Ten Commandments

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Ten Commandments

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Ask 1000 christians "What, exactly, counts as 'a sin'?" and you'd probably get various answers. Most, somewhere in the conversation, would likely visit the Ten Commandments. Fair enough, I suppose. But are there other things that aren't included in the Ten Commandments - outliers - that are also sin?
Some say it's a sin to smoke, drink, do drugs, curse. Some say those are OK so long as you're not over indulging in them.
Some say it's a sin to kill another human being, while others say it's not if it pertains to justice and or self defense.
Some say it's a sin to blaspheme, yet many can't agree on what that is, exactly.
Some say it's a sin to disobey god, while others say it's not a sin, just not a good idea.
Some say it's a sin to be gay, while others say it's not, but the act it, while others still say being gay is not an issue.
Some say it's a sin to have sex before marriage, while others say it's not, while others still say having sex is a union and thus, dictates being married.

It seems that, if sin separates one from god, it's an important enough concept in which everyone should be able to fully grasp.

So, assuming violating the 10 CMDMTS is a sin, are there other things that are sinful as well? If yes, what are they, exactly? If not, is it safe to say obeying the 10 CMDMTS is a sure-fire way to avoid sin?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Tcg
Savant

Re: Ten Commandments

Post #61

Post by Tcg »

1213 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:16 pm If person is righteous, he regrets his wrong action and doesn't want to do it again. And then it is forgiven and not a problem.
We've already seen that the author of Ezekial disagrees with this. Of course, we shouldn't be surprised when specific parts of the Bible text are ignored. This method can be used to craft whatever teaching is desired.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Savant

Post #62

Post by 1213 »

Tcg wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:25 am
1213 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:16 pm If person is righteous, he regrets his wrong action and doesn't want to do it again. And then it is forgiven and not a problem.
We've already seen that the author of Ezekial disagrees with this. ...
Please explain why do you think so, because I don't think he disagrees.

Savant

Post #63

Post by 1213 »

Miles wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:10 pm
1213 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:16 pm I think there is only one thing that is a sin, to reject God and righteousness.
And all the time the Bible goes on and on about concealing and confessing one's sinS. What a waste. Right?
Please give one example? And please explain what do you think is a sin and why? Are atheists really the best people to determine what is a sin?

POI
Prodigy

Post #64

Post by POI »

1213 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:16 pm
POI wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:44 pm ...
What's the difference between a 'righteous lie' verses an 'evil lie'? They are both still lies. They are both still sin. God apparently hates all sin. Lying is a sin. Lying is also listed within the 10 Commandments. Is there such a things s a 'good' lie? I doubt it, according to YHWH. The 9th Commandment is quite clear.
I don't think righteous lie is possible. And I don't think there is any good lie.
Great! You just confirmed everything I already said. So guess what, no one is then deemed 'righteous.' Why? You would have to lie to a terrorist, or to preserve a surprise, or to not hurt someone's feelings, or etc....

So if God thinks there is no 'good lie', then no one is 'righteous'. Why mention not to lie, when God knows everyone (Christian or not), will lie anyways; no matter what?
1213 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:16 pm
POI wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:44 pm...
You acknowledged "it is not a must" to repent of every single sin. ...
I think there is only one thing that is a sin, to reject God and righteousness. When one does that, it leads to unlawfulness, wickedness and all bad/evil things.

Making a mistake, doing some wrong things, is not necessary a sin, if person doesn't reject God and righteousness. If person is righteous, he regrets his wrong action and doesn't want to do it again. And then it is forgiven and not a problem.
Your response is objectively false. EVERYONE will lie. No one is then "righteous."

Are you saying no one goes to Heaven? Remember, 'not lying' is one of the 10 Commandments.
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

tam
Savant

Post #65

Post by tam »

Peace to you,

This might just be a side point to your guys' discussion, but...
[Replying to POI in post #64]

Remember, 'not lying' is one of the 10 Commandments.
It is not one of the ten commandments, actually.

The commandment is "do not bear false witness against your neighbor'. That involves lying of course, but of a particular kind.

That does not mean that lying isn't a sin. But in some circumstances, that is a sin may be covered over by love. ("Love covers over a multitude of sins"; which is why the law from God, from the beginning is LOVE, against which there is no law; and so Christ can say that the most important commandments - upon which the rest hang - are to love God with your whole heart, mind, soul... and to love your neighbor as yourself). For example, if you knew there were Jews hiding in your basement, but you told the officials in Germany that there were no Jews around, well that is a lie... but if that is a sin, it is one that is covered over by love.

Love is the law that is from God, from the beginning.

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

Wootah
Savant

Post #66

Post by Wootah »

1213 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:16 pm I think there is only one thing that is a sin, to reject God and righteousness.
And all the time the Bible goes on and on about concealing and confessing one's sinS. What a waste. Right?

Making a mistake, doing some wrong things, is not necessary a sin, if person doesn't reject God and righteousness.
Why would making a mistake ever be a sin?

Confession is good for you, so not a waste. Suppose you want to get good at tennis. You can try to play harder but sometimes you need to confess your weaknesses and get help to correct your game. This probably applies to all endeavours. The best sportsmen often claim that they barely know the game they are masters of. What a waste? Right?

One definition of sin is 'missing the mark'. So if you aim for the bullseye and miss then you sinned. So mistakes are sins.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

brunumb
Savant

Post #67

Post by brunumb »

Wootah wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:12 am One definition of sin is 'missing the mark'. So if you aim for the bullseye and miss then you sinned. So mistakes are sins.
To me that sounds like a very flawed definition of sin. If you "aim for the bullseye" then you are doing your best to be perfect. If you miss, then that is not really a mistake, but rather reflects a limitation on your part over which you apparently have no control. That doesn't sound at all sinful.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Miles
Savant

Post #68

Post by Miles »

1213 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:40 pm
Please give one example?
I'm surprised anyone would have to point out that the Bible speaks of there being more than one sin, but okay.

Proverbs 28:13
Whoever conceals their sins does not prosper,
but the one who confesses and renounces them finds mercy.

Isaiah 29:15
Woe to those who deeply hide their plans from the Lord,
And whose deeds are done in a dark place,

Isaiah 59:2
But your iniquities have made a separation between you and your God, and your sins have hidden his face from you so that he does not hear.

Acts 2:38
And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

James 5:16
Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.

1 John 1:9
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

Acts 3:19
Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord.

Acts 2:38
Peter said to them, “Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Matthew 3:6
and they were being baptized by him in the Jordan River, as they confessed their sins.

And please explain what do you think is a sin and why?
Whatever the Bible says is a sin, plus anything conforming to it's common definition as found in 1 John 3:4:, which, in effect, says sin is purposely disobeying the rules of God.

Are atheists really the best people to determine what is a sin?
I don't know, but I don't see why their atheism would prevent them from understanding the simple words of the Bible as well as any Christian. I, an atheist for example, am pretty sure what 1 John 3:4 as expressed in the Amplified Bible means, and assume you do as well. Or is there some hidden meaning here, one only decipherable by being a Christian, a Muslim, or whatever else?

"sin is lawlessness [ignoring God’s law by action or neglect or by tolerating wrongdoing—being unrestrained by His commands and His will]."

Miles
Savant

Post #69

Post by Miles »

Wootah wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:12 am

Making a mistake, doing some wrong things, is not necessary a sin, if person doesn't reject God and righteousness.
Why would making a mistake ever be a sin?

Confession is good for you, so not a waste. Suppose you want to get good at tennis. You can try to play harder but sometimes you need to confess your weaknesses and get help to correct your game. This probably applies to all endeavours. The best sportsmen often claim that they barely know the game they are masters of. What a waste? Right?

One definition of sin is 'missing the mark'. So if you aim for the bullseye and miss then you sinned. So mistakes are sins.
In my experience, in sinning very few people, if any, actually aim to do the sinless act, but rather end up doing sin instead. They commit the sin because that's what they aimed to do. Besides, why would god hold an honest attempt to do the right thing to be a sin when obviously something outside the individual's ability caused him fail in his attempt? If this is your god then it would make him less understanding and moral than myself, along with what I estimate to be millions of others. Of course his simple stand on slavery and male homosexual activity has already shown him to be morally deficient.

Savant

Post #70

Post by 1213 »

Miles wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:14 am ...
Whatever the Bible says is a sin, plus anything conforming to it's common definition as found in 1 John 3:4:, which, in effect, says sin is purposely disobeying the rules of God.
Thank you for the scriptures. I can now accept that there is sin. But the question still remains, what exactly is called sin in the Bible. You nicely point out this:

Everyone who sins also commits lawlessness. Sin is lawlessness.
1 John 3:4

By that, when persons sins, he commits lawlessness. I think that separates sin to be something that person first does. And because I have understood sin is to reject God, by rejecting God, one also rejects God’s law, which is why it can be called also lawlessness.

I think righteousness and sin are like states of mind, that produce righteousness, or sin. Which is why I think sin is actually what sinner does. In what state of mind person is when doing something, determines is it sin or not. This does not mean that wrong act would be right, if righteous does it. It means only that if righteous does something that is not good, the motive for doing it is not sinful, which is why it can be called a mistake, not sin. But, this is how I understand it, if you think Bible means something else, go by that.