Is it reasonable to assume a creator?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Sherlock Holmes

Is it reasonable to assume a creator?

Post #1

Post by Sherlock Holmes »

I think most would agree that the universe is a rationally intelligible system. We can discover structures, patterns, laws and symmetries within the system. Things that happen within the system seem to be related to those laws too. So given all this is it not at least reasonable to form the view that it is the work of an intelligent source? Isn't it at least as reasonable or arguably more reasonable to assume that as it is to assume it just so happens to exist with all these laws, patterns just there, with all that takes place in the universe just being fluke?

If we take some of the laws of physics too, we can write these down very succinctly using mathematics, indeed mathematics seems to be a language that is superb for describing things in the universe, a fine example being Maxwell's equations for the electromagnetic field. Theoretical physicists often say they feel that they are discovering these laws too:

So if the universe can be described in a language like mathematics doesn't that too strongly suggest an intelligent source? much as we'd infer if we stumbled upon clay tablets with writing on them or symbols carved into stone? Doesn't discovery of something written in a language, more or less prove an intelligent source?

So isn't this all reasonable? is there anything unreasonable about this position?

Sherlock Holmes

Re: Is it reasonable to assume a creator?

Post #281

Post by Sherlock Holmes »

brunumb wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:41 pm
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:25 pm
brunumb wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:33 pm
EarthScienceguy wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:19 pm The Bible was written as a narrative describing events that occurred. If you would like to claim that the Bible does not accurately claim what it says it is then we cannot know anything about what happened in antiquity.
When one knows so little about who wrote the Bible stories and when they were written, it is presumptuous to claim anything about what it accurately describes or the motives of the authors in writing their narratives. I agree that we cannot know anything about what happened in antiquity to any degree of certainty.
brunumb wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:33 pm But how does any of it really matter when it does not have the same intended clout or impact as religious propaganda? If Julius Caesar didn't really exist or carry out any of his alleged exploits, so what? No one is demanding we completely run our lives around belief in that particular JC.
I don't see how any of that can shed light on the veracity of these ancient documents. Even if people since that time might have used the Bible for questionable motives that cannot in any way show that the documents themselves are not supernaturally inspired, do not refer to true historic events and so on. It really is irrelevant. To say that some books are a fabrication on the basis of how others have used those books is a fallacy.
If you actually read the post I responded to and what I said you might realise that you are again creating a straw man to attack. EarthScienceguy made the claim "The Bible was written as a narrative describing events that occurred". Where have I made any of the claims you attributed to me and proceeded to attack? Can you support what EarthScienceguy claimed?
Well I apologize, I thought you were dismissing the Bible because it might have been motivated by "religious propaganda".

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #282

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:54 pm Well I apologize, I thought you were dismissing the Bible because it might have been motivated by "religious propaganda".
It might not started out to be it, but danged if it ain't ended up it.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

EarthScienceguy
Guru

Post #283

Post by EarthScienceguy »

[Replying to Difflugia in post #275]

EarthScienceguy wrote: ↑Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:25 am
What part of what I am saying are you saying is not correct? Are you trying to say that it is not written mainly as a narrative?
That it wasn't written mainly as a historical narrative, yes.
Are you saying that the Bible was not actually describing the actions of individuals in historical events that were taking place?
Yes.
Are you saying that historians do not use individuals' letters to other people to acquire historical events that took place and to understand the language and culture of the day?
No.
Are you trying to say that the resurrection was not described as a historical event that actually took place?
Yes.
Feel free to present them.
This is where most of you on this site detach yourselves from reality. You do not have to like it or agree with it but the following has already been conceded even by liberal scholars.
1. Most of the Bible was written as a historical narrative. Saying that this is not true is a total detachment from reality.
2. Bible was describing the actions of individuals in historical events that were taking place. Again saying this is not true is a total detachment from reality.
3. The resurrection was described as a historical event that actually took place. Leaving reality again.

I do not even understand what you are basing your answers on. Even a simple reading of the Bible proves your above statements incorrect.

So whatever empty statements again.

EarthScienceguy
Guru

Post #284

[Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #277]
God did it" might be a profound proclamation to those who fail to understand that assertion ain't fact.
Then what did?

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #285

Post by JoeyKnothead »

EarthScienceguy wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:03 pm [Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #277]
God did it" might be a profound proclamation to those who fail to understand that assertion ain't fact.
B
Then what did?
Beats me.

I don't try to claim a knowledge I ain't got.

Bout the only thing I know for sure is to do what the pretty thing says, or I might not get me to see her nekkid.
-Punkinhead Martin

Tcg
Savant

Post #286

Post by Tcg »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:30 pm
EarthScienceguy wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:03 pm [Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #277]
B
Then what did?
Beats me.

I don't try to claim a knowledge I ain't got.

Bout the only thing I know for sure is to do what the pretty thing says, or I might not get me to see her nekkid.
I agree. I see no reason to see a need for a what. If there were a what, then we'd need to figure out the what that caused the first what. Instead of turtles all the way down it'd be whats all the way down. It resolves nothing.

It does remind me of getting a haircut as a little kid where there were mirrors on both walls so I'd see a seemingly endless number of Tcgs. It's kinda nostalgic because of that, but not much else.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #287

Post by Difflugia »

EarthScienceguy wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:59 pmThis is where most of you on this site detach yourselves from reality. You do not have to like it or agree with it but the following has already been conceded even by liberal scholars.
I don't think you quite understand what it is that the "liberal scholars" have "conceded." There is no consensus on whether or not the gospel genre is biography in the Greek sense and even Greek biography is often not historical in the modern sense. There are elements of history that can perhaps be gleaned from the biblical narrative, but that's not the same as saying that it was written as history, or at least not as modern history in which the goal is to recount a series of events more or less as they happened.
EarthScienceguy wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:59 pm1. Most of the Bible was written as a historical narrative. Saying that this is not true is a total detachment from reality.
2. Bible was describing the actions of individuals in historical events that were taking place. Again saying this is not true is a total detachment from reality.
This is from chapter 2 of Graham Stanton's excellent treatment of the subject, The Gospels and Jesus:
The gospels raise a whole series of interesting questions. Are they intended by the evangelists to be read as accurate records of the life of Jesus? Or are they theological treatises cast very loosely in a narrative framework? Were the evangelists simply editors, compilers, or anthologists? Or were they self-conscious authors? Are the gospels stories whose purpose is to engage the reader whose understanding or knowledge is expected to progress from the beginning to the end of the narrative?

These questions will be discussed in this chapter. Unless at least provisional answers are found, there is a real risk that the gospels will not be properly understood. In the past inappropriate answers to these questions have sometimes led to a good deal of misunderstanding. Many readers of the gospels have assumed that they are intended to be accurate records of the life of Jesus, perhaps from eyewitnesses. They are then very puzzled by the differing accounts of the same incident in two or more gospels.

In this chapter we shall consider several different ways of approaching the gospels. For a long period in the nineteenth century the gospels were seen as historically reliable records or as biographies. In the early decades of the twentieth century the gospels came to be seen as anthologies of traditions which had been shaped by the life and faith of the early Christian communities in which they were transmitted. The gospels were ‘proclamation’ and not in any sense ‘records’ of the past. Following the Second World War attention turned to the distinctive emphases of the individual evangelists. Finally, and most recently, many scholars have used insights drawn from modern literary criticism and interpreted the gospels as stories with characters and dramatic plots.

It is worth noting at the outset that scholars have often mistakenly assumed that these are mutually exclusive ways of approaching the gospels. In our opening chapter we have already emphasized that ‘story’ and ‘significance’ are intertwined. We shall consider this point further at the end of this chapter.
It's still an academically open question whether or not the gospels were intended by their authors to narrate historical events.
EarthScienceguy wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:59 pm3. The resurrection was described as a historical event that actually took place. Leaving reality again.
I guess it depends on how you mean that. If you mean "described as a historical event within a narrative that may be partly or completely fictive," then I agree with you. This paragraph from The Wind in the Willows, for example, is described as a historical event:
The following evening the Mole, who had risen late and taken things very easy all day, was sitting on the bank fishing, when the Rat, who had been looking up his friends and gossiping, came strolling along to find him. 'Heard the news?" he said. 'There's nothing else being talked about, all along the river bank. Toad went up to Town by an early train this morning. And he has ordered a large and very expensive motor-car."
We can be pretty sure it's not a historical event, but that's how it's described.
EarthScienceguy wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:59 pmI do not even understand what you are basing your answers on. Even a simple reading of the Bible proves your above statements incorrect.
Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant. I took what you wrote to be asking if the New Testament authors were writing what they believed to be accurate accounts of historical events. Were you just referring to style?
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

EarthScienceguy
Guru

Post #288

[Replying to Difflugia in post #287]
I don't think you quite understand what it is that the "liberal scholars" have "conceded." There is no consensus on whether or not the gospel genre is biography in the Greek sense and even Greek biography is often not historical in the modern sense. There are elements of history that can perhaps be gleaned from the biblical narrative, but that's not the same as saying that it was written as history, or at least not as modern history in which the goal is to recount a series of events more or less as they happened.
Again a simple reading of the text disproves this:
Luke 1:1-4 Inasmuch as many have undertaken to compile a narrative of the things which have been accomplished among us, just as they were delivered to us by those who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and ministers of the word, it seemed good to me also, having followed all things closely for some time past, to write an orderly account for you, most excellent The-oph′ilus, that you may know the truth concerning the things of which you have been informed.
The gospels raise a whole series of interesting questions. Are they intended by the evangelists to be read as accurate records of the life of Jesus? Or are they theological treatises cast very loosely in a narrative framework? Were the evangelists simply editors, compilers, or anthologists? Or were they self-conscious authors? Are the gospels stories whose purpose is to engage the reader whose understanding or knowledge is expected to progress from the beginning to the end of the narrative?
This writer's thesis at least bout the gospels is disproved right out of the gate by Luke 1:1-4. Also by the fact that the message of Christianity is that Jesus died and rose again which each of the four Gospels describes in detail. That Jesus died and rose again for the forgiveness of their sin are the facts that must be believed to be a Christian. In fact, there were enough Christians in Rome who believed this message as fact, that by AD 67 Nero could blame the Christians for the fire that destroyed Rome.

Besides the fact that there is evidence outside the Bible that supports the Gospel Narrative.
  • Tiberius' Proposal to the Senate
    Tertullian's account suggests that Pilate reported to Tiberius
    not only the trial and condemnation of Jesus but also subsequent
    events indicating his divinity.9 The existing forged letters of Pilate
    to Tiberius emphasize especially the darkening of the sun and the

'Eusebius, Eccl. Hist. 2.2.1, in NPNF, 2d Series, 1:105. A good example of the
    ongoing extensive correspondence between governors and emperors is provided, of
    course, by the Letters of Pliny, governor of Bithynia, to Emperor Trajan.

8Tertullian, Apology 5, in ANF 3:22. Cf. Apology 21, in ANF 3:35, where
    Tertullian explicitly states that Pilate reported concerning Christ "to the reigning
    Caesar, who at the time was Tiberius." Justin Martyr in his I Apology, addressed to
    Emperor Antoninus Pius and the Roman people, appeals twice to the "Acts of
    Pontius Pilate"-to substantiate his account of Christ's crucifixion (chap. 35) and of
    Christ's mighty works (chap. 18). "That these things did happen, you can ascertain
    from the Acts of Pontius Pilate," he states in chap. 35 (ANF 1:175). It is hard to
    believe that Justin would challenge Romans to verify his account by reading the
    "Acts of Pontius Pilate," if such a document did not exist or was not readily
    available. The acta mentioned by Justin presumably refer to Pilate's report to
    Tiberius.

The extant versions of the Acts of Pilate and of the Letters of Pilate are, of
    course, an obvious Christian forgery, but they were probably based upon a genuine
    historical tradition. Further discussion of this matter will be given below.
    This is indicated, e.g., by the account of the darkening of the sun at the time of
    Christ's crucifixion, an account which, Tertullian says, "you yourselves [i.e.,
    Romans] have . . . still in your archives" (Apology 21, in ANF 3:35). Eusebius
    explicitly says that Pilate "gave an account also of other wonders which he had
    learned of him [i.e., Christ], and how, after his death, having risen from the dead, he
    was now believed by many to be a God" (Eccl. Hist. 2.2.2, in NPNF, 2d Series,
    1: 105). https://digitalcommons.andrews.edu/cgi/ ... ntext=auss
EarthScienceguy wrote: ↑Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:59 pm
3. The resurrection was described as a historical event that actually took place. Leaving reality again.
I guess it depends on how you mean that. If you mean "described as a historical event within a narrative that may be partly or completely fictive," then I agree with you. This paragraph from The Wind in the Willows, for example, is described as a historical event:
The following evening the Mole, who had risen late and taken things very easy all day, was sitting on the bank fishing, when the Rat, who had been looking up his friends and gossiping, came strolling along to find him. 'Heard the news?" he said. 'There's nothing else being talked about, all along the river bank. Toad went up to Town by an early train this morning. And he has ordered a large and very expensive motor-car."
We can be pretty sure it's not a historical event, but that's how it's described.
Again who believes this actually happen? If you believe this happen it does shed light on why you would believe the actual historical facts that are described in the Bible.

EarthScienceguy wrote: ↑Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:59 pm
I do not even understand what you are basing your answers on. Even a simple reading of the Bible proves your above statements incorrect.
Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant. I took what you wrote to be asking if the New Testament authors were writing what they believed to be accurate accounts of historical events.
I am saying that it was an accurate account of historical events and that most scholars agree with me.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #289

Post by Difflugia »

EarthScienceguy wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:19 amAgain a simple reading of the text disproves this:
Your "simple reading" only shows that Luke wants to give the appearance of history. There are reasons to think that it was for literary effect rather than as an indication that Luke intended to write history:

From Acts in its Ancient Literary Context by Loveday Alexander, page 14:
We still have to take into account the negative fact that the conventions Luke uses in his preface, the most significant single place for ancient authors to make preliminary indications to their readers about genre and topic, are counter-indicative of Greek historiography. Of course, Luke might have just got his preface-etiquette wrong, or decided to do something different: but we have only to look at Josephus to see a Jewish contemporary who is painfully aware of the conventional code governing the composition of a historical preface. In other words, I would argue, a Greek reader would need strong generic indications within the narrative to outweigh the negative expectations induced by the preface.
EarthScienceguy wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:19 amThis writer's thesis at least bout the gospels is disproved right out of the gate by Luke 1:1-4. Also by the fact that the message of Christianity is that Jesus died and rose again which each of the four Gospels describes in detail. That Jesus died and rose again for the forgiveness of their sin are the facts that must be believed to be a Christian. In fact, there were enough Christians in Rome who believed this message as fact, that by AD 67 Nero could blame the Christians for the fire that destroyed Rome.
The Gospels aren't quite as unified about the death and resurrection as you make them out to be, but they do consider them important. That doesn't imply that they're considered historical, though.
EarthScienceguy wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:19 amBesides the fact that there is evidence outside the Bible that supports the Gospel Narrative.
Your evidence is that Christian apologists (the "extrabiblical sources") tried to support the Gospels as historical narrative. The bit about "The Acts of Pilate" being something other than another Christian "Acts" text (of which we have a number) is speculative.

I'll also remind you again that it's polite to identify your sources.
EarthScienceguy wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:19 amAgain who believes this actually happen?
Nobody. Nor should they. That's the point. Being described in historical terms and actually being historical aren't the same thing.
EarthScienceguy wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:19 amI am saying that it was an accurate account of historical events and that most scholars agree with me.
Then you should have no problem quoting such scholars. I'm pretty sure you're wrong about that, though. I already supported that in my previous post, so you just asserting your claim again doesn't make much of a counterargument.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #290

Post by JoeyKnothead »

EarthScienceguy wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:19 am Besides the fact that there is evidence outside the Bible that supports the Gospel Narrative.
Finally, we found us someone who can tell how to put truth to gospel claims.

Now shows us there where dead folks quit the being em it and hop em up and fetched on off to town.

Or, tell how it is, mundane reference to towns and cities oughta have us think Jesus beat him death.
-Punkinhead Martin