What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

cookiesusedunderprotest
Student

Adoption by a homosexual couple

Post #1

Post by cookiesusedunderprotest »

Here is one that our laws are quickly making possible:

For the sake of this discussion, let us first assume that, regardless of your personal beliefs, engaging in homosexual acts is immoral (according to God) and harmful for society and that, therefore, all homosexual "marriages" are illegitimate.

Now let's say that a homosexual couple has, in accordance with the legal code of their jurisdiction, gotten "married" and then adopted an infant. Then, once the child has been raised by these "parents" for several years (say about 7), they realize that what they are doing is wrong (allow me to add, just for the sake of diplomacy, that their actions are not unforgivable) and that they need to end their relationship. What now should they do with the child?

Quarkhead
Apprentice

Post #2

Post by Quarkhead »

Whether or not homosexuality is immoral is beside the point, in the context of this question. Of course, they would do the same thing that any divorcing couple would do. Share custody, or not, depending on the circumstances.

We don't take kids away from divorced parents, why should this be any different? I see no moral or ethical dilemma here.

By the way, just as an aside:

ethical dilemmas are much better food for debate if, instead of forcing the respondent to adopt a moral or ethical stance other than their own, the problem as posed allows people to make the choice based on what they actually believe.

otseng
Savant

Post #3

Post by otseng »

Quarkhead wrote: ethical dilemmas are much better food for debate if, instead of forcing the respondent to adopt a moral or ethical stance other than their own, the problem as posed allows people to make the choice based on what they actually believe.
Yeah, I think this is a good idea. I'll modify the guidelines to reflect this.

Vianne
Student

Post #4

Post by Vianne »

I'd have to agree, it would be no different than with heterosexual parents. They share custody, or the more financially/emotionally stable parent retains custody, with visitation rights established for the other parent.

And it wouldn't matter whether you renounced your former orientation, you would both still be his or her mother (a female parental figure), and your new husbands would still be stepfathers.

Vianne

potwalloper.
Scholar

Re: Adoption by a homosexual couple

Post #5

Post by potwalloper. »

cookiesusedunderprotest wrote
For the sake of this discussion, let us first assume that, regardless of your personal beliefs, engaging in homosexual acts is immoral (according to God) and harmful for society and that, therefore, all homosexual "marriages" are illegitimate.
Sorry but I'm afraid I cannot make such an assumption - to debate this from your suggested point of view would close down a legitimate area for consideration and in any case I believe your whole point to be predicated on a false premise - that homosexual acts are somehow immoral. I also cannot see how this has any bearing on the issue of adoption by same sex couples. :confused2:

Euronyzeus

The question

Post #6

Post by Euronyzeus »

Tough question.. well fist of all i think if a guy likes another guy why should that be wrong it´s they´re problem doesn´t bothers me. the homosexual adoption doesn´t bothers me either if they raise the child not as a homosexual nor as a heterosexual let him decide for himself and well if these parents did did that, they should had no problem leaving the child again in an orfelinatum, but raised as they are raised (either hetero or homo) these kids have problems. I have a friend (male) who has two mothers and was concieved by artificial insemination but was born with only one testicle and it´s very anti-female pro-man. And well the problem is what would the child think now of pretty much everything after being raised and then like neglected to by parens who thought they were not doing the right thing to do wich probably was being only done wrongly (and even if they don´t this kids, again, have problems of all kind, mainly social.)

Greatest I Am
Banned
Banned

Re: Adoption by a homosexual couple

Post #7

Post by Greatest I Am »

cookiesusedunderprotest wrote:Here is one that our laws are quickly making possible:

Now let's say that a homosexual couple has, in accordance with the legal code of their jurisdiction, gotten "married" and then adopted an infant. Then, once the child has been raised by these "parents" for several years (say about 7), they realize that what they are doing is wrong (allow me to add, just for the sake of diplomacy, that their actions are not unforgivable) and that they need to end their relationship. What now should they do with the child?
You did not mention love.
Would a seven year old reject his, her, parents?
Is the welfare of the child not the important fact here.

The fact that God allows the birth of gays should indicate to all believers that they like the rest of us have a purpose in life. Or is God screwing up?

Regards
DL