Too influential?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Too influential?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

There's no doubt christianty has influenced much of the world through its history - some would say so much so.

For discussion:
Has christianity been TOO influential in history, just enough, or too much? Why
Do you foresee christianity being being just as influential going forward, not as much, or just as much as it is today? Why?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Miles
Savant

Re: Too influential?

Post #2

Post by Miles »

nobspeople wrote:For discussion:
As much as Christianity has helped individuals with specific problems, overall I believe it has been a detriment to society and the function of nations as a whole. I believe all societies would be better off without religious dogma and its proponents having a roll in calling the shots. Christianity has continually fostered bigotry and intolerance to the detriment of everyone. And as has been pointed out elsewhere,* religion has promoted tribalism, You :no: vs Me =D>. Makes a virtue out of faith, a wholly bankrupt concept. Teaches helplessness: god will solve your problems, instead of taking a pro-active position. Is, itself, a power seeking organization we can do without. And is based on primitive concepts, archaic rites, and tall tales, rather than reasoned conduct, and actual knowledge.
Do you foresee christianity being being just as influential going forward, not as much, or just as much as it is today? Why?
As of late it's been taking a real nosedive.

* source

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #3

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Well....that's arguable. Fact is that without Christianity, we might not have had all those Holy wars between Protestants and Catholics, but without that and the winged Huzarya, we'd all be praying five times a day.

In India too. While I can sympathize with their requisite curriculum of anti colonial sentiment in which one of the rulers pushing Islam over the sub -continent is lauded as a great independence hero martyred by the British Raj, without Britain taking over India and giving Hindus a fair shake, there wouldn't be Hinduism today except perhaps in Nepal and Bali.

The idea of an American people still with a festival of plucking candy hearts from store- bought -plastic persons as apart of suitably ameliorated Aztec religion being rather attractive, I have to agree with Leslie Charteris when he wrote that the old British Empire was by an large one of the best things that happened to these people, it taught them to stop eating their relatives, built railways for them, gave them a sense of national identity and found the oil that their later rulers could nationalise and get rich on.

I could wish that there's been less Christian missionaries along with it, as I still do, but it was what it was and progress while (as Douglas Adams put it) it might be overrated, I've never seen the muttering anti -technology Luddites refuse to use it when it suits them.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by Purple Knight »

Miles wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:10 pmAs much as Christianity has helped individuals with specific problems, overall I believe it has been a detriment to society and the function of nations as a whole. I believe all societies would be better off without religious dogma and its proponents having a roll in calling the shots. Christianity has continually fostered bigotry and intolerance to the detriment of everyone. And as has been pointed out elsewhere,* religion has promoted tribalism, You :no: vs Me =D>. Makes a virtue out of faith, a wholly bankrupt concept. Teaches helplessness: god will solve your problems, instead of taking a pro-active position. Is, itself, a power seeking organization we can do without. And is based on primitive concepts, archaic rites, and tall tales, rather than reasoned conduct, and actual knowledge.
This is why I don't think it's ideal for the least religious countries like Sweden and the UK to be importing highly religious refugees, and why it could be easy for another religion to become too influential, and set these countries back.

What the native population sees, regardless of whether it is there, is the same sort of bigotry and tribalism you mention, because the Western way to get over that bigotry and tribalism (at least, the attempt to do so) has largely been facilitated by dumping the religious baby and the whole nativity scene out with the holy water.

That's why the baseless accusations of no-go zones in London are so popular, despite being baseless. The new, highly-religious people centre around one another and around their places of worship, and the bigots can't help seeing a cluster of scary new people and the tribalism and bigotry they were trying to leave behind. It doesn't take long before the native population starts avoiding these places and the ridiculous rumours start up that they'll be attacked in these areas for not wearing burkas.

In short, there are some things that are bound to cause conflict, and in a way, the native population can be thought of as victims, too. No, perhaps that's too nasty a statement to make. Not victims, but more like a community of alcoholics who are suddenly surrounded by frat boys, who aren't doing anything destructive, but nonetheless whose innocent but very heavy drinking is causing some pain for the alcoholics trying to stay sober.

The frat boys are 100% innocent in the matter and as long as they aren't destructive, they have every right to drink until they can't move, as they very much like to do, and where they are shouldn't restrict their rights. It's just that, perhaps, a community of recovering alcoholics isn't the best place for them.

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #5

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

Miles wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:10 pm .
As much as Christianity has helped individuals with specific problems, overall I believe it has been a detriment to society and the function of nations as a whole. I believe all societies would be better off without religious dogma and its proponents having a roll in calling the shots. Christianity has continually fostered bigotry and intolerance to the detriment of everyone. And as has been pointed out elsewhere,* religion has promoted tribalism, You :no: vs Me =D>. Makes a virtue out of faith, a wholly bankrupt concept. Teaches helplessness: god will solve your problems, instead of taking a pro-active position. Is, itself, a power seeking organization we can do without. And is based on primitive concepts, archaic rites, and tall tales, rather than reasoned conduct, and actual knowledge.

* source

Well, Christianity is but one of many religions. Your problem-solving societies, the godless Communist, only survive by expropriating the intellectual properties of religious based societies, who apparently are good at solving problems when organized under a free society. Of course, that breaks down when you get Marxist Progressive in charge. Good examples of your godless Marxist societies are North Korea, China, the previous Soviet Union, Venezuala and Cuba. In a wealthy free society, feel free to buy a plane ticket, go there, and see how well things turn out.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by Purple Knight »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:50 pmGood examples of your godless Marxist societies are North Korea, China, the previous Soviet Union, Venezuala and Cuba.
You're onto something about differences in the way these societies solve problems.

Pandas are notorious for not wanting to mate. The way Westerners try to solve this is by caring more about the pandas. Give them the perfect temperature, the perfect food, the perfect enclosure. Maybe then, they will volunteer to mate.

China said, no way to that, and built a panda factory. They artificially inseminate the buggers and pump out hundreds of cubs per year.

Whether you think their solution "works better" depends entirely upon your values.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #7

Post by TRANSPONDER »

So far as I can recall, sloppy Liberals care about animal welfare. Christianity reckons that God made Man master of Animals so we can do what we like to them.

Miles
Savant

Post #8

Post by Miles »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:50 pm

* source

Well, Christianity is but one of many religions. Your problem-solving societies, the godless Communist, only survive by expropriating the intellectual properties of religious based societies, who apparently are good at solving problems when organized under a free society. Of course, that breaks down when you get Marxist Progressive in charge. Good examples of your godless Marxist societies are North Korea, China, the previous Soviet Union, Venezuala and Cuba. In a wealthy free society, feel free to buy a plane ticket, go there, and see how well things turn out.
Am I reading you correctly, that you're implying a godless society can't exist without adopting communist ideology?

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #9

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

Miles wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:25 pm

* source

Am I reading you correctly, that you're implying a godless society can't exist without adopting communist ideology?

A Marxist communist community would be "godless" by definition. Our present U.S. administration is pushing the Marxist/communist community agenda, and while professing to be God fearing, and has a multiple god/pagan historical religion, which is the following false gods, such as Marx, and the false prophet Paul, the beasts of Revelation 17, and the "dragon"/devil, in the form of demon spirits (Revelation 16:13), and nailing the "Word of God" to a cross, resulting in lawlessness in the aspect of the laws of God, but the pushing of the laws of men, in the manner of humanism. I am saying that godless, Marxist governments, ultimately wind up broken. Fortunately, the present U.S. government administration is failing in all aspects of their governess and will apparently be voted out of office quickly.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by nobspeople »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:17 am
Miles wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:25 pm

* source

A Marxist communist community would be "godless" by definition. Our present U.S. administration is pushing the Marxist/communist community agenda, and while professing to be God fearing, and has a multiple god/pagan historical religion, which is the following false gods, such as Marx, and the false prophet Paul, the beasts of Revelation 17, and the "dragon"/devil, in the form of demon spirits (Revelation 16:13), and nailing the "Word of God" to a cross, resulting in lawlessness in the aspect of the laws of God, but the pushing of the laws of men, in the manner of humanism. I am saying that godless, Marxist governments, ultimately wind up broken. Fortunately, the present U.S. government administration is failing in all aspects of their governess and will apparently be voted out of office quickly.
Sooner the USA is 'god-free' the better IMO. But it will never happen, fully. The USA's education system isn't strong enough and there are those riddled with conspiracy theories that, baring an human extinction, there will, unfortunately, always be some sort of 'god' spreading their falsities and lies to get money and influence.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!