Animal sacrifice in the Bible

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

Rose2020
Scholar

Animal sacrifice in the Bible

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

This may sound foolishly squeemish but I have always felt deeply uncomfortable with the way animals were sacrificed to appease God in our Bible, often at His direct command. The reality of this is so barbaric. Against all that is gentleness, kindness and love.

Miles
Savant

Re: Animal sacrifice in the Bible

Post #2

Post by Miles »

Rose2020 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:04 am This may sound foolishly squeemish but I have always felt deeply uncomfortable with the way animals were sacrificed to appease God in our Bible, often at His direct command. The reality of this is so barbaric. Against all that is gentleness, kindness and love.
While the Bible does show and even encourage kindness toward animals, there remains god's indifference to their deaths. Animals can legitimately serve as food or sacrifice. For whatever twisted reason (it's never explained) god loves to have animals sacrificed on his behalf, burnt lambs being particularly appreciated. So, I don't blame you for feeling squeamish about praising a god who delights in having animals killed and cut in half simply for pleasure. IMO, it's pretty sick-o. "No, I'm not going to eat them. I just like animals killed and sliced before me. And by the way, don't forget about killing any practicing homosexual men you may come across. That pleases me as well."

signed:Your loving, benevolent, and righteous god.

Rose2020
Scholar

Re: Animal sacrifice in the Bible

Post #3

Post by Rose2020 »

I cannot find an answer to that, it does not seem to fit the attitude of a God who primarily stands for love. It doesn't shake my faith but I am troubled by this.
Yet God is the Almighty and therefore does as He pleases. The fault is in me I assume, for not understanding why certain things are as they are