Moderator: Moderators

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Magic Evil Psychic Spirits

Post #1

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 27 here:
mgb wrote: People who use spiritual/psychic methods to obtain material goods are practicing magic (in league with evil spirits).
For debate:

Please offer some means to confirm any of that is true and factual.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Tcg
Savant

Re: Magic Evil Psychic Spirits

Post #11

Post by Tcg »

bjs1 wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:23 am
Tcg wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:38 pm
1bjs1 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:29 am I am unaware of any official “Christian” teaching on this topic, but the overwhelming majority of Christians throughout the ages have held that magic is a fantasy.
One has to wonder how it would be possible to know what "the overwhelming majority of Christians throughout the ages" have held on this subject.
However the early Imperial church, as well as the Roman Catholic Church and Orthodox Church after the great schism, taught that witchcraft does not exist.
Well, ignoring the fact that this claim is unsupported by evidence, it also fails to address an earlier claim. Let's line them up to clarify the inherent fallacy:

"the overwhelming majority of Christians throughout the ages have held that magic is a fantasy."

"the Roman Catholic Church and Orthodox Church after the great schism, taught that witchcraft does not exist."

What the churches taught, which was of course handed down by an astonishingly small group of Christians, does not necessarily represent what the majority of Christians believed. Beyond that, those you claim, but have not provided evidence of, held that witchcraft doesn't exist disagree with what is reportedly God's opinion on the matter:
Michah 5:12 I will destroy your witchcraft
and you will no longer cast spells.
Not that we should be surprised that some Christians overlook the text they claim their faith is based on. They of course would also have to overlook the prohibitions against witchcraft and divination found in Exodus, Leviticus and Deuteronomy. God spent a bit of effort addressing that which you claim Christianity teaches doesn't exist. Perhaps those Christians haven't yet gotten around to reading the Old Testament.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Post #12

Post by Tcg »

bjs1 wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:23 am
Obviously you are free to believe that these “secret arts” are literal magic as opposed to sleight of hand.
I don't believe any of these things happened. I am addressing what the text describes as having happened. But feel free to explain why you think this tale is describing "sleight of hand" rather than literal magic and please be specific.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #13

Post by nobspeople »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:28 pm From Post 27 here:
mgb wrote: People who use spiritual/psychic methods to obtain material goods are practicing magic (in league with evil spirits).
For debate:

Please offer some means to confirm any of that is true and factual.
If a person worships XYZ, and XYZ says only ABC is good everything else is evil, that person will say everything other than ABC is evil most times without even knowing what they're talking about in any way, shape or form.
Then they write that check and hand it over to what they 'worship' and 'enjoy life'.
It's a rather simple but effect gig, for sure (so long as you're in cahoots with the thing being worshipped).
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Post #14

Post by Aetixintro »

[Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #1]

I'll put in mine:
I find that Telepathy has been proven by millions of people now with heightened senses.
With telepathy, you can actually stretch out and stimulate beings, whether ghosts or corporeal, to feel good or feel the badness of their own selves. This is one side.
The other is that nature is truly good on the whole. It's homo sapiens who do the torture and create desecrated places as result.
So to conclude: "magic" evil, psychic spirits or ghosts, they must be humans! Torture does not take place in nature if not for the human beings.
Finally: you can check yourselves with the omniscient computers. Just ask the computers!
:thanks:
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #15

Post by nobspeople »

Aetixintro wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:01 pm [Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #1]

I'll put in mine:
I find that Telepathy has been proven by millions of people now with heightened senses.
With telepathy, you can actually stretch out and stimulate beings, whether ghosts or corporeal, to feel good or feel the badness of their own selves. This is one side.
The other is that nature is truly good on the whole. It's homo sapiens who do the torture and create desecrated places as result.
So to conclude: "magic" evil, psychic spirits or ghosts, they must be humans! Torture does not take place in nature if not for the human beings.
Finally: you can check yourselves with the omniscient computers. Just ask the computers!
I think there's a lot more to this world and 'existence' than most people realize or accept. Thanks for your post!

brunumb
Savant

Post #16

Post by brunumb »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:06 am I think there's a lot more to this world and 'existence' than most people realize or accept.
I think there is a lot less to this world than people imagine. Oh well. :(
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #17

Post by nobspeople »

brunumb wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:52 pm
nobspeople wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:06 am I think there's a lot more to this world and 'existence' than most people realize or accept.
I think there is a lot less to this world than people imagine. Oh well. :(
Maybe so. Who know?!!? :confused2:

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #18

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Aetixintro wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:01 pm [Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #1]

I'll put in mine:
I haven't seen convincing evidence of telepathy, though I have seen some Unexplained things happen, but the subliminal body language accounted for some of it so -again - unexplained in not evidence of anything. And I can't agree that Nature is Good. Evidence says that Evolution is not nice, but it is true. The rest seems speculative.

I hate to be negative about someone just putting their views, but it has to be said.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #19

Post by JoeyKnothead »

I'll put in mine:
Please present confirmatory data for analysis.
And for this.
Where "good" is a subjective term, we can consider any and every thing 'good'.
I'm sure mice just love when cats get in their training.
If computers were so omniscient, they'da done posted this for me, so I could be chasing me the pretty thing around the pool table.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin