Forced vaccinations

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Forced vaccinations

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

With the increase of COVID infections lately, some places are forcing their employees to get vaccinated against COVID.

Is this the right thing to do, or no?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: Forced vaccinations

Post #41

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to William in post #40]
The reason vaccination is in vouge is because the materialist economy is under threat.
Unsubstantiated opinion at best. Unless you have data to back it up?
Excessiveness was grounded. A virus clipped its wings.
Seems most millionaires and billionaires (what some would call the definition of excess) are still doing just fine, virus or not. Sure some may loose some money but not enough for them to legitimately worry about.
I see little point in a Christian trying to defend Christianity with the words 'it isn't Christianity at fault but some of those calling themselves Christians who are selfish."
Ok.....
Face it - no "ism" is free of selfish humanity.
My point all along. I'd go as far as saying most, if not anything 'of humanity' is free of selfishness, '-ism' or no.
Materialism gives opportunity for such selfishness to survive in the short-term at least...
No, humanity does. Materialism is simply a result of humanity.
All I am saying is that when a materialist points at Christians and observes selfish humans, it is no different than my pointing to materialism and seeing the same thing.
That's fine. Humanity is selfish, which is what I've been saying all along. You're just pointing out one tiny section of the human experience and getting upset about it here. Which is your right, of course.
Humanity is taking a toll on the planet on a myriad of ways. Materialism is just one of which most all of humanity is guilty.

William
Savant

Post #42

Post by William »

[Replying to nobspeople in post #41]
The reason vaccination is in vouge is because the materialist economy is under threat.
Oh - so do you have a verifiable reason vaccination is in vouge, other than the materialist economy is under threat?

The Global Economic Outlook During the COVID-19 Pandemic: A Changed World

Coronavirus: How the pandemic has changed the world economy

These 8 charts show how the global economy is coping with COVID-19
You're just pointing out one tiny section of the human experience and getting upset about it here.
Really? You believe that the world economy is simply one tiny section of the human experience?
:shock:

Tcg
Savant

Post #43

Post by Tcg »

William wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:08 pm [Replying to nobspeople in post #41]
Oh - so do you have a verifiable reason vaccination is in vouge, other than the materialist economy is under threat?
It is your duty to support your claims, not another's to disprove them. However, that whole dying of COVID-19 thing and causing others to die may explain it. Just a hunch.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

William
Savant

Post #44

Post by William »

Ah what use is a materialist economy without materialist humans making it so.

I stand by my assertion that the reason vaccination is in vouge is because the materialist economy is under threat and the evidence I linked to supports the assertions made.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #45

Post by Purple Knight »

William wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:27 amI stand by my assertion that the reason vaccination is in vouge is because the materialist economy is under threat and the evidence I linked to supports the assertions made.
It's technically abductive reasoning but I still agree with your conclusion, and that there is pretty damning, if circumstantial, evidence. If it walks like a penguin, quacks like a penguin, and has an avatar of a penguin, eventually you have to admit it's probably a penguin.

It comes down to, do you have a right to possibly give someone a dangerous disease, or not. If it's really not, then we all need to not only vaccinate and wear masks, but be inside bubbles, so the bubble boys can be outside of the bubbles.

Diseases are a fact of life, as is the fact that some people die of them. The idea that we have to take on possible individual detriments (whether the individuals assess that correctly or not) so others can have benefits is silly in a competitive society. It works in a cooperative society but we don't live in one. This isn't a commentary about the political system. This is a commentary mostly about peoples' lack of any desire to cooperate. Nobody cooperates the guy who has doubts about the vaccine; they take any chance for social benefit and throw him under the bus of ridicule to show how smart they are. When they die because he wouldn't vaccinate and then he gave them the virus, as far as I'm concerned they only slept in the beds they made. If we want the better bed, we have to make it.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #46

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to William in post #42]
Fear as advertised and accepted by the media and the public, for starters. If this wasn't readily visible by everyone with a TV set, this, too, would be an unsubstantiated claim. But it's very substantiated.
You believe that the world economy is simply one tiny section of the human experience?
For many, yes. People existed long before an economy existed. In other words, there's more to life than 'money'. Important, yes. But just how important seems to depend on the individual(s) asked.

William
Savant

Post #47

Post by William »

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #48

Post by nobspeople »

William wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:48 am [Replying to nobspeople in post #46]

Fear?
Of dying. Of getting sick. Or purple elephants. People fear many things - some of which are questionable and (sometimes) nonexistent

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #49

Post by Purple Knight »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:21 amPeople existed long before an economy existed.
Yes, and cells existed before people. And people existed before the Borg.

In both cases, the top-level organisational structure becomes overriding in importance. I don't often think of the wellbeing of one of my single cells, and the Borg don't care about what happens to one of their drones.

And if I don't serve the Bor- *cough* I mean, the Economy and produce something it wants, I starve, and too bad. The Economy doesn't care about me as an individual.

The Barbarian
Sage

Post #50

Post by The Barbarian »

Diogenes wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:54 pm
There is legal precedent for imposing vaccinations. The smallpox pandemic inspired the Supreme Court ruling in Jacobson v Massachusetts,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacobson_v._Massachusetts.
There is, therefore, no legal obstacle to imposing vaccinations. What of the moral or ethical issues? A Christian need look no farther than the 'Great Commandment,' that one should do for others, what one wants done to oneself. Why would any moral person not want to protect others from a dangerous virus by the simple expedient of a free and safe vaccination?
Yes. This is true. It's legal, according to the Supreme Court.