Body or no?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Body or no?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

In reading through the below article, it seems there's a divisive ideology over rather the body of jesus was physically raised at the resurrection or not.
For discussion:
Do you believe jesus physically rose or not?
Why does it matter one way or the other?
Or does it not matter and why?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/baptists-hol ... 43339.html
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

cms

Re: Body or no?

Post #71

Post by cms »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:02 pm Turin shroud, eh? I read quite a bit about that in the pre -debate days when of course the discovery of it being a negative image of a stunningly convincing human figure and the issuing of several arguments that it was what it was claimed to be, on the evidence
Well, I figure life can be a little boring without some kind of mystery. Right? :D

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: Body or no?

Post #72

Post by TRANSPONDER »

cms wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:15 pm
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:02 pm Turin shroud, eh? I read quite a bit about that in the pre -debate days when of course the discovery of it being a negative image of a stunningly convincing human figure and the issuing of several arguments that it was what it was claimed to be, on the evidence
Well, I figure life can be a little boring without some kind of mystery. Right? :D
Mysteries... :D at the risk of drifting off topic.. A friend of mine who got into the whole Gods from outer space thing, after a discussion about the pyramids and the evidence that, puzzles or not, men DID build them and not ETs in flying saucers witth stone -cutting lazer -rays airlifting stone blocks around with tractor -beams protested "I Need Mysteries". I feel differently. I want to Solve mysteries. Not necessarily debunk them but get the answer, if I can. Some of those Mysteries (or problems) in the old days were Did the British win Waterloo or did the French? (Yes, I heard the claim :roll: ) Was William Bligh to Blame for the mutiny or Fletcher Christian?) And what about the whole Flying Saucer thing? And Chariots of the Gods, ET technology and all the OOBs? And the biggie - Did Jesus really rise from the dead or was it some kind of hoax, if indeed it even happened at all? And the shroud was a big talking point back then, when the Image looked like a negative of a real body and examination of dust and pollen suggested a middle eastern origin. And the claim that it was just a painting was easily dismissed.

Well, the debunk was already there even before the (contested) C14 data. Indeed one book saw it first - the image is a flat negative and not an imprint on a wrapping. It argued that the 100lb of spices were in brick form :? stacked on each side of the body and the shroud stretched over the top to Acquire the imprint. Clearly there no reason to do that and whatever it is, it's an image on a flat cloth and cannot be a shroud. But like so much around the resurrection - the empty tomb, the whole crucifixion -scenario, IF it was what it was claimed (by Gospel -apologists) to be, it would be evidence that Jesus did not rise from the dead but was never dead. If it is all fake and fabrication then the question doesn't arise, but even before I realised that the Resurrection accounts are individual fabrications, I knew that an actual solid -body resurrection from death as a miracle was a poor also -ran behind a tall tale and a nice little plan to save Jesus.