision with tectonic plates under the sea (or on land in the Himalayas, for instance) but how does a flood on top of the lands it is stratifying cause continental plates to collide especially if they are moving apart?
If I am supposed to relate the car -badges to the two angels, surely you can relate my analogy to the resurrection - stories.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #447

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Well now :D

"Scientists have long speculated that water is trapped in a rocky layer of the Earth's mantle located between the lower mantle and upper mantle, at depths between 250 miles and 410 miles. Jacobsen and Schmandt are the first to provide direct evidence that there may be water in this area of the mantle, known as the "transition zone," on a regional scale. The region extends across most of the interior of the United States."

So where, otseng, mate, did you get the claim that scientistys refused to believe it when hte deep drill found it. Please give your source for this grubby claim, which I do hope that you can blame on someone else.

Ok. O:) While I'm here, let's set out the analogy

that a (Matthew) says a ford with 2 people ran a red light. [two women, Mary and Mary] (b) Luke) says a a GM campervan with 6 persons in ran a red light [Luke and a whole bunch of ladies].

A (Matthew) says a flying saucer stopped the car with a tractor beam frightening the traffic cops (1) away. [earthquake and descending angel who frightens off the tomb -guard].
The alien pilot then got out and wrote the driver a ticket. 'You people appear in court tomorrow'. [angelic message in Matthew]
They went back to the car but on the way the Judge appeared and fined them a 100 dollars and told them to turn up at court the next day anyway. [Jesus appears and tells the Marys to tell the disciples to go to Galilee]
Which they did and the judge said 'Don't run red lights again'.[Jesus tells the disciples to go to all nations]
in Galilee,
B (Luke) however says the cop issued a ticket and told them to have a videophone hearing (because of C19). [different message, stay in Jerusalem and await the Holy Spirit]
meanwhile the kids on the school bus were told by a teacher they didn't know that their mom and all her lady friends in the GM van had been fined for running red lights. [Cleophas meets Jesus on the way to Emmaus. At least i give a reason for the kids going on the bus]
So they forgot about school and ran back home where dad complained he'd been fined for the traffic violation.[Cleophas is told that Jesus has appeared to Simon]
As they were discussing this, there was a knock on the door. The Judge walked in and said 'Got any beer?' [Jesus walks through the door and asks what's in the fridge]

Would you like John's version of the traffic violation? :D

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #448

Post by TRANSPONDER »

I had a bit of a read on Walt Brown's Hydroplate theory which is generally recycled in Creationist apologetics. So I am anticipating the explanation of the causing of mountains by buckling from subduct pressures cause by subterranean waters (as in the Creationist model) in a few months rather than from molten rock below the mantle causing tectonic plates to collide.

I took this from Kauban's 'Paluxy' website.

"Hydroplates vs. Plate Tectonics
Brown argues that the mid-Atlantic ridge, deep ocean trenches, and "ring of fire" volcanism, and mountain building are all better explained by his model than conventional plate tectonics, even though extensive geologic evidence indicates the opposite. Brown especially objects to the concept of subduction, where one tectonic plate is pushed under another over millions of years, gradually forming mountains and ocean trenches (Keary et al, 1996; Thompson, 1997). Brown claims that subduction is physically impossible; however, elsewhere in his book (p. 135) he argues that the reason the oceanic ridge appears to disappear under western North America is because "The North American plate probably overrode that segment of the ridge...", which implies subduction. Moreover, Brown's calculations purportedly proving subduction impossible have been shown to contain serious errors (Thompson, 1997). Not only is there compelling evidence that plate movements and subductions have occurred and are still occurring, but their rate has been precisely measured, and the geologic details of the movements well mapped in places (Zhao et al, 1997). Ironically, it is Brown's assertions that continent-sized "hydroplates" slid thousands of miles in a matter of months, and that entire mountain ranges were pushed up in a matter of "hours" as hydroplates "crashed" that strongly contradicts physical principles and extensive geologic data."

otseng
Savant

Post #449

Post by otseng »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:07 pm I suggest that you use the book used by Yeshua if you want to get to the foundational truth. Yeshua brought light to the original scriptures, which the "Christian" church has mostly nailed to a cross, and now think they are saved. But "saved" from what? They will all die, regardless of what their false prophet Paul might have preached, and which his minions have expanded upon.
I have no problem the Hebrew scriptures are considered canonical. From your answer, you imply only the Hebrew scriptures are canonical. Are there any NT books you consider authoritative?

But, you also seem to imply you believe in Jesus Christ. If so, on what basis do you believe in him? That is, how do you know what Jesus has said or done?

otseng
Savant

Post #450

Post by otseng »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:42 amLiquiescent (I seem unable to spell anything these days :? ) rock is the mechanism of tectonic plate movement. That (not flood water) is what causes the mountains and faults.
Definition of liquescent:
"being or tending to become liquid : MELTING"
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/liquescent

We've both agreed the mantle is solid rock. Again, it is ad hoc to say that even though it is solid rock, but it acts like a liquid.
Of course the Flood theory doesn't posit millions of years. That's the problem. Thousands of years is not really enough to allow the rock strata to be folded over like they were soft (any argument that they were heat - soft works less well if they are being caused by cold flood water) never mind a year or two as in the Bible.
The folding was on the order of days/weeks in the FM. There's no problem with that if the sediments were soft, and there's a proposed mechanism for the folding, and it fits the sedimentary pattern.
But I can't grasp how the water moved the hydroplate which had either expelled the flood water into the air or (more feasible) collapsed to expose the water as a 'Flood'.
When the crust split, it created the oceanic ridges. Brown says the ridges formed by the weight of the crust pushing down and then forming the ridges. I believe instead the ridges were formed by the negative water pressure gushing out of the split in the crust, like a giant vacuum cleaner sucking the floor and pulling everything up. There were two forces causing horizontal movement of the crust - the water coming out of the splits and the tilt of the oceanic ridge.

I can't see any mechanism other than tectonic plate movement that would then cause the strata to buckle as mountains. Flood water above the basalt would just lie there or surge about if there was a storm. I can't see any mechanism other than tectonic plate movement that would then cause the strata to buckle as mountains.
As the hydroplate eventually hit the underlaying basalt layer when all the subterranean water was gone, it stopped the horizontal movement of the hydroplate. But, the sedimentary layers on top of the hydroplate kept moving due to momentum. It is at this point the sedimentary layers buckled and formed the mountains. Think of it as a pile of rocks on a rail car. The rail car is the hydroplate and the pile of rocks is the sedimentary layers. Then the rail car loses its wheels and grinds to a stop on the railroad tracks. But the rocks on top of the rail car would fly off the rail car.
Rather it supports the idea that water is a common element in the universe and is an integral part of planet -formation.
Then it's no problem to posit a huge underground water reservoir prior to the global flood.
But the tilting of the unconformity is below the flood - caused unconformity. You see the problem? You are trying to cram two geological events divided by this unconformity into ine event of a couple of years.
The two events are the two splits of the crust west and east of the Americas. The west split resulted in the supergroup. The east split resulted in the layers above that.
Mesas and buttes whether on land or water will deposit the eroded material in flat layers (strata). I have already explained that this is observed in real time today. It happens. it is not some guesswork explanation.
The question is what caused the flat erosion in Monument valley. Yes, deposits formed the original strata (which the mesas/buttes originally were part of). But some erosion happened after all the layers were deposited that caused the vast flat areas and the occasional mesas/buttes that we see now. Note, this type of pattern only exists in a few areas in the country. And the FM as well can reliably predict where these areas should be.
The standard model says it's caused by collision with tectonic plates under the sea (or on land in the Himalayas, for instance) but how does a flood on top of the lands it is stratifying cause continental plates to collide especially if they are moving apart?
Mountain formation is by the momentum of the sedimentary strata buckling as explained above.

For the Himalayas, what do you mean by "on land"?
TRANSPONDER wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:01 am "Scientists have long speculated that water is trapped in a rocky layer of the Earth's mantle located between the lower mantle and upper mantle, at depths between 250 miles and 410 miles. Jacobsen and Schmandt are the first to provide direct evidence that there may be water in this area of the mantle, known as the "transition zone," on a regional scale. The region extends across most of the interior of the United States."

So where, otseng, mate, did you get the claim that scientistys refused to believe it when hte deep drill found it. Please give your source for this grubby claim, which I do hope that you can blame on someone else.
I was just quoting what the article said, I'm not saying subterranean water cannot exist. So, your source then confirms the FM model that subterranean water can exist.
Ok. O:) While I'm here, let's set out the analogy
Sorry, I do not see the direct correlation.

Let's go back a step. Do any of the witnesses claim Jesus did not resurrect from the dead? This is the doctrinal point of the argument.

Anything else is non-doctrinal points:
"earthquake and descending angel who frightens off the tomb -guard"
"angelic message in Matthew"
"Jesus appears and tells the Marys to tell the disciples to go to Galilee"

Even if all these non-doctrinal points were fictitious, it would not alter any core Christian beliefs.