Is it suicide?

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

Rose2020
Scholar

Is it suicide?

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

Hypothetically, what if a person is diagnosed with a serious life-threatening illness but chooses not to take any treatment, knowing it will be fatal without any, except pain relief to help die without intolerable discomfort? Would that constitute suicide?
It is interesting to know the view from both an atheist and Christian stance.

Miles
Savant

Re: Is it suicide?

Post #2

Post by Miles »

Rose2020 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:18 am Hypothetically, what if a person is diagnosed with a serious life-threatening illness but chooses not to take any treatment, knowing it will be fatal without any, except pain relief to help die without intolerable discomfort? Would that constitute suicide?
From an atheist

suicide noun
sui·​cide | \ ˈsü-ə-ˌsīd
Definition
1a : the act or an instance of taking one's own life voluntarily and intentionally
source:Merriam-Webster

Was it voluntarily and intentionally? If Yes, then it's suicide. If No, then probably not.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #3

Post by Rose2020 »

If that is the definition of suicide then agreed.
I suppose it is a matter of are we to do everything possible to preserve our own life? If we knowingly refuse effective treatment, is it suicide?
Do atheists believe suicide itself is wrong, if so, why? Who do they think will judge them,? I presume the only ones atheists answer to is themselves. But I perhaps digress.

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

Rose2020 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:26 am If that is the definition of suicide then agreed.
I suppose it is a matter of are we to do everything possible to preserve our own life? If we knowingly refuse effective treatment, is it suicide?
If our intent is to end our life and we know that will happen if we refuse effective treatment then under the definition I gave we would be committing suicide.

Do atheists believe suicide itself is wrong, if so, why?
In as much as atheism only speaks to a lack of belief in the existence of god(s) I don't see why the specification matters, but as a personal view, I don't necessarily see it as wrong at all. Where it arises out of a lack of emotional or psychological control (one is driven to suicide by a lack of coming to terms with one's problems) I believe it's a very poor, and potentially even harmful solution. However, in the case of incurable suffering I believe it can not only right but merciful.

Who do they think will judge them,?
Likely those who enjoy passing judgement on others.

Tcg
Savant

Post #5

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:18 am
You make the mistake of thinking that if one is not a Christian, they are an atheist. There are plenty of theists who aren't Christians.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #6

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Tcg in post #5]

Ah, you are correct. I had not really considered that point. However, surely every religion considers suicide as wrong?

Tcg
Savant

Post #7

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:09 am [Replying to Tcg in post #5]

Ah, you are correct. I had not really considered that point. However, surely every religion considers suicide as wrong?
Have you examined every religion? If not, how could you know this? If so, what difference does the opinion of religion make?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by Purple Knight »

Rose2020 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:26 am Do atheists believe suicide itself is wrong, if so, why?
I, for one, do not think suicide is wrong. Your life belongs to you alone.

There are instances where someone might say suicide is selfish. But in those instances I would question the people demanding someone stay alive who does not want to, about being selfish themselves. Only in extreme instances would I agree suicide is selfish, such as a mother choosing to get pregnant, then deciding once she has six kids depending on her that she's sick of life.

I also don't think refusing medical treatment counts as suicide. Suicide is a positive action, not a negative one. There are actions which we all take every day which shorten our lives.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by Difflugia »

Purple Knight wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:23 pmI also don't think refusing medical treatment counts as suicide.
If a parent refuses a blood transfusion for a child and the child dies as a result, is that a homicide? If a person refuses food until starvation, is that suicide? If a parent refuses a child food, is that a homicide? How proximate does the cause have to be?
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by Purple Knight »

Difflugia wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:14 am
Purple Knight wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:23 pmI also don't think refusing medical treatment counts as suicide.
If a parent refuses a blood transfusion for a child and the child dies as a result, is that a homicide?
Arguably. I have no problem considering it that way on one condition.

Let's say the parent does not want the blood transfusion and the doctor insists it is necessary. Then let's say the parent is bullied into a treatment that they did not think was best. If the child dies as a result of what the doctor said was best, then that is homicide on the plate of the doctor.

If there should be some special immunity for doctors, so that what they insist upon is not homicide if they happen to be wrong and their choice kills the patient, then that same concept should equally apply to the parent, who might have less medical expertise, but has at the same time, a much greater interest in the child. If the doctor kills someone on purpose, he loses money (does he even?). If the parent does it to their child, they lose the future of their genes.
Difflugia wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:14 amIf a person refuses food until starvation, is that suicide? If a parent refuses a child food, is that a homicide? How proximate does the cause have to be?
Well, are they trying to die?

If we're saying I'm God and for some reason I don't want people to suicide, I can very well punish them for trying to die regardless of how well they cover their butt. But I'm sadly not God and I don't really care, so to me it's solely about the use of language. And that has to take into account that we don't know people's intentions.

Imagine a parent sent a child to bed without dinner once. And the child died. Arguably it's neglect but it's not murder. Fifty times and the intent becomes more obvious. But the relevant question seems to be whether someone could reasonably do that act innocently. And I do see a case where some woman on the street chooses to eat that last piece of bread herself rather than give it to her kid. It's selfish but it's not murder. You can say a parent has a special obligation to their child and I won't disagree, but I don't think failing to perform an obligation is the same thing as shooting someone in the head.