Witches

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

Witches

Post #1

Post by Miles »

Aside from whatever TV or movie super heroes are currently invogue, during Halloween kids have traditionally celebrated the holiday dressed up as ghosts, goblins, and witches (along with princesses and other fairly folk). While some of the younger children may believe such creatures actually exist, I think it's safe to say most of the older kids and adults easily dismiss such a belief. Yet for Jews and Christians there's the constant Biblical reminder that witches are real entities, and so undesirable that they deserve to be put to death no less.

NOTE: Because the essence of the 20 verses below is not meaningful here---only the fact that witches are recognized as actual beings is important---many of the verses have been abbreviated.

Exodus 7:11
Forsooth Pharaoh called forth wise men, and witches, and they also did by enchantments of Egypt, and by some privy things, in like manner;

Exodus 7:22

And the witches of [the] Egyptians did in like manner by their enchantments; and the heart of Pharaoh was made hard, and he heard not them, as the Lord commanded.

Exodus 8:7

Forsooth and the witches did in like manner by their enchantments; and they brought forth paddocks on the land of Egypt.

Exodus 8:18

And the witches did in like manner by their enchantments, that they should bring forth gnats, and they might not; and gnats were as well in men as in work beasts.

Exodus 8:19

And the witches said to Pharaoh, This is the finger of God. And the heart of Pharaoh was made hard, and he heard not them, as the Lord commanded

Exodus 9:11

. . . . and the witches might not stand before Moses, for the wounds, or sores, that were in them, and in all the land of Egypt.

Exodus 22:18

Thou shalt not suffer witches to live.

Deuteronomy 18:10
. . . . none be found in thee that cleanseth his son, either his daughter, and leadeth by the fire, either that asketh questions of diviners that divine about the altars, and that taketh heed to dreams, and (to) chittering of birds; neither any witch be (among you), . . . .

1 Samuel 28:3
Forsooth Samuel was dead, and all Israel bewailed him, and they buried him in Ramah, his city. And Saul did away from the land witches and false diviners.

1 Samuel 28:9

And the woman said to him, Lo! thou knowest how great things Saul hath done, and how he hath done away from the land witches, and false diviners

2 Chronicles 33:6
And he made his sons to pass through the fire in the valley of Ben-hinnom; he kept (watch over) dreams; he followed false divining by (the) chittering of birds; and he served witchcrafts; and he had with him astrologers and enchanters, . . .

Isaiah 47:12
Stand thou with thine enchanters, and with the multitude of thy witches, in which thou travailedest from thy youth; if in hap they profit anything to thee, either if thou mayest be made the stronger.

Jeremiah 27:9
Therefore do not ye hear your prophets, and false diviners, and dreamers, and diviners by (the) chittering and flying of birds, and witches, that say to you, Ye shall not serve the king of Babylon;

Daniel 2:2
Therefore the king commanded, that the (false) diviners, and astronomers, and witches, and Chaldees should be called together, that they should tell to the king his dreams; and when they were come, they stood before the king.

Acts 8:9
But there was a man in that city, whose name was Simon, a witch . . . .

Acts 13:6
And when they had walked by all the isle to Paphos, they found a man, a witch . . . .

Acts 13:8
But Elymas the witch withstood them; for his name is expounded so; and he sought to turn away the proconsul from belief.

Galatians 5:20
. . . . service of false gods [serving to idols, or false gods], witchcrafts, enmities, strivings [strives], indignations, wraths, chidings, dissensions, sects [sects, or heresies],

Revelation 9:21
. . . . and [they] did not penance of their manslayings, neither of their witchcrafts, neither of their fornication, neither of their thefts, were slain

Revelation 18:23

. . . . and the light of [the] lantern shall no more shine in thee, and the voice of the husband and of the wife shall no more be heard in thee; for thy merchants were princes of the earth. For in thy witchcrafts all folks erred.
Source: The Wycliff Bible

So it's quite evident the Bible considers witches to be just as real as any of the other people it mentions, but as a Jew or Christian whose ancient predecessors were instructed to stay away from witchcraft and kill witches, do you believe they still exist? Does your church recognize witches, and has it ever preached against witchcraft?

Consider this amusing warning about witches from Bible Reasons:

What does the Bible say about witchcraft?

Many deceived people say that you can still be a Christian and practice witchcraft, which is false. It’s sad that now there is witchcraft in the church and so-called men of God are allowing this to happen. Black magic is real and throughout Scripture it is condemned.

Witchcraft is from the devil and anyone who practices it will not enter into Heaven. It is an abomination to God!
When you start dabbling in witchcraft you open yourself up to demons and demonic influences which will indeed harm you.
Satan is very crafty and we must never let him take control of our lives.
If you know anyone who is involved in wicca try to help them to save their life, but if they refuse your help, stay away from that person.
Even though Christians don’t need to fear it, Satan is very powerful so we must stay away from all evilness and things of the occult.
The only way someone can read all these Scriptures and still think that witchcraft is OK is if you didn’t read them at all. Repent! Throw away all occultic items!
Christ can break any bondage to witchcraft. If you are not saved click the link at the top right corner.
source

Hmmm, counseling people to help witches or at least stay away from them, Bible Reasons seems to have forgotten about god's order to kill them. This isn't how Judaism and Christianity are suppose to work is it: only pay attention to those orders from god that are convenient?

bjs1
Sage

Re: Witches

Post #2

Post by bjs1 »

Miles wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:09 pm So it's quite evident the Bible considers witches to be just as real as any of the other people it mentions, but as a Jew or Christian ... do you believe they still exist?
Of course. I know several practicing Wiccans who call themselves witches. I, personally, have never seen any evidence that they can influence the physical world by non-physical means, but then the Bible never says that any of these “witches” can achieve that either.
Miles wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:09 pm Does your church recognize witches, and has it ever preached against witchcraft?
I can't say that it comes up that often, but yes, witches - usually called Wiccan - do exist and the Christian groups I have been a part of hold that Christians should not participate in their rituals. We also do not practice Hinduism, Shinto, or Buddhism. Everyone should be free to believe as they see fit, but being a Christians means that we are not part of a different religion. Honestly, that doesn't seem like a big revelation to me.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

Veridican
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by Veridican »

So it's quite evident the Bible considers witches to be just as real as any of the other people it mentions, but as a Jew or Christian whose ancient predecessors were instructed to stay away from witchcraft and kill witches, do you believe they still exist? Does your church recognize witches, and has it ever preached against witchcraft?
Witchcraft is definitely a real thing. I was heavily involved in the occult until I put those things aside and repented from them. But I didn't repent because I thought witchcraft was evil; I repented because witchcraft is a spiritual dead end. It nails you to this world and leaves you without the hope that we find in Jesus Christ. I think most witches are not evil by nature. I think they are spiritually-minded, but they are lost. After all, the modern Church doesn't offer much these days in the way of...well...anything. Also, people with spiritual gifts, if they feel ostracized by the Church, will go to wherever they can express those gifts.

I mean, I'm not defending witchcraft, but I'm not condemn witches, either, if they choose to change. Did you know that during the Salem Witch trials, you were off the hook if you actually admitted to practicing witchcraft but wanted to be forgiven. It's a forgivable sin, no different than any other sin. If one confessed to being a witch, and asked for forgiveness and repented, they weren't even put in prison. That was the end of it. If they didn't confess, however, well, we all know how that went--torture, hanging.

So, witchcraft is not compatible with following Christ. It's just not. I know that for a fact, but at the same time, one typically doesn't stop believing in God because they are a witch. They may even feel it's a way to worship God. But it's a dead end. It's not salvation, and it's not in Christ, and that's what matters spiritually.
All for Christ and only for Christ! :wave:

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by Athetotheist »

[Replying to Veridican in post #3]
If they didn't confess, however, well, we all know how that went--torture, hanging.
Yeah----even if they had nothing to confess to.

https://famous-trials.com/salem/2031-accused

Veridican
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by Veridican »

Exactly.
All for Christ and only for Christ! :wave:

brunumb
Savant

Post #6

Post by brunumb »

There are no witches. For whatever reason, people are still fearful of the imaginary or get some sort of satisfaction from indulging their fantasies.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Miles
Savant

Post #7

Post by Miles »

brunumb wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:22 am There are no witches. For whatever reason, people are still fearful of the imaginary or get some sort of satisfaction from indulging their fantasies.
They were eventually wiped out? Or are you implying there was no such thing as witches in the eyes of the ancients?

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #8

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Witches and witchcraft can mean a lot of things from herbal remedies to alternative beliefs that deal with supernatural. Some herbalism i believe has been shown to have merit. I looked (rather than dabbled in) into the Occult and concluded that it did not merit belief.

The point is that the reference to witches in the Bible is like references to evil spirits causing illness, information passed on by dreams, prayer, miracles and indeed a lot of stuff in the Bible that does not seem to be true. It is just another reason to treat the Bible as Myth and the Religions associated with it as mere human invention.

Savant

Post #9

Post by 1213 »

brunumb wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:22 am There are no witches.
What do you think Bible means with a witch?

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to Miles in post #1]

Witches exist, though they aren't much like what popular culture portends.
To me, saying 'XYZ doesn't exist, period' is very short sighted. Sure, there may not be a purple unicorn that poops hamburgers, but at some point, that thinking can't be applied to everything that may or may not exist. Where that point is, depends on many thing, however: people, situation, thing described, common sense and logic, etc.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!