How Crazy does Evolution Seem?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Purple Knight
Prodigy

How Crazy does Evolution Seem?

Post #1

Post by Purple Knight »

This is not a question of whether or not evolution is crazy, but how crazy it seems at first glance.

That is, when we discard our experiences and look at claims as if through new eyes, what do we find when we look at evolution? I Believe we can find a great deal of common ground with this question, because when I discard my experience as an animal breeder, when I discard my knowledge, and what I've been taught, I might look at evolution with the same skepticism as someone who has either never been taught anything about it, or someone who has been taught to distrust it.

Personally my mind goes to the keratinised spines on the tongues of cats. Yes, cats have fingernails growing out of their tongues! Gross, right? Well, these particular fingernails have evolved into perfect little brushes for the animal's fur. But I think of that first animal with a horrid growth of keratin on its poor tongue. The poor thing didn't die immediately, and this fits perfectly with what I said about two steps back paying for one forward. This detrimental mutation didn't hurt the animal enough for the hapless thing to die of it, but surely it caused some suffering. And persevering thing that he was, he reproduced despite his disability (probably in a time of plenty that allowed that). But did he have the growths anywhere else? It isn't beyond reason to think of them protruding from the corners of his eyes or caking up more and more on the palms of his hands. Perhaps he had them where his eyelashes were, and it hurt him to even blink. As disturbing as my mental picture is of this scenario, this sad creature isn't even as bad off as this boar, whose tusks grew up and curled until they punctured his brain.

This is a perfect example of a detrimental trait being preserved because it doesn't hurt the animal enough to kill it before it mates. So we don't have to jump right from benefit to benefit. The road to a new beneficial trait might be long, going backwards most of the way, and filled with a lot of stabbed brains and eyelids.

Walking backwards most of the time, uphill both ways, and across caltrops almost the entire trip?

I have to admit, thinking about walking along such a path sounds like, at very least, a very depressing way to get from A to B. I would hope there would be a better way.

EarthScienceguy
Guru

Re: How Crazy does Evolution Seem?

Post #961

Post by EarthScienceguy »

[Replying to The Barbarian in post #0]
St. Augustine never heard of "higher criticism."

Never thought he did. I asked if you believed in higher criticism.
He merely noted that where scripture was not clearly supporting any particular thing, we should be very careful not to add our own ideas to it, and we should be willing to revise our ideas if new information became available.
You are making an assumption that Augustine was not addressing a specific issue. Like, for example, whether or not the stars and planets are the abode of angelic spirits. (Augustine, De Genesi ad Litteram, 2.18.38, Taylor, ref 6, p. 73; also McMullin, ref. 7, pp. 292–293, 2006, draws out a Principle of Prudence from this.)

You're probably thinking of what is now called "textual criticism." You see it in creationist organizations like "Answers in Genesis" for example when they point out that the development of new species from older species is not anywhere denied in Scripture
Answers in Genesis teach that God created kinds and all the species of animals that we see in the world today are descendants from those original kinds. And yes that is very textual. God told Noah to bring animals on the ark according to each kind.
If you think so, you don't know much about philosophy. Most of the Ionian philosophers thought the world was eternal. And many, like Democritus, thought that there was nothing but atoms, with nothing else at all.
WOW! You are speaking about a time 500-1000 years before Augustine. In Augustine's day, there was no debate because Christian theology had won that debate. Augustine believed that the universe was created in an instant way quicker than 6 days.
But the scientists of the Renaissance, borrowing from the Greeks and Arabs, focused on methodological naturalism. Galileo and Bacon, for example, explicitly ruled out supernatural or magical issues in understanding nature.
I thought we were talking about Augustine. The Renaissance is 4 to 5 hundred years after Augustine.
He pointed out that the text itself made that clear. He saw the "days" of creation as categories, not literal periods of time.
I already said that Augustine was incorrect on this issue because Creation had not yet been argued through theologically. We call these men the early church father because they were correct on 1 or 2 issues not because they were correct about all the issues. If they were correct on all the issues their work would have to be regarded as inspired and their writings are far from being considered inspired.
When the evidence for long ages became obvious, most Christians realized that their earlier assumptions about scripture were incorrect.
Higher criticism did make it easier for people to believe in deep time. But it took most of the 1800s to argue through what the Bible actually said about creation. Now there is little confusion on what the terms mean and what the Greek construction means. Each direction of thought has been laid out. It has been well documented that for a person to believe in deep time they must treat Genesis as an allegory and the literal interpretation of Genesis describes a universe that was created in 6 days. There is also the Gap theory which puts time between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2. The arguments are laid out for people to read.

I am good with a literal interpretation of Genesis. There is now more evidence than ever before about 6-day creation. You seem to be treating Augustine's words as if they were Scripture, they are not. He was a man prone to error just like every other man. Especially back in Augustine's day when the great doctrines of the Church were being formed which sometimes took decades.
A literal interpretation of the Bible does not give a 6,000 year old Earth. It takes a good amount of exegesis and assumptions about what it means to arrive at that new doctrine.
You would need to explain how this is the case because James Ussher's methodology of how he came up with 6000 years is well documented and understood.
"Literal" would be "what it actually said." Christians generally do not accept the addition of a young Earth to scripture. They object to such unwarranted additions. So did St. Augustine:
Yes, whether or not stars were the abode of the angels. Yes, Augustine would say that is a silly argument.

But after reading through the theological exegesis of creation. I am quite sure he would align himself with 6-day creation. And he definitely did not believe in long ages. So Augustine did believe that God created this universe in a short amount of time.

The Barbarian
Sage

Post #962

Post by The Barbarian »

William wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:15 pm [Replying to The Barbarian in post #959]

Indeed - the argument being that there are some who take account of Scripture without resorting to "mischievous false opinions" by being so literal that an evidence to the contrary is ignored.

One could ask the question;

Q: Why - in matters concerning the resurrection of the dead, the hope of eternal life, and the kingdom of heaven - is the age of this universe a necessary matter of contention?
It's not necessary at all. This is why one can be a YE creationist or a traditional Christian, with both people being equally valid Christians. Only if one makes an idol of their views on creation, and insists that his particular view is essential to salvation, does that salvation become endangered. And that's true of those who accept evolution as well as those who reject it.

The Barbarian
Sage

Post #963

Post by The Barbarian »

St. Augustine never heard of "higher criticism."
EarthScienceguy wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:17 pm Never thought he did. I asked if you believed in higher criticism.
In the Church today, it's called "textual criticism." And I'm with St. Augustine on this.

He merely noted that where scripture was not clearly supporting any particular thing, we should be very careful not to add our own ideas to it, and we should be willing to revise our ideas if new information became available.

You're probably thinking of what is now called "textual criticism." You see it in creationist organizations like "Answers in Genesis" for example when they point out that the development of new species from older species is not anywhere denied in Scripture
You are making an assumption that Augustine was not addressing a specific issue.
His opening line says he wasn't. Did you read it?
Answers in Genesis teach that God created kinds
Which traditional Christians do also. The issue is that creationists don't approve of the way He did it.

If you think so, you don't know much about philosophy. Most of the Ionian philosophers thought the world was eternal. And many, like Democritus, thought that there was nothing but atoms, with nothing else at all.

In Augustine's day, there was no such thing as a naturalistic theory of the creation of the universe, there were no intellectuals that believed that there was deep time or that God did not create the Universe.
WOW! You are speaking about a time 500-1000 years before Augustine. In Augustine's day, there was no debate because Christian theology had won that debate.[/quote]

No, that's wrong. For example, St. Augustine felt compelled to write a rebuttal of the pagan claim that Christianity had been responsible for the disasters in Rome in his time.
Augustine believed that the universe was created in an instant way quicker than 6 days.
An instantaneous creation of the universe, from which all other things came forth as God created them to do. Which is consistent with the Bible and what we know of the world through science.
With the rise and dominance of Christianity in the West and the later spread of Islam, metaphysical naturalism was generally abandoned by intellectuals.
But the scientists of the Renaissance, borrowing from the Greeks and Arabs, focused on methodological naturalism. Galileo and Bacon, for example, explicitly ruled out supernatural or magical issues in understanding nature.
I thought we were talking about Augustine. The Renaissance is 4 to 5 hundred years after Augustine.
Probably a bad idea for you to bring it up, then.
He pointed out that the text itself made that clear. He saw the "days" of creation as categories, not literal periods of time.
When the evidence for long ages became obvious, most Christians realized that their earlier assumptions about scripture were incorrect.
Higher criticism did make it easier for people to believe in deep time.
As Augustine put it, a willingness to revise one's opinions on things not clear in scripture, when new evidence is found.
But it took most of the 1800s to argue through what the Bible actually said about creation. Now there is little confusion on what the terms mean and what the Greek construction means.
For most Christians, yes. But there remain a significant number of creationists who do not accept Genesis as it is. Fortunately, it is not a salvation issue.
Each direction of thought has been laid out. It has been well documented that for a person to believe in deep time they must treat Genesis as an allegory and the literal interpretation of Genesis describes a universe that was created in 6 days.
Augustine's work was "The Literal Meaning of Genesis." And he pointed out that a literal reading of Genesis ruled out literal days. The text itself says this.
I am good with a literal interpretation of Genesis. There is now more evidence than ever before about 6-day creation.
No, that's wrong. This is why the number of creationists is declining over time.
You seem to be treating the 20th century exigesis of creationists as if they were Scripture, they are not.
A literal interpretation of the Bible does not give a 6,000 year old Earth. It takes a good amount of exegesis and assumptions about what it means to arrive at that new doctrine.
You would need to explain how this is the case because James Ussher's methodology of how he came up with 6000 years is well documented and understood.
Most Christians do not accept it, since it requires the assumption that the Creation "week" is an actual history, which the text itself makes clear that it is not.

"Literal" would be "what it actually said." Christians generally do not accept the addition of a young Earth to scripture. They object to such unwarranted additions. So did St. Augustine:
Often, a non-Christian knows something about the earth, the heavens, and the other parts of the world, about the motions and orbits of the stars and even their sizes and distances, … and this knowledge he holds with certainty from reason and experience. It is thus offensive and disgraceful for an unbeliever to hear a Christian talk nonsense about such things, claiming that what he is saying is based in Scripture. We should do all we can to avoid such an embarrassing situation, which people see as ignorance in the Christian and laugh to scorn.

The shame is not so much that an ignorant person is laughed at, but rather that people outside the faith believe that we hold such opinions, and thus our teachings are rejected as ignorant and unlearned. If they find a Christian mistaken in a subject that they know well and hear him maintaining his foolish opinions as based on our teachings, how are they going to believe these teachings in matters concerning the resurrection of the dead, the hope of eternal life, and the kingdom of heaven, when they think these teachings are filled with fallacies about facts which they have learnt from experience and reason.

Reckless and presumptuous expounders of Scripture bring about much harm when they are caught in their mischievous false opinions by those not bound by our sacred texts. And even more so when they then try to defend their rash and obviously untrue statements by quoting a shower of words from Scripture and even recite from memory passages which they think will support their case ‘without understanding either what they are saying or what they assert with such assurance.’ (1 Timothy 1:7)

Yes, whether or not stars were the abode of the angels.
As you see, he didn't mention that. He made a more general argument that one should avoid putting one's own wishes into scripture and then announce them to be God's word.
But after reading through the theological exegesis of creation. I am quite sure he would align himself with 6-day creation.
He clearly did not. He wrote of an instantaneous creation, from which everything else unfolded as God intended. He thought the potential for all things was in that creation so (for example) the Earth would bring forth life, rather than God poofing it into being.
And he definitely did not believe in long ages.
The evidence for a very old Earth was not available to him. By the late 18th century, most Christians had accepted the evidence, which is of course consistent with Genesis.
So Augustine did believe that God created this universe in a short amount of time.
In an instant, actually. But as he says, he was willing to consider new evidence, since the text is not perfectly clear on this issue.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #964

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:15 am
JoeyKnothead wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:06 am
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:05 am
JoeyKnothead wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:02 am
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:57 am ...
Logic is my profession.
Even a blind man can paint a picture. It's determining the quality thereof where it gets tricky.
And a blind man cannot determine quality of said painting can they...
This ain't the killer reply you think it is.
I thought it was funny myself, anyway what's your problem? you got a problem with me personally?
It's just debate.

I seek to ensure folks don't think some magic man in the sky has anything to do with anything.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

William
Savant

Post #965

Post by William »

[Replying to The Barbarian in post #962]
Only if one makes an idol of their views on creation, and insists that his particular view is essential to salvation, does that salvation become endangered.
Why would anyone's "salvation become endangered" if they believe in ex nihilo or in the age of the Universe?

What does it matter concerning the resurrection of the dead, the hope of eternal life, and the kingdom of heaven - what one believes re the age of this universe - or for that matter, how it came to be, that such belief would endanger anyone's salvation?

The Barbarian
Sage

Post #966

Post by The Barbarian »

[Replying to The Barbarian in post #962]
Only if one makes an idol of their views on creation, and insists that his particular view is essential to salvation, does that salvation become endangered.
William wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:12 pmWhy would anyone's "salvation become endangered" if they believe in ex nihilo or in the age of the Universe?
It wouldn't be by just believing it. Adding those beliefs and declaring that they are essential to salvation, would do that.

The age of the Earth or the literal or figurative nature of the creation story have nothing to do with salvation.

William
Savant

Post #967

Post by William »

[Replying to The Barbarian in post #966]
Why would anyone's "salvation become endangered" if they believe in ex nihilo or in the age of the Universe?
It wouldn't be by just believing it. Adding those beliefs and declaring that they are essential to salvation, would do that.
Why?

The Barbarian
Sage

Post #968

Post by The Barbarian »

William wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:17 pm [Replying to The Barbarian in post #966]
Why?
Proverbs 30:5-6 Every word of God proves true; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him. Do not add to his words, lest he rebuke you and you be found a liar.

Deuteronomy 4:2 You shall not add to the word that I speak to you, neither shall you take away from it: keep the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you.

William
Savant

Post #969

Post by William »

The Barbarian wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:13 pm
William wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:17 pm [Replying to The Barbarian in post #966]
Why?
Proverbs 30:5-6 Every word of God proves true; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him. Do not add to his words, lest he rebuke you and you be found a liar.

Deuteronomy 4:2 You shall not add to the word that I speak to you, neither shall you take away from it: keep the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you.
Did the God say either way?

Do you have any example of what it means to add or take away from every word from God, and what the consequence was re that?

The Barbarian
Sage

Post #970

Post by The Barbarian »

William wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:45 am

Did the God say either way?
Yep. That's God's word above. It's O.K. to say, "the Bible doesn't say specifically, but I believe..." It's not O.K. to say "the Bible says that..." if the Bible doesn't actually say it.
Do you have any example of what it means to add or take away from every word from God, and what the consequence was re that?
For example, if one was to say "the Bible says the Earth is billions of years old", or "the Bible says the Earth is 6000 years old", one would be adding to scripture.

God says the penalty is to be rebuked by Him, and to be found a liar.