Matt 27:50-53

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

WebersHome
Guru

Matt 27:50-53

Post #1

Post by WebersHome »

Matt 27:50-53 . . And when Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he gave up his spirit.

. . . At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook and the rocks split. The tombs broke open and the bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. They came out of the tombs, and after Jesus' resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared to many people.

When those people went into town, they likely went directly home to their families and/or their kin; which would've been folks who attended their funerals so there would be no mistaking they were back from the dead.

It would've helped the credibility of Jesus' resurrection quite a bit had he gone into Jerusalem after his resurrection and shown himself alive to Pontius Pilate and the Jews' religious authorities instead of keeping his recovery private.

It's curious why Jesus didn't stage a public appearance after his crucified dead body was successfully restored to life. Why only his followers? Why not to all the Jews?
_

WebersHome
Guru

Re: Matt 27:50-53

Post #2

Post by WebersHome »

Jesus' itinerary was micro-managed viz: he didn't come into the world as an independent agent, instead; he came as a servant.

Phil 2:7-8 . . He made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient

John 4:34 . . My food, said Jesus, is to do the will of him who sent me

John 6:38 . . I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will, but the will of Him who sent me.

John 8:28 . . I do nothing on my own initiative

John 8:29 . . He that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please Him.

John 14:31 . . I do exactly what my Father has commanded me.

So then, the decision not to show himself alive in Jerusalem wasn't Jesus' decision to make. And as I assume that everything God directed His son to do was appropriate, intelligent, and wise, then I believe there is a valid theological reason why Jesus avoided Jerusalem after his crucified dead body was restored to life.
_

WebersHome
Guru

Re: Matt 27:50-53

Post #3

Post by WebersHome »

Matt 23:37-39 . . O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones God's messengers! How often I have wanted to gather your children together as a hen protects her chicks beneath her wings, but you wouldn't let me. And now look, your house is left to you empty and desolate. For I tell you this, you will never see me again until you say; "Blessed is the one who comes in the name of The Lord!"

That passage is loaded with goodies; and I'm pretty sure it's best to regard it as not just Jesus speaking for himself, rather, speaking for God.

John 3:34-35 . .He is sent by God. He speaks God's words, for God's spirit is upon him without measure or limit.

John 8:26 . .He that sent me is true; and I speak to the world those things which I have heard of Him.

John 12:49 . . I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, He gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.

John 14:24 . .The word which you hear is not mine, but the Father's who sent me.

Heb 1:1-2 . . In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days He has spoken to us by His son

So; the first half of Jesus' lament speaks of Old Testament events; the middle speaks of the Temple, and the last part speaks of Christ's return when the whole city inside will welcome him instead of only the folks who welcomed him outside the city per Matt 21:1-10

In a nutshell; Matt 23:37-39 says God would've liked for Jesus to stay and set up the Messianic kingdom, viz: Jerusalem's association with Him back then, prior to Jesus' crucifixion and resurrection, had the potential to become permanent, but instead was cut short. The way Jerusalem went about eliminating Jesus was not only the last straw, but also the last that city would see of him for quite a while.

Hos 3:4-5 . . For the Israelites will live many days without king or prince, without sacrifice or sacred stones, without ephod or idol. Afterward the Israelites will return and seek The Lord their God and David their king. They will come trembling to The Lord and to His blessings in the last days.
_