Jehovah's Witnesses And Blood

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

Jehovah's Witnesses And Blood

Post #1

Post by Miles »

After reading another thread mentioning Jehovah's Witnesses I became interested in their beliefs about blood. They reject blood transfusions and don't eat meat with more than a trace of blood in it. Searching around a bit I came across the following from a pro-JW web site.

"Do Jehovah's Witnesses Eat Red Meat Since it May Contain a Trace of Blood?

Though Christians are to abstain from blood (Acts 15:29), the Bible shows that the eating of flesh by Christians is proper, for God Himself told us that we could eat meat from "every animal". "Every moving animal that is alive may serve as food for YOU." (Gen. 9:3)

But God commanded that before eating the flesh of an animal, his people were to pour out its blood on the ground and cover it with dust, being careful not to eat the blood, on pain of death. (Deut. 12:23-25; Lev. 7:27) This is our way for us to show respect for God's view of life.

So when someone carefully takes the strict precautions that God outlined by making sure that an animal is properly bled before consumption, they wouldn't be breaking God's command of eating blood. Since God Himself has issued these directions, obviously, if properly done, God does not have a problem with eating the meat from "every animal".

People can rest assured that nearly all blood is removed from meat during slaughter, which is why you don’t see blood in raw “white meat”; only an extremely small amount of blood remains within the muscle tissue when you get it from the store. (Also see: The Red Juice in Raw Meat is Not Blood (todayifoundit.com)"
source
(My emphasis)

However, from a comprehensive explanation of the slaughtering of animals: (I urge anyone who's interested to access the link below)

"Blood loss as a percentage of body weight differs between species: cows, 4.2 to 5.7%; calves, 4.4 to 6.7%; sheep, 4.4 to 7.6%; and pigs, 1.5 to 5.8%. Blood content as a percentage of live weight may decrease in heavier animals since the growth of blood volume does not keep pace with growth of live weight. Approximately 60% of blood is lost at sticking *, 20-25% remains in the viscera, while a maximum of 10% may remain in carcass muscles."
source

So my question is, if the muscle (meat) can contain up to 10% of an animal's blood wouldn't this make it unacceptable to Jehovah's Witnesses?

*"Cattle and pigs are usually exsanguinated [drained of blood] by a puncture wound which opens the major blood vessels at the base of the neck, not far from the heart. The trade name for this process is sticking"
Source: ibid.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses And Blood

Post #91

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Purple Knight wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:47 pm [Replying to Purple Knight in post #89]

Very very odd that Joey should post this just a bit after I posted the above. My answer to the below is, there wouldn't be that vampire. In a universe where vampire lore is reality, and is consistent, they don't start being formed until there are already Christians.
JoeyKnothead wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:36 pm Image
The timing is purely coincidental. I just thought it was funny.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses And Blood

Post #92

Post by Purple Knight »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:27 pmThe timing is purely coincidental. I just thought it was funny.
One thing I've noticed about this forum is that different threads often come together like this, the same concept come to in one as in another, the debating users not even knowing about it. It's very very weird.

Why did what JW said make me make the connection to this weird bit of vampire lore being a silly concept unless you understand that the Christian canon is part of any consistent vampire canon? And why did you happen to come across that very thing within a day? Very very weird.

I haven't seen this phenomenon happen anywhere else, even on forums with similar populations, even on other forums with similar populations and what I call "category bloat" that causes users to often miss topics they might be interested in.
Purple Knight wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:54 pm
Paul of Tarsus wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:02 pmAnyway, it's claims like yours that make a mockery of God. Atheists and other skeptics have fodder to ridicule theism as childish and delusional if not dangerous. They realize that no real God is going to pick out special people to "listen" to him, or if he did, then he'd make sure his knowledge and power is evident. God doesn't want to make people talk and act as if they're either lying or off their rockers.
Increasingly a lot of threads on this forum are related. This is heavily related to my thread on whether morality can be a guessing game.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=38210

If you believe God is fair, no, no it can't. Morality can't be a guessing game. A fair god does not run lotteries with salvation as the prize.

Therefore, in a world of liars, god would also not send people to give his words out who would simply have to be trusted. For then, how would I pick that fellow over a liar?