Aliens and god - how would we react?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Aliens and god - how would we react?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Seems NASA has 'hired' (some say 'enlisted') some theologians to study how humanity would react to knowing we're not alone in the universe.
https://nypost.com/2021/12/27/nasa-hire ... iens-book/
https://futurism.com/the-byte/nasa-priests-aliens
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technolo ... ar-AAS7KE3

For discussion:
1) How would knowing other life exists off planet impact (in this case) christianity (or will it)?
2) How would knowing other life exists off planet impact the general public?
3) How would knowing other life exists off planet impact your own personal view of god?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: Aliens and god - how would we react?

Post #2

Post by TRANSPONDER »

:D This one has come up before and it's amazing how on volved it gets and how it seems to bother some Believers. To me it would only matter if the Believer though the Babylonian cosmos was true. Earth was a flat circle with a dome over it and God on his Throne on top.

Otherwise (donning my theist hat with dangled star sequinos and fly -papers) Id say 'it doesn't matter. God had his plan for man on this planet and no doubt he has his plan for the lounge -lizard people of Thrill'. No doubt involving eating a large fly they were told not to eat and Lizard Jesus having to sacrifice his tail for the salvation of Lizardry.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by nobspeople »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:01 pm :D This one has come up before and it's amazing how on volved it gets and how it seems to bother some Believers. To me it would only matter if the Believer though the Babylonian cosmos was true. Earth was a flat circle with a dome over it and God on his Throne on top.

Otherwise (donning my theist hat with dangled star sequinos and fly -papers) Id say 'it doesn't matter. God had his plan for man on this planet and no doubt he has his plan for the lounge -lizard people of Thrill'. No doubt involving eating a large fly they were told not to eat and Lizard Jesus having to sacrifice his tail for the salvation of Lizardry.
I've always thought that way, too. However, I've been told by some it boils down to 'the soul'. And it seems some believe only humans have souls, including animals and extra planetary species. For those, I think it would be a challenge (or not - they could just out right not believe it I suppose).

I wonder what christians think about other species with souls living off planet and how that interacts with their religious dogma, indoctrination, book, belief, whatever.

Savant

Post #4

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:32 am ...
For discussion:
1) How would knowing other life exists off planet impact (in this case) christianity (or will it)?
2) How would knowing other life exists off planet impact the general public?
3) How would knowing other life exists off planet impact your own personal view of god?
Bible tells that there are other beings, like angels and demons, or children of humans and fallen angels. And so, we are not alone in the universe, if we believe what the Bible tells. I think those beings are more likely extradimensional, rather than outside of this planet. I believe the “aliens”, if they exist, are probably those fallen angels, demons. I think it is also probable that government eventually reveals such beings as their gods. But, it is also possible that they fake alien beings for purposes to rule the world even more tyrannical way.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #5

Post by TRANSPONDER »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:12 pm
TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:01 pm :D This one has come up before and it's amazing how on volved it gets and how it seems to bother some Believers. To me it would only matter if the Believer though the Babylonian cosmos was true. Earth was a flat circle with a dome over it and God on his Throne on top.

I've always thought that way, too. However, I've been told by some it boils down to 'the soul'. And it seems some believe only humans have souls, including animals and extra planetary species. For those, I think it would be a challenge (or not - they could just out right not believe it I suppose).

I wonder what christians think about other species with souls living off planet and how that interacts with their religious dogma, indoctrination, book, belief, whatever.

Very good point. It could come down to a doctrinal problem. The sould on the face of it is not just life -force but intelligence, and we (or they) can tell themselves that animals don't have it. Still wearing my theist hat (which is denying loudly that its' name was ever romantically linked with the Hogwarts sorting - hat) I's say the lizard people can have souls of their own because they are Intelligent, whereas the flies they eat aren't and don't. No problem.

But I can see that it could cause dogmatic problems if they insist that 'god's image' isn't just a matter of intelligence, but the way we are made. Two legs and no tail. A god that made the lizard folk....couldn't be that god and I can see the doctrinal problem there. But, thankfully taking off the Hat and locking it in the lead -lined box with padded sides so it doesn't keep me awake banging around at nights, I can say it isn't my problem.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by nobspeople »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:01 pm

Very good point. It could come down to a doctrinal problem. The sould on the face of it is not just life -force but intelligence, and we (or they) can tell themselves that animals don't have it. Still wearing my theist hat (which is denying loudly that its' name was ever romantically linked with the Hogwarts sorting - hat) I's say the lizard people can have souls of their own because they are Intelligent, whereas the flies they eat aren't and don't. No problem.

But I can see that it could cause dogmatic problems if they insist that 'god's image' isn't just a matter of intelligence, but the way we are made. Two legs and no tail. A god that made the lizard folk....couldn't be that god and I can see the doctrinal problem there. But, thankfully taking off the Hat and locking it in the lead -lined box with padded sides so it doesn't keep me awake banging around at nights, I can say it isn't my problem.
People have 'tail like structures' before they're born (some may even be born with tails, twice as likely in males than females). What's up with them?!?! Are they no better than those stinkin' lizard people !?!
Pish posh!, says I!

brunumb
Savant

Post #7

Post by brunumb »

1213 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:29 pm I think those beings are more likely extradimensional, rather than outside of this planet. I believe the “aliens”, if they exist, are probably those fallen angels, demons.
And covid-19 is not real while doctors are killing people on behalf of pharmaceutical companies. OK. :shock:
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #8

Post by TRANSPONDER »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:18 pm
TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:01 pm

People have 'tail like structures' before they're born (some may even be born with tails, twice as likely in males than females). What's up with them?!?! Are they no better than those stinkin' lizard people !?!
Pish posh!, says I!

:D Oh the Tail -like structures are not vestigial tails, no more than the vestigial hind legs of whales. God put them there for a Purpose. So we humung beans are nothing to do with animals, nor intelligent lizards. We are made in God's image and He in ours, with two arms, two legs, a beard and whiskers and all the bits that justify calling God 'He'. And all invisible and a spirit, too. And if that makes no sense, then that only proves how wonderfully miraculous and beyond mere humung logic it all is.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by nobspeople »

brunumb wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:27 pm
1213 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:29 pm I think those beings are more likely extradimensional, rather than outside of this planet. I believe the “aliens”, if they exist, are probably those fallen angels, demons.
And covid-19 is not real while doctors are killing people on behalf of pharmaceutical companies. OK. :shock:
It's funny how people see things they want to see. Some see aliens as fallen angels or demons while others saw aliens as angels and demons. Perspective, and all that.
Which is more likely: a powerful, technologically advanced mortal being or a spiritual being with 'magical' powers?
Gee, I wonder.
Having said that, I wonder why 'extradimensional' excludes any 'soul having' beings?

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #10

Post by TRANSPONDER »

I wonder. Extra -dimensional ads a whole new...ah...layer to the discussion. One would suppose that they You that was in another dimension (handsome, rich, successful - sorry you don't get to pick dimensions) also had a soul, but somehow I can see the Bible -believers not being happy about God having to provide an infinite number of custom - made souls for an infinite number of yous just because science said He should.