Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Veridican
Banned
Banned

Why not just Jesus?

Post #1

Post by Veridican »

Do you ever wonder why, if we are Christians, we don't just follow the Gospels? Like, they would be our only canon of scripture, everything else would just be for historical reference, wisdom, or good advice, but we would be followers of Jesus ONLY. He would be our only teacher. Our canon then would be Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, and Revelation. Why has there never even been a cult, or church, or denomination like that in all of history? :?:
All for Christ and only for Christ! :wave:

Veridican
Banned
Banned

Re: Why not just Jesus?

Post #2

Post by Veridican »

You all have nothing? You have no answer to this? You will go on and on and on about the most minute doctrinal point, but you can't answer this one simple question. Why? Why has there never been in all of Christian history at least a cult of some sort that followed ONLY Jesus Christ?
Last edited by Veridican on Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

tam
Savant

Post #3

Post by tam »

Peace to you, and to you all,

[Replying to Veridican in post #2]

Just because you have not received an answer to a thread that some might not even have seen yet, doesn't mean there is no answer.

Quick response (since I am off for the night, but caught sight of this thread just before I left):

A Christian should be following Christ. Part of being Christian is being one of His disciples (His student/follower), listening to Him, remaining in His word.

I will check back in tomorrow and try and respond more then.

Peace again.
Last edited by tam on Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

Veridican
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by Veridican »

[Replying to tam in post #3]

I got rid of the offensive part. I edited out. Not sure what was wrong with me last night. I must say, however, I don't get it. I mean, I've started a religion that follows ONLY Jesus Christ, and a church, but I'm wondering why me? In all of Christian history, why "Ed?" How could I be the only one to have thought this up, and if I am, why has it been rejected as a religious idea--all throughout the centuries?

tam
Savant

Post #5

Post by tam »

Peace to you Ed,
Veridican wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:16 am [Replying to tam in post #3]

I got rid of the offensive part. I edited out. Not sure what was wrong with me last night. I must say, however, I don't get it. I mean, I've started a religion that follows ONLY Jesus Christ, and a church, but I'm wondering why me? In all of Christian history, why "Ed?" How could I be the only one to have thought this up, and if I am, why has it been rejected as a religious idea--all throughout the centuries?
(thank you, I edited it out of my post as well)

I hope you can accept the following in the manner of love which it is meant. I am Christian and I follow Christ (Jah'eshua). And yes absolutely, Christ (and His Father) come first!

I will never join a religion though, because these are not from Him, and my dear Lord has kept me out of them. Christ did not start a religion. His Church is His Body, made of people. We are invited to come to HIM. He calls and places us in His Body as HE sees fit. And we listen to Him, our Head, Master, Teacher and Lord.

There should be no "religious leaders" (and we should certainly not be called such), because ONE is our Leader (if indeed we are following Christ, if indeed we are in Him). ONE is our Teacher. ONE is our Master. (Matt 23:8-10) Religions end up with rules, doctrines (of their own making), and people adhere to those even over and above Christ. But only Christ is the Truth, and the One to whom God told us to listen. And if we love Him, as He has said, we will remain in His word, obey His teachings, and He and His Father will come and make their home with(in) us (John 14:21, 23)

"Whoever has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me. The one who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and reveal Myself to him."
“If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word. My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him."

As for canon (though the words of Christ in what is written should certainly come first because Christ comes first) - the TRUE Word of God, the Word of God WHO is alive and who speaks - is Christ, Himself. If one wants to know what is true, then come to Him. Ask Him. Test all things against Him, hold all things up to the Light (which light is of course Christ).

May anyone who wishes them be given ears to hear and to get a sense of these things. May anyone who wishes and anyone who thirsts, "Come! Take the free gift of the water of Life!"

(which water is holy spirit, poured out from Christ, given to Him without end from His Father)

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

Veridican
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by Veridican »

tam wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:28 am Peace to you Ed,

I hope you can accept the following in the manner of love which it is meant. I am Christian and I follow Christ (Jah'eshua). And yes absolutely, Christ (and His Father) come first!

I will never join a religion though, because these are not from Him, and my dear Lord has kept me out of them. Christ did not start a religion. His Church is His Body, made of people. We are invited to come to HIM. He calls and places us in His Body as HE sees fit. And we listen to Him, our Head, Master, Teacher and Lord.

There should be no "religious leaders" (and we should certainly not be called such), because ONE is our Leader (if indeed we are following Christ, if indeed we are in Him). ONE is our Teacher. ONE is our Master. (Matt 23:8-10) Religions end up with rules, doctrines (of their own making), and people adhere to those even over and above Christ. But only Christ is the Truth, and the One to whom God told us to listen. And if we love Him, as He has said, we will remain in His word, obey His teachings, and He and His Father will come and make their home with(in) us (John 14:21, 23)

"Whoever has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me. The one who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and reveal Myself to him."
“If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word. My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him."

As for canon (though the words of Christ in what is written should certainly come first because Christ comes first) - the TRUE Word of God, the Word of God WHO is alive and who speaks - is Christ, Himself. If one wants to know what is true, then come to Him. Ask Him. Test all things against Him, hold all things up to the Light (which light is of course Christ).

May anyone who wishes them be given ears to hear and to get a sense of these things. May anyone who wishes and anyone who thirsts, "Come! Take the free gift of the water of Life!"

(which water is holy spirit, poured out from Christ, given to Him without end from His Father)

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy
Great. I mean, that didn't answer my question or even address it, but it's nice to know you put Jesus first.

tam
Savant

Post #7

Post by tam »

Peace to you,

Okay, I'll try to answer the questions you asked, but I see two questions in your OP:
Do you ever wonder why, if we are Christians, we don't just follow the Gospels?

I do not wonder about that. If we are Christian then we are to follow Christ (some of His words and teachings are available in the gospels and in Revelation, but He is alive and not dead, and He did say that He had more to teach).

If the question was a bit rephrased, to 'why, if we are Christians, don't we just follow Christ', then I would suggest that a) such ones might not be Christian after all, and b) many have been misled into following a book, or a religion, or a religious leader instead of Christ, (editing in one more option) and/or c) not that many people want to know Him as He truly is (sadly).
Like, they would be our only canon of scripture, everything else would just be for historical reference, wisdom, or good advice, but we would be followers of Jesus ONLY. He would be our only teacher. Our canon then would be Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, and Revelation. Why has there never even been a cult, or church, or denomination like that in all of history?
I'm not sure there has never been a sect like that in all of history. If some sects started out that way, then they just did not continue that way. Granted, I have no idea how many sects have come and gone over the last couple thousand years or all that they taught.

The Church - the Body of Christ which is made of people (not a religion) - is focused on Christ, serving and bearing witness to Him, inviting people to come to Him. That Body existed before the gospels (or revelation) were written, and still exists now.

Did that answer your question? Or did you perhaps have a follow up?

Peace again to you.

Wootah
Savant

Post #8

Post by Wootah »

Veridican wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:05 pm Do you ever wonder why, if we are Christians, we don't just follow the Gospels? Like, they would be our only canon of scripture, everything else would just be for historical reference, wisdom, or good advice, but we would be followers of Jesus ONLY. He would be our only teacher. Our canon then would be Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, and Revelation. Why has there never even been a cult, or church, or denomination like that in all of history? :?:
What part's of the Bible outside those texts don't you like?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #9

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

Veridican wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:52 am You all have nothing? You have no answer to this? You will go on and on and on about the most minute doctrinal point, but you can't answer this one simple question. Why? Why has there never been in all of Christian history at least a cult of some sort that followed ONLY Jesus Christ?
The "cult" of Christianity follows the false shepherds, the false prophet Paul (Zechariah 11:7-10), and the "worthless shepherd", Peter (Zechariah 11:17). Apparently, those who "hold onto the testimony of Yeshua" and "keep the Commandments of God" (Revelation 12:16-17), are being held incognito from the presence of the "serpent".

Revelations won
Sage

Post #10

Post by Revelations won »

Dear Veridican,

Your opening post (Why not just Jesus?) poses a question worthy of a solid answer.

What was Jesus’s Church like?

What the foundation of his church?

Did the officers in the church have any priesthood power?

Was there anyone upon who was given the keys of the kingdom of God by Christ?

Was Jesus’s church guided by divine revelation?

I think that when the above are clearly answered, then your sought after answers may be found.

In Christ’s church he had chosen 12 apostles.

In christ’s church the keys of there kingdom of heaven were given to Peter as recorded in:

Matthew 16:19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

In Christ’s church was built upon the following foundation as recorded in:

Ephesians 2:
Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;

Additional officers in Christ’s church:

Philippians 1:1 |
Paul and Timotheus, the servants of Jesus Christ, to all the saints in Christ Jesus which are at Philippi, with the bishops and deacons:

Additionally we find in Christs church the following officers and powers:

1 Corinthians 12:28
And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

In Christ’s church we also find the following officers: listed:

Ephesians 4:11
And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

In the new testament times Christ’s church was guided by the spirit of prophecy and divine revelation to avoid error and false doctrines. Is there any reason that such should not also be the case in Christ’s church today? God is the same yesterday, today and forever. That being the case should not Christ’s church today be patterned after his church in former days? Does any man have any right to suppose divine authority to make a church better than Christ established?

Perhaps this will answer some of your questions.

Best regards,
RW