Impracticality of resurrection

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

Impracticality of resurrection

Post #1

Post by Willum »

That a man, or men were brought back from the dead is often trivialized, by saying “God can do anything.“

Resurrection, is practically, very difficult. It would be easier to blacken 1000 stars, have a married bachelor, create a triangle with angles whose sum exceeds 180, and so on, than it would be to resurrect a body three days dead.

I find the statement, “God can do anything,” intellectually lazy, and as a justification, poor, one any eight-year-old could come up with, and write it in a book.

Further, for all of its impossibility, it is not a very effective way to tell the truth. A reasonable man, even several reasonable eyewitnesses and several accounts of such an event, would explain it more reasonably as a large scale deception or magicians trick.

Certainly an omniscience deity could trivially discover a better way.

The topic for debate is twofold, why would an omniscient God use such an ineffective method for communicating the truth, and why, would any reasonable person to believe this method?
Last edited by Willum on Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

oldbadger
Guru

Re: Impracticality of resurrection

Post #91

Post by oldbadger »

We_Are_VENOM wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:16 am
If God caused an atom bomb to come down from heaven and strike an "Atheists United" convention...I would consider that a "message from heaven".

That's just me, though.
Well......... yeah..... If you figured out that 'God' sent it and it came from 'Heaven' then I guess you might figure out that it was a 'message from heaven'. The problem would arise if the roof of a Cathedral would fall in and crushes all the followers in attendance. Actually I think that's happened before, hasn't bit?

Me? I would start wondering which crazed World leader had pushed the button.

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #92

Post by Athetotheist »

[Replying to We_Are_VENOM in post #90
If God caused an atom bomb to come down from heaven and strike an "Atheists United" convention...I would consider that a "message from heaven".
I guess atheists can count themselves fortunate that God, in Her wisdom, doesn't indulge your vindictive fantasies.

Tcg
Savant

Post #93

Post by Tcg »

We_Are_VENOM wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:16 am

That's just me, though.
If an atom bomb came down from heaven, it would have zero effect on the "Atheists United" convention just as all imaginary devices have no impact on reality.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #94

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Indeed. Venom's fantasies about God striking collective atheism down will have to remain his private fantasy.

Willum
Savant

Post #95

Post by Willum »

[Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #94]

Indeed, why do you think he hates atheists and their god, evolution?

Lol.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Post #96

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

Athetotheist wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:12 am I guess atheists can count themselves fortunate that God, in Her wisdom, doesn't indulge your vindictive fantasies.
I take it you've never read the latter part of the book of Revelations.
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Post #97

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

oldbadger wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:52 am Well......... yeah..... If you figured out that 'God' sent it and it came from 'Heaven' then I guess you might figure out that it was a 'message from heaven'. The problem would arise if the roof of a Cathedral would fall in and crushes all the followers in attendance. Actually I think that's happened before, hasn't bit?

Me? I would start wondering which crazed World leader had pushed the button.
That was funny lol.

Oldbadger, you are a cool dude :cool:

Actually, I am reminded of when those racists @$$#0\£$ bombed that church in Birmingham 1963, where four little black girls were killed.

See, when stuff like that happens, God is saddened, hurt.

But the sadness turns to anger, and when God is angry at you, I bet your own shadow will walk across the street from you.

Consider this epic scene in the animated Prince of Egypt movie.

Moses returns to Egypt and passively confronts Pharaoh Ramesses to let his people go...and during the exchange, Moses returned to Ramesses the ring that he gave him years ago.

When it dawned on Ramesses that Moses returned only to free the Israelites, and in addition returned to him the ring that he had given Moses, Ramesses looked very hurt/saddened.

But the hurt turned to ANGER (1:14-1:48), WATCH THE SCENE.

That is how God is.

Sorry for going off on a tangent, but I said that to say this; i cant speak for other religions but according to Christianity, JUSTICE IS COMING.

Just because something doesn't get dealt with now, doesn't mean it wont get dealt with.

In the hood, people get killed today based on stuff that they did 5 years ago.

Even in the Bible, Absalom avenged his sisters rape a couple years after the fact.

Tangent over.
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Post #98

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

oldbadger wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:09 am I loved that..... your ankle sprain took two days before you could put weight on it = this helps your proposal that Jesus could not have been got clear away.

Luv it!
Reading comprehension.

It helps my proposal that, based on what Jesus went through, he could not have appeared as good as new to his audiences some 2-3 days later, you know, as the narratives said he did.
oldbadger wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:09 am No.
Pilate didn't want Jesus to die, and his wife certainly didn't.
Point?
oldbadger wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:09 am Josephus was allowed or asked to get Jesus down and away.
Joseph*
oldbadger wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:09 am A low spear thrust cleared a lung of fluids and blood (as seen in an A&E on telly!)
Point?
oldbadger wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:09 am And from Friday evening until Sunday morning there were no witnesses.(1.5 days)
By the way........... where did you get three days from? Can you show that much time in detail? No?
Have you ever heard of this thing called "The Gospels"?
oldbadger wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:09 am All his mates and thousands of others claimed to have seen him afterwards.
What would be the reason why thousands of people would believe that they saw something?
oldbadger wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:09 am Resurrection? If you have faith then you have faith but I'm not buying! :D
You sound like these guys...

John 6:60, 66

"On hearing it, many of his disciples said, "This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?"

"From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him."

Don't be like those guys.

Lets talk more about it.
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #99

Post by Athetotheist »

We_Are_VENOM wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:50 pm
Athetotheist wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:12 am I guess atheists can count themselves fortunate that God, in Her wisdom, doesn't indulge your vindictive fantasies.
Have you ever read anything else?

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Post #100

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

Athetotheist wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:48 pm
We_Are_VENOM wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:50 pm
Have you ever read anything else?
Have I read anything else besides the Book of Revelations?

Sure, I've also read Genesis-Jude.
Venni Vetti Vecci!!