Post #1

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Late edit to clean quotes...

From Post 182 here:
EarthSciemceGuy wrote: ...
God is not made of matter...
For debate:

What's God made of?
Last edited by JoeyKnothead on Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: What's God made of?

Post #191

Post by nobspeople »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:59 am
nobspeople wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:37 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:24 pm
nobspeople wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:08 pm
When said (paraphrased) 'your religious beliefs can't be shown to be true', you said "I believe they can otherwise I would not hold to them."
I simply asked you to provide the proof of which you speak, as you said it's possible to do so.
What proof you wish to provide is, of course, up to you.
I have hundreds of religious beliefs, which ones would you like proof (proof as in argumentation) for, and who or what provides the standards by which we can establish whether those beliefs are true or not. For me, religious truth are established by measiring it against the bible. If you agree and would like biblical argumentation (proof) about something I believe, feel free to ask.

I will certainly give your request the consideration it deserves.

JW

RELATED POSTS

Is it unscriptural to speak of "having" the truth (scroll down)?
viewtopic.php?p=1044948#p1044948

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

TRUTH, ORGANISATIONAL INFALLIBILITY and ...THE BIBLE
Ugh
Last chance here with me
Pick one and prove it to be true

I believe Genesis is the first book currently listed the Torah and accept that book as part of the bible canon.

Evidence
Source: https://www.britannica.com/topic/biblic ... d-versions

There are millions of bibles available and Genesis is sytematically listed as the first of the books in the Torah.

JW
Thanks.
Lets see if this meets Joey's criteria!
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #192

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:03 am
JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:55 am
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:14 am
JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:25 pm Late edit to clean quotes...

From Post 182 here:
For debate:

What's God made of?
You assume we can apply reductionism to everything, like I told you in other threads, assumptions are never far away even for the atheist!
The OP seeks to confirm from what's God made.

There's no requirement for reductionism, if that ain't the way to go.

As I'm telling you in this thread, that's an assumption on your part.
You are quite incorrect.

The question "what is X made of" is logically equivalent to "what constituent parts comprise X" and that is most certainly a question which presupposes a reductionist answer.

Reductionism:

Ontological reductionism: a belief that the whole of reality consists of a minimal number of parts.
Methodological reductionism: the scientific attempt to provide an explanation in terms of ever-smaller entities.
Theory reductionism: the suggestion that a newer theory does not replace or absorb an older one, but reduces it to more basic terms. Theory reduction itself is divisible into three parts: translation, derivation, and explanation.[4]
So God's made of nothing.

Just like something that doesn't exist.
-Punkinhead Martin

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #193

Post by JoeyKnothead »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:59 am I believe Genesis is the first book currently listed the Torah and accept that book as part of the bible canon.

Evidence
Source: https://www.britannica.com/topic/biblic ... d-versions

There are millions of bibles available and Genesis is sytematically listed as the first of the books in the Torah.
In the lastest news from our resident promoter of TRUTH(tm), their belief the first bit if the bible is canon should not be questioned.

But it's perfectly fair to question if belief in it puts any TRUTH(tm) to it.

This is getting funnier and funnier with each new attempt at what TRUTH(tm) can be put to the OP.
-Punkinhead Martin

Sherlock Holmes

Post #194

Post by Sherlock Holmes »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:00 pm
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:03 am
JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:55 am
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:14 am
JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:25 pm Late edit to clean quotes...

From Post 182 here:
For debate:

What's God made of?
You assume we can apply reductionism to everything, like I told you in other threads, assumptions are never far away even for the atheist!
The OP seeks to confirm from what's God made.

There's no requirement for reductionism, if that ain't the way to go.

As I'm telling you in this thread, that's an assumption on your part.
You are quite incorrect.

The question "what is X made of" is logically equivalent to "what constituent parts comprise X" and that is most certainly a question which presupposes a reductionist answer.

Reductionism:

Ontological reductionism: a belief that the whole of reality consists of a minimal number of parts.
Methodological reductionism: the scientific attempt to provide an explanation in terms of ever-smaller entities.
Theory reductionism: the suggestion that a newer theory does not replace or absorb an older one, but reduces it to more basic terms. Theory reduction itself is divisible into three parts: translation, derivation, and explanation.[4]
So God's made of nothing.

Just like something that doesn't exist.
I knew it would be a waste of time replying sensibly to you.

Later.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #195

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:26 pm I knew it would be a waste of time replying sensibly to you.
I suggest replying sensibly.

Folks claim there's a god. Stuff that exists is shown to be made of something. This OP seeks to determine from what is God made

Of course we can say such as, God's made of the hopes and wishes, loves and hatreds of his proponents. At least here there's some supporting data.
-Punkinhead Martin

Sherlock Holmes

Post #196

JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:35 pm
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:26 pm I knew it would be a waste of time replying sensibly to you.
You mean say things that you agree with? don't say anything that you disagree with?
JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:35 pm Folks claim there's a god.
They're correct.
JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:35 pm Stuff that exists is shown to be made of something.
What is empty space made from? it too exists, what is stuff? what is something?
JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:35 pm This OP seeks to determine from what is God made.
I told you, God is made from God, composed from God, why won't you listen to common sense?
JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:35 pm Of course we can say such as, God's made of the hopes and wishes, loves and hatreds of his proponents. At least here there's some supporting data.
What is anything made of? what's an electron made of? what's a higgs boson made of? what's a gluon made of? what's a gravitational field made of? what is love made of? what is space made of? what is consciousness made of?.............

You can't answer any of these questions yet you demand an answer to yours.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #197

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Edits to correct speling...
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:47 pm
You mean say things that you agree with? don't say anything that you disagree with?
I'm no mod, say what ya want. Site rules indicate it should be on topic of the OP, but again, I'm no mod.
They're correct.
What evidence do you find most confirmatiry for this conclusion?
JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:35 pm Stuff that exists is shown to be made of something.
What is empty space made from? it too exists.
So God's empty space?
JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:35 pm This OP seeks to determine from what is God made.
I told you, God is made from God, composed from God, why won't you listen to common sense?
And tautologies are made from tautologies.

What confirmatory evidence can you provide for your claim?
JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:35 pm Of course we can say such as, God's made of the hopes and wishes, loves and hatreds of his proponents. At least here there's some supporting data.
What is anything made of?
Depends on what anything, and to what level of detail we can provide.

I like to build stuff. Metal, wood, nails or screws, glue, and cussing're the most common materials, but not necessarily in that order.

Snip request for composition of stuff I ain't claimed to exist.
-Punkinhead Martin

Sherlock Holmes

Post #198

JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:07 pm Edits to correct speling...
I'm no mod, say what ya want. Site rules indicate it should be on topic of the OP, but again, I'm no mod.
They're correct.
What evidence do you find most confirmatiry for this conclusion?
The presence of the universe, my own existence within that universe.
JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:07 pm
What is empty space made from? it too exists.
So God's empty space?
No, you misunderstood, I was asking you what is space made from to show others here that you don't know, and you don't know otherwise I'm sure you'd have answered rather than evaded.
JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:07 pm
And tautologies are made from tautologies.

What confirmatory evidence can you provide for your claim?
The presence of the universe, my own existence within that universe.

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:47 pm What is anything made of?
Depends on what anything, and to what level of detail we can provide.

I like to build stuff. Metal, wood, nails or screws, glue, and cussing're the most common materials, but not necessarily in that order.

Snip request for composition of stuff I ain't claimed to exist.
Do you know what love is made of?

What I'm trying to teach you here is that the question "What is God made of" is one of a class of questions, it isn't hard to answer because it's asking about God, it's hard to answer because the subject cannot be decomposed, like "love" we cannot apply reduction to the subject of the question.

Basically asking the question and seeing no answer that satisfies you is not some kind of proof that God does not exist or cannot exist,

I've spent enough time now genuinely trying to help you, if this isn't valued or you just want a back-n-forth then I'm done.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #199

Post by JehovahsWitness »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:22 pm

This is getting funnier and funnier with each new attempt at what TRUTH(tm) can be put to the OP.
Are you suggesting I made any claim of truth regarding the OP?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

alexxcJRO
Guru

Post #200

Post by alexxcJRO »

What is anything made of? what's an electron made of? what's a higgs boson made of? what's a gluon made of? what's a gravitational field made of? what is love made of? what is space made of? what is consciousness made of?.............

You can't answer any of these questions yet you demand an answer to yours.
God in your view is the answer to infinite regress time problem, infinite regress causal problem, infinite regress reduction problem.

1. But I think this posits a false dichotomy for it might presuppose some wrong questions, problems.
Either God exists to solve these problems, answer these questions or this problem remain unsolvable.

Q: What if this problems, questions only exit because one is ignorant of something?
The something might make that such questions, problems to become irrelevant, meaningless.
Making an argument from ignorance is rather fallacious one and playing into the God of the Gaps.

2. Q: What if the universe(everything in totality that exists) thing can serve as its own explanation(Eternalism) in a B theory of time where there is no such thing as temporal becoming and temporal lapse of time?

Every moment of time, all there is just exists at once: tenselessly.
The absurdities discussed by al-Ghazali do not arise. No infinite regress time problem, infinite regress causal problem.
The passage of time is a subjective illusion of human consciousness. Temporal becoming is not an objective feature of reality.
No god or another cause outside its existence.

Particles are excitations of quantum fields.
Fermion fields correspond to the matter particles (quarks and leptons).
Boson fields correspond to the force-carrying particles (gluons, weak bosons, and photon) and the Higgs.
The Higgs field is a quantum field that permeates all of space.

Q: What if quantum fields/strings can serve as its own explanation as the ultimate reduction stop gap. No god or another reduction outside its existence.

Q: If you ask why does the universe exist in this manner rather then not?
I can ask the same question of your God. 8-)

God is just a lazy answer. :D
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived."
"God is a insignificant nobody. He is so unimportant that no one would even know he exists if evolution had not made possible for animals capable of abstract thought to exist and invent him"
"Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer."