Body or no?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Body or no?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

In reading through the below article, it seems there's a divisive ideology over rather the body of jesus was physically raised at the resurrection or not.
For discussion:
Do you believe jesus physically rose or not?
Why does it matter one way or the other?
Or does it not matter and why?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/baptists-hol ... 43339.html
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Body or no?

Post #11

Post by JehovahsWitness »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:10 am
Make note, a personal belief can still be challenged or objected to in this format.
I have no problem with that, but are you ASKING for beliefs or proof? If beliefs have no place in this forum I just want to make sure posting them are not irrelevant.
NOTE: I make no claims here, I am simply expressing what I believe based on the bible. Please take all sentences to be preceeded by the premise "I believe ..."

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #12

Post by nobspeople »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:12 am
nobspeople wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:10 am
Make note, a personal belief can still be challenged or objected to in this format.
I have no problem with that, but are you ASKING for beliefs or proof? If beliefs have no place in this forum I just want to make sure posting them are not irrelevant.
NOTE: I make no claims here, I am simply expressing what I believe based on the bible. Please take all sentences to be preceeded by the premise "I believe ..."

How is this: 'Do you believe jesus physically rose or not' not a personal belief?

JW

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #13

nobspeople wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:27 am
How is this: 'Do you believe jesus physically rose or not' not a personal belief?

JW

I don't know, all I can say is when I post personal beliefs, even in response to being asked directly To do so, I have been told such have no value or place in this subforum. Perhaps becquse it takes the original poster five posts to simply say type the Word "yes".

Anyway to answer the question : No., I dont believe Jesus rose physically.

Please NOTE the following...

I make no claims here, I am simply expressing what I believe based on the bible. Please take all sentences to be preceeded by the premise "I believe ..."

JW

JESUS RESURRECTION

Was Jesus resurrected as a human being?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 44#p909944

Was Jesus resurrected in a spiritual or physical body?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 16#p753616

If Jesus was resurrected as a spirit, how could he show Thomas the sounds on his body?
viewtopic.php?p=1063505#p1063505

Did Jesus post resurrection body carry the wounds inflicted on it during his execution ?
viewtopic.php?p=967900#p967900

Why did Jesus' disciples not recognise him after his resurrection?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 49#p967749

Why could God not simply give Jesus back his old body?
viewtopic.php?p=1035994#p1035994

If Jesus was not raised in the same body, why was the tomb empty?
viewtopic.php?p=1036029#p1036029

Was Mary able to touch the risen Christ?
viewtopic.php?p=908706#p908706
To read more please go to other posts related to...

THE RESURRECTION , JESUS RESURRECTION and ... RESSURECTION CHRONOLOGY
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:53 pm, edited 8 times in total.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Savant

Post #14

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:46 pm ....three utterly contradictory accounts ...
But no one has been able to show true contradiction in them. It is not a contradiction in the Bible, when it is only in someone’s personal interpretation of the story.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #15

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #13]

Sometimes it takes the reader six times to understand the original question
No., I dont believe Jesus rose physically.

Why not?
Where did the physical body go?
If it was shown (or someone else can show biblical proof) that jesus rose physically, would it change your belief system in any way? Why or why not?
As you don't believe there was a physical rising, how do you account for other groups' belief of a physical rising?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #16

nobspeople wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:04 am [Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #13]

Why not?

Because the bible says he was not ...
1 PETER 3:18
For Christ died once for all time for sins, a righteous person for unrighteous ones, in order to lead you to God. He was put to death in the flesh but made alive [resurrected][ in the spirit.

nobspeople wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:04 am Where did the physical body go?

Presumably God disposed of it.
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #17

nobspeople wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:04 am
If it was shown (or someone else can show biblical proof) that jesus rose physically, would it change your belief system in any way?
Yes, I would start believing that jesus rose physically.

nobspeople wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:04 am

As you don't believe there was a physical rising, how do you account for other groups' belief of a physical rising?
In my opinion, they misunderstand scripture because they look at passages in isolation, come up with bogus ad hoc explanations and/ or simply don't give the matter enough thought.

JW

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #18

Post by nobspeople »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:14 am
nobspeople wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:04 am [Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #13]

Sometimes it takes the reader six times to understand the original question

Why not?

Because the bible says he was not ...
1 PETER 3:18
For Christ died once for all time for sins, a righteous person for unrighteous ones, in order to lead you to God. He was put to death in the flesh but made alive [resurrected][ in the spirit.

nobspeople wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:04 am Where did the physical body go?

Presumably God disposed of it.
But it also says:
Then he said to Thomas, "Reach here your finger, and see my hands. ... the marks of the nails in Jesus' hands and the pierced hole on his side (John 19:34).
And:
Jesus tells Mary, “Touch Me not” (John 20:17, KJV)
Was this appearance not real?
If the gospels are actual accounts (or telling of accounts), shouldn't they have more weight behind them than something like Pete (as it was not a gospel)?

Other overlooked questions:
If it was shown (or someone else can show biblical proof) that jesus rose physically, would it change your belief system in any way? Why or why not?
Why do you think god would allow the body to remain to be disposed of later, instead of being risen?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #19

nobspeople wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:23 am Why do you think god would allow the body to remain to be disposed of later, instead of being risen?

I didnt say "later", since the body was not in the tomb when the disciples arrived, it is reasonable to conclude it was disposed of "earlier rather than later", sometime after Friday evening but before Sunday morning.

Jesus body would have been in a terrible condition and there would have been no point in using it just To prove he was alive.

JW

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #20

nobspeople wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:23 am
But it also says:
Then he said to Thomas, "Reach here your finger, and see my hands. ... the marks of the nails in Jesus' hands and the pierced hole on his side (John 19:34).
And:
Jesus tells Mary, “Touch Me not” (John 20:17, KJV)
Was this appearance not real?
If the gospels are actual accounts (or telling of accounts), shouldn't they have more weight behind them than something like Pete (as it was not a gospel)?

There is no need to put Peter against the gospels, if one gives the matter sufficient thought and ask the right questions.