Too influential?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Too influential?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

There's no doubt christianty has influenced much of the world through its history - some would say so much so.

For discussion:
Has christianity been TOO influential in history, just enough, or too much? Why
Do you foresee christianity being being just as influential going forward, not as much, or just as much as it is today? Why?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

2ndpillar2
Sage

Re: Too influential?

Post #11

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:45 am
2ndpillar2 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:17 am
Miles wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:25 pm
2ndpillar2 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:50 pm
Miles wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:10 pm .
nobspeople wrote:For discussion:
As much as Christianity has helped individuals with specific problems, overall I believe it has been a detriment to society and the function of nations as a whole. I believe all societies would be better off without religious dogma and its proponents having a roll in calling the shots. Christianity has continually fostered bigotry and intolerance to the detriment of everyone. And as has been pointed out elsewhere,* religion has promoted tribalism, You :no: vs Me =D>. Makes a virtue out of faith, a wholly bankrupt concept. Teaches helplessness: god will solve your problems, instead of taking a pro-active position. Is, itself, a power seeking organization we can do without. And is based on primitive concepts, archaic rites, and tall tales, rather than reasoned conduct, and actual knowledge.
Do you foresee christianity being being just as influential going forward, not as much, or just as much as it is today? Why?
As of late it's been taking a real nosedive.

* source

Well, Christianity is but one of many religions. Your problem-solving societies, the godless Communist, only survive by expropriating the intellectual properties of religious based societies, who apparently are good at solving problems when organized under a free society. Of course, that breaks down when you get Marxist Progressive in charge. Good examples of your godless Marxist societies are North Korea, China, the previous Soviet Union, Venezuala and Cuba. In a wealthy free society, feel free to buy a plane ticket, go there, and see how well things turn out.
Am I reading you correctly, that you're implying a godless society can't exist without adopting communist ideology?

A Marxist communist community would be "godless" by definition. Our present U.S. administration is pushing the Marxist/communist community agenda, and while professing to be God fearing, and has a multiple god/pagan historical religion, which is the following false gods, such as Marx, and the false prophet Paul, the beasts of Revelation 17, and the "dragon"/devil, in the form of demon spirits (Revelation 16:13), and nailing the "Word of God" to a cross, resulting in lawlessness in the aspect of the laws of God, but the pushing of the laws of men, in the manner of humanism. I am saying that godless, Marxist governments, ultimately wind up broken. Fortunately, the present U.S. government administration is failing in all aspects of their governess and will apparently be voted out of office quickly.
Sooner the USA is 'god-free' the better IMO. But it will never happen, fully. The USA's education system isn't strong enough and there are those riddled with conspiracy theories that, baring an human extinction, there will, unfortunately, always be some sort of 'god' spreading their falsities and lies to get money and influence.
The "father of lies" would be the serpent/devil/Satan, in which the ungodly look as their own god, in the form of humanism and Christianity, in which each man defines their own good and evil from their own hardened hearts. The "extinction", the ending of the reign of the devil/Satan, comes with the "day of the LORD", which happens after Judah/Jews and Jerusalem are revived (Joel 3:1-2), and the nations/Gentiles come against Jerusalem (Zechariah 14), and are all judged, whereas they are sold into slavery (Joe 3:8), and the devil is locked into the abys. (Revelation 20:1-2)

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #12

Post by nobspeople »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:01 pm
As much as Christianity has helped individuals with specific problems, overall I believe it has been a detriment to society and the function of nations as a whole. I believe all societies would be better off without religious dogma and its proponents having a roll in calling the shots. Christianity has continually fostered bigotry and intolerance to the detriment of everyone. And as has been pointed out elsewhere,* religion has promoted tribalism, You :no: vs Me =D>. Makes a virtue out of faith, a wholly bankrupt concept. Teaches helplessness: god will solve your problems, instead of taking a pro-active position. Is, itself, a power seeking organization we can do without. And is based on primitive concepts, archaic rites, and tall tales, rather than reasoned conduct, and actual knowledge.

* source

Well, Christianity is but one of many religions. Your problem-solving societies, the godless Communist, only survive by expropriating the intellectual properties of religious based societies, who apparently are good at solving problems when organized under a free society. Of course, that breaks down when you get Marxist Progressive in charge. Good examples of your godless Marxist societies are North Korea, China, the previous Soviet Union, Venezuala and Cuba. In a wealthy free society, feel free to buy a plane ticket, go there, and see how well things turn out.
Am I reading you correctly, that you're implying a godless society can't exist without adopting communist ideology?

A Marxist communist community would be "godless" by definition. Our present U.S. administration is pushing the Marxist/communist community agenda, and while professing to be God fearing, and has a multiple god/pagan historical religion, which is the following false gods, such as Marx, and the false prophet Paul, the beasts of Revelation 17, and the "dragon"/devil, in the form of demon spirits (Revelation 16:13), and nailing the "Word of God" to a cross, resulting in lawlessness in the aspect of the laws of God, but the pushing of the laws of men, in the manner of humanism. I am saying that godless, Marxist governments, ultimately wind up broken. Fortunately, the present U.S. government administration is failing in all aspects of their governess and will apparently be voted out of office quickly.
Sooner the USA is 'god-free' the better IMO. But it will never happen, fully. The USA's education system isn't strong enough and there are those riddled with conspiracy theories that, baring an human extinction, there will, unfortunately, always be some sort of 'god' spreading their falsities and lies to get money and influence.
The "father of lies" would be the serpent/devil/Satan, in which the ungodly look as their own god, in the form of humanism and Christianity, in which each man defines their own good and evil from their own hardened hearts. The "extinction", the ending of the reign of the devil/Satan, comes with the "day of the LORD", which happens after Judah/Jews and Jerusalem are revived (Joel 3:1-2), and the nations/Gentiles come against Jerusalem (Zechariah 14), and are all judged, whereas they are sold into slavery (Joe 3:8), and the devil is locked into the abys. (Revelation 20:1-2)
So the bible says. Maybe god is the real liar? God is the real 'father of lies', especially since god created everything - before god there was nothing other than god. Humanity wouldn't know if god was lying - some think it's doing just that!

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #13

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:08 pm

* source

So the bible says. Maybe god is the real liar? God is the real 'father of lies', especially since god created everything - before god there was nothing other than god. Humanity wouldn't know if god was lying - some think it's doing just that!
Those that follow the false prophets of Marx, the false prophet Paul, Mohammad, etc. are the ones being cursed in the form of their fear of death, and bad consequences within their lives. These people, like Israel, get 4 shots, mandate masks and vaccine, plus require vaccine passports, and yet, as with Israel, Israel has a 9,000 % increase in covid cases, still remain follow the rule of insanity, and repeat doing the same thing with the same response. The blind follows the blind, and they all fall into the pit, whether with respect to "global warming", oh wait, "climate change", it is snowy and 12* F outside in the middle of the day. If someone follows the leading lemming, they generally wind up going over the cliff, whether they call themselves atheist, or theist. As atheism is a religion in itself, I would think agnostic would be a less hypocritical pronouncement.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #14

Post by nobspeople »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:51 pm
nobspeople wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:08 pm

* source

Those that follow the false prophets of Marx, the false prophet Paul, Mohammad, etc. are the ones being cursed in the form of their fear of death, and bad consequences within their lives. These people, like Israel, get 4 shots, mandate masks and vaccine, plus require vaccine passports, and yet, as with Israel, Israel has a 9,000 % increase in covid cases, still remain follow the rule of insanity, and repeat doing the same thing with the same response. The blind follows the blind, and they all fall into the pit, whether with respect to "global warming", oh wait, "climate change", it is snowy and 12* F outside in the middle of the day. If someone follows the leading lemming, they generally wind up going over the cliff, whether they call themselves atheist, or theist. As atheism is a religion in itself, I would think agnostic would be a less hypocritical pronouncement.
Way to bring up topics you want to discuss that I didn't mention. Bravo :applaud: (sarcasm, of course - it's not unexpected)
False prophet means nothing. It's simply a way to say 'you're believing in something that I don't accept!'.
So what?
What you accuse others of doing fits perfectly with the christian agenda as well.
Again, so what?

Miles
Savant

Post #15

Post by Miles »

* source

A Marxist communist community would be "godless" by definition. Our present U.S. administration is pushing the Marxist/communist community agenda
So Biden and Harris, and all the others in the current administration are pushing the Marxist/communist community agenda, are they. Well, let's get out our torches and pitchforks and set upon the capitol again. Maybe this time we'll be successful. Long reign the Trumpster, our self-appointed deity on high.

............... Image

and while professing to be God fearing, and has a multiple god/pagan historical religion, which is the following false gods, such as Marx, and the false prophet Paul, the beasts of Revelation 17, and the "dragon"/devil, in the form of demon spirits (Revelation 16:13), and nailing the "Word of God" to a cross, resulting in lawlessness in the aspect of the laws of God, but the pushing of the laws of men, in the manner of humanism.
BOINGGG G .G! Care to rephrase that in English?

I am saying that godless, Marxist governments, ultimately wind up broken. Fortunately, the present U.S. government administration is failing in all aspects of their governess.
"Governess"? "GOVERNESS"? Well, ok . . . .

and will apparently be voted out of office quickly.
Cause what "merica needs is an emperor.

................................. Image

As soon as he takes care of some unfinished business of course

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #16

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

Miles wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:34 pm

* source

A Marxist communist community would be "godless" by definition. Our present U.S. administration is pushing the Marxist/communist community agenda
So Biden and Harris, and all the others in the current administration are pushing the Marxist/communist community agenda, are they. Well, let's get out our torches and pitchforks and set upon the capitol again. Maybe this time we'll be successful. Long reign the Trumpster, our self-appointed deity on high.

............... Image

and while professing to be God fearing, and has a multiple god/pagan historical religion, which is the following false gods, such as Marx, and the false prophet Paul, the beasts of Revelation 17, and the "dragon"/devil, in the form of demon spirits (Revelation 16:13), and nailing the "Word of God" to a cross, resulting in lawlessness in the aspect of the laws of God, but the pushing of the laws of men, in the manner of humanism.
BOINGGG G .G! Care to rephrase that in English?

I am saying that godless, Marxist governments, ultimately wind up broken. Fortunately, the present U.S. government administration is failing in all aspects of their governess.
"Governess"? "GOVERNESS"? Well, ok . . . .

and will apparently be voted out of office quickly.
Cause what "merica needs is an emperor.

................................. Image

As soon as he takes care of some unfinished business of course

I think time will tell whether the people support the Marxist ideal, or they turn on the present administration, and vote those they can out of office. Biden without the house or Senate will have to look for someone to take out behind the bleachers to beat up. Of course, Biden is setting up the narrative so that he, like Hillary, can say the 2022 election was stolen, because people will have to provide ID to vote. But you should not fret. I am sure the moon will come out, and you can howl at the moon all you want when the time comes.

historia
Prodigy

Post #17

Post by historia »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:54 pm
Has christianity been TOO influential in history, just enough, or too much?
One of the challenges those of us living in the Western world face is just recognizing how influential Christianity has been in shaping our civilization. It's like fish not realizing how important water is because they simply take it for granted.

For an entertaining treatment of that topic, consider Dominion: How the Christian Revolution Remade the World (2019), by the popular historian Tom Holland (himself an atheist).

The dusk jacket summarizes his essential thesis neatly:
Holland wrote:
Today, the West is utterly saturated by Christian assumptions. Close-up, the division between a skeptic and a believer may seem unbridgeable. Widen the focus, though, and Christianity's enduring impact can be seen in the emergence of much that has been cast as its nemesis: science, secularism, and even atheism. Christianity is the principle reason why, today, we think it nobler to suffer than to inflict suffering; why we assume every human life to be of equal value.
Some other provocative points from pg. 496 & 538, respectively:
Holland wrote:
That every human being possessed an equal dignity was not remotely self-evident a truth. A Roman would have laughed at it.

To campaign against discrimination on the grounds of gender or sexuality, however, was to depend on large numbers of people sharing in a common assumption: that everyone possessed an inherent worth.

The origins of this principle -- as Neitzsche had so contemptuously pointed out -- lay not in the French Revolution, nor in the Declaration of Independence, nor in the Enlightenment, but in the Bible.
Holland wrote:
The primary dogma of humanism -- "that morality is an intrinsic part of human nature based on understanding and a concern for others" -- found no more corroboration in science than did the dogma of the Nazis that anyone not fit for life should be exterminated. The wellspring of humanist values lay not in reason, not in evidence-based thinking, but in history.
Indeed, one of the more vivid ways to see how clearly Christianity has influenced Western society is to look at the writings of Neitzsche and especially his later Nazi admirers, like Himmler, as they explicitly wanted to reject Christian morality, with its concern for the weak and oppressed, and replace it with an older, pre-Christian ethic that favored the powerful -- killing millions of people as a direct result.

historia
Prodigy

Post #18

Post by historia »

Miles wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:10 pm

* source
The question nobspeople posed asked about influence, so I'm not sure if demographic data on religious affiliation necessarily answers that question.

But, regardless, you're cherry picking statistics here. Worldwide, those who identify as Christian are increasing as a percent of the total population, while those who identify as non-religious are on the decline, and have been steadily since the year 1970.

Miles
Savant

Post #19

Post by Miles »

historia wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:51 pm
Miles wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:10 pm

* source
The question nobspeople posed asked about influence, so I'm not sure if demographic data on religious affiliation necessarily answers that question.

But, regardless, you're cherry picking statistics here. Worldwide, those who identify as Christian are increasing as a percent of the total population, while those who identify as non-religious are on the decline, and have been steadily since the year 1970.
Just provide a link or two that substantiates your claim and we'll be good.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #20

Post by nobspeople »

* source

Sooner the USA is 'god-free' the better IMO. Maybe then, we can get actual responses to questions and issues rather that regurgitated tripe from a book that's considered devine but was, in reality, written by men.