Post #1

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Late edit to clean quotes...

From Post 182 here:
EarthSciemceGuy wrote: ...
God is not made of matter...
For debate:

What's God made of?
Last edited by JoeyKnothead on Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

mgb
Guru

Re: What's God made of?

Post #151

Post by mgb »

theophile wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:57 am Okay... So how do we go from claims about burden of proof to actual proof of probable existence?
There's no proof that God does/does not exist so the only burden is to provide coherent, reasonable arguments.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #152

Post by Goat »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:50 pm
Goat wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 pm
You made the statement that 'God is made from spirit'....
No I did not, I said...
JehovahsWitness wrote: The bible* indicates God has a spirit body.

JW

* I am ONLY mentioning the bible to show what Christianity says in line with subforum guidelines, not to prove that a statement or story therein is true. ​I am not presenting the bible as authorative or proof of truth and have no intention to add an argument to that end in this subforum See LINKS for details: viewtopic.php?p=213491#p213491
Do you think the bible is correct? Can you describe what 'A spriit body is" . What is spirit made from?
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #153

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Goat wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:40 pm

Do you think the bible is correct? Can you describe what 'A spriit body is" . What is spirit made from?
Firstly may I point out that I make no claims here, I am simply expressing what I believe based on the bible. Please take all sentences to be preceeded by the premise "I believe ..."

• Do you think the bible is correct? Yes, it is my faith based belief that the bible is correct.
  • Can you describe what 'A spriit body is" ? Scripturally, all the information we have is that a spirit body is a non-physical body of the type God has which is invisible to humans.
  • What is spirit made from? I have no idea.

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

For further reading please go to other posts related to...

PROOF , EVIDENCE and ... FAITH
NOTE All posts I write represent my personal faith based beliefs as one of Jehovah's Witnesses
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #154

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Snippings've been snipped...
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:56 pm Do you think the bible is correct? Yes, it is my faith based belief that the bible is correct.
It's my faith based belief it ain't.

Offsetting claims based purely on belief.

How might we get around this impasse?
What is spirit made from? I have no idea.
Sorry OP, no cookies for you.
-Punkinhead Martin

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #155

Post by Goat »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:56 pm
Goat wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:40 pm

Firstly may I point out that I make no claims here, I am simply expressing what I believe based on the bible. Please take all sentences to be preceeded by the premise "I believe ..."

• Do you think the bible is correct? Yes, it is my faith based belief that the bible is correct.
  • Can you describe what 'A spriit body is" ? Scripturally, all the information we have is that a spirit body is a non-physical body of the type God has which is invisible to humans.
  • What is spirit made from? I have no idea.

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

For further reading please go to other posts related to...

PROOF , EVIDENCE and ... FAITH
NOTE All posts I write represent my personal faith based beliefs as one of Jehovah's Witnesses

So, if god is made from spirit, and you have no idea what spirit is, how do you know spirit exists at all, or how do you know that God exists at all? is there something that you can show me, are is it all 'because I feel it' (i.e. an emotional response)', or 'someone told me' (I.e. someone told me to read the bible'
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #156

Goat wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:54 pm
So, if god is made from spirit, and you have no idea what spirit is, how do you know spirit exists at all, or how do you know that God exists at all?
I dont know I believe; I believe I know based on the bible and my personal experiences.
I make no claims here, I am simply expressing what I believe based on the bible. Please take all sentences to be preceeded by the premise "I believe ..."

... is there something that you can show me ... [?]

Other than the universe and scripture? No. If the world around you and everything in it isnt enough, there is nothing more I can do, no.

ROMANS 1 :19, 20 NWT

... what may be known about God is clearly evident among them, for God made it clear to them. For his invisible qualities are clearly seen from the world’s creation onward, because they are perceived by the things made, even his eternal power and Godship, so that they are inexcusable
To learn more please go to other posts related to...

EVOLUTION, THE BIBLE & SCIENCE and ...THE 7 CREATIVE DAYS OF GENESIS

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #157

Post by Goat »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:44 pm
So, if god is made from spirit, and you have no idea what spirit is, how do you know spirit exists at all, or how do you know that God exists at all?
I dont know I believe; I believe I know based on the bible and my personal experiences.
I make no claims here, I am simply expressing what I believe based on the bible. Please take all sentences to be preceeded by the premise "I believe ..."

... is there something that you can show me ... [?]

Other than the universe and scripture? No. If the world around you and everything in it isnt enough, there is nothing more I can do, no.

ROMANS 1 :19, 20 NWT

... what may be known about God is clearly evident among them, for God made it clear to them. For his invisible qualities are clearly seen from the world’s creation onward, because they are perceived by the things made, even his eternal power and Godship, so that they are inexcusable
To learn more please go to other posts related to...

EVOLUTION, THE BIBLE & SCIENCE and ...THE 7 CREATIVE DAYS OF GENESIS
If it's based on the bible, and you can't show that the claims in the bible are true, why promote it? I mean, it IS Jehovah Witnesses dogma to witness, yet if you can't show that your claims are true, why promote it? You based it on the claims of the bible, yet you show you do not know what is meant by those claims.

You use a claim for God, that he is made of spirit, then you can not even properly define what spirit is, nor show that spirit exists. I am evidence driven, and that kind of pattern is not convincing to me.

Steven Novella

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #158

Goat wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:59 am
If it's based on the bible, and you can't show that the claims in the bible are true, why promote it?
Because it would be selfish of me not to promoted the TRUTH.

NOTE I make no claims here, I am simply expressing what I believe based on the bible. Please take all sentences to be preceeded by the premise "I believe ..."

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #159

Goat wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:59 amI am evidence driven, and that kind of pattern is not convincing to me.
I dont recall asking you anything about yourself nor do I have any recollection of saying I was trying to convinced you of anything.

Still thanks for sharing.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #160

Post by JoeyKnothead »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:11 am
Goat wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:59 am
If it's based on the bible, and you can't show that the claims in the bible are true, why promote it?
Because it would be selfish of me not to promoted the TRUTH.
Lomfpoc

You claim to promote TRUTH(tm), yet you're utterly incapable of showing you speak it in this matter.

Ain't that kinda what some call "Lying for Jesus"?
-Punkinhead Martin