Easter Traditions?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tcg
Savant

Easter Traditions?

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

Are there any Easter Traditions that are related specifically to Jesus' resurrection? The Easter eggs hunts, bunnies and pastel-colored candies seem to be a celebration of spring. Certainly, sermons will be preached on Jesus' resurrection, but are there any Easter Traditions that Christians practice with their families that are focused on Jesus?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Easter Traditions?

Post #111

Post by JehovahsWitness »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:24 am
Goat wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:29 pm

... if every one of them were corrupt, something that is highly unlikely,
Emphasis MINE

Well, I am sure the rich and powerful are pleased to know us "little folk" believe it is, to quote you "highly unlikely" that they would all be corrupt. Any good conspiracy theorist however knows what rises to the top if the system is indemically corrupt. The overwhelming testimony of human history dictates that the higher the level, the more money involved, the more corruption you will inevitably find.

The few good men ( and yes there are inevitiably some, I didnt say otherwise..) or those that are as yet untainted are either overpowered (as in the trial of Jesus) or voluntarily vote against their conscience faced with superior sources as a survival mechanism. Nazi GERMANY did not happen because every one of their leaders were corrupt, but because those that were, commandeered the system

Sadly religion has not proved to be the exception to the rule.
Goat wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:47 am
And, I don't see how any of this posting of huge pictures supports your claim nor refutes mine.
The pictures are historical testimony that you basic premise that corrupt religious leaders isnt a thing, is fundamentally and demonstratively flawed.
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #112

Post by Goat »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:55 am

Emphasis MINE

Well, I am sure the rich and powerful are pleased to know us "little folk" believe it is, to quote you "highly unlikely" that they would all be corrupt. Any good conspiracy theorist however knows what rises to the top if the system is indemically corrupt. The overwhelming testimony of human history dictates that the higher the level, the more money involved, the more corruption you will inevitably find.

The few good men ( and yes there are inevitiably some, I didnt say otherwise..) or those that are as yet untainted are either overpowered (as in the trial of Jesus) or voluntarily vote against their conscience faced with superior sources as a survival mechanism. Nazi GERMANY did not happen because every one of their leaders were corrupt, but because those that were commandeer the system

And, I don't see how any of this posting of huge pictures supports your claim nor refutes mine.
The pictures are historical testimony that you basic premise that corrupt religious leaders isnt a thing, is fundamentally and demonstratively flawed.
SHrug. That still does not refute my points, nor does it support yours.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #113

Goat wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:57 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:55 am

Emphasis MINE

The few good men ( and yes there are inevitiably some, I didnt say otherwise..) or those that are as yet untainted are either overpowered (as in the trial of Jesus) or voluntarily vote against their conscience faced with superior sources as a survival mechanism. Nazi GERMANY did not happen because every one of their leaders were corrupt, but because those that were commandeer the system

SHrug. ...
IS RELIGIOUS CORRUPTION AT THE HIGHEST LEVEL "HIGHLY UNLIKELY"?

If the above is what I represented to support my point that it is not highly unlikely that a religious court subvert the course of justice and your counterargument to the above is ... "shrug" I am happy that that point at least has been adequately addressed.

I will return to address other details of the trial of Jesus below ...

JW

To learn more please go to other posts related to ...

THE PASSOVER, THE MOSAIC LAW COVENANT and ... SABBATH KEEPING
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #114

Goat wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:20 pm... criminal trails would be forbidden during the high holidays, and on the Sabbath. That gives the whole trial of Jesus claim to be very suspect.
The “holy conventions” were scheduled as follows: (1) Every Sabbath (Le 23:3); (2) the first and seventh days of the Festival of Unfermented Cakes during Nisan, the first month (March-April) (Nu 28:18, 25; Le 23:6-8); (3) the Festival of Weeks or Festival of Harvest, later known as Pentecost, held in the third month, Sivan (May-June) (Le 23:15-21); (4) the first and tenth days of the seventh month, Ethanim or Tishri (September-October), the latter day being the Day of Atonement (Le 23:23-27; Nu 29:1, 7); (5) the first day of the Festival of Booths, which began on the 15th day of the seventh month, Ethanim or Tishri, also the day after that seven-day festival.​—Le 23:33-36.

Source: Insight on the Scriptures Vol I p. 593

WAS JESUS TRIED ON A SABBATH ?

The trial(s) of Jesus did not take place on a Sabbath; but on the day before.

WAS JESUS TRIED ON A HOLY CONVENTION ?

No, the "Holy Coventions" refered to the TEMPLE BASED national Holy days/festivals (see above). Jesus was tried the day before (John's "preparation day") a holy convention ("The festival of unleaven bread") which also happened to fall on a weekly Sabbath.

So although the trial of Jesus broke NUMEROUS laws and traditions, holding a trial on during a National (Temple based) Holy Day /Sabbath, was not one of them.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #115

Post by Goat »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:14 am
Goat wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:20 pm... criminal trails would be forbidden during the high holidays, and on the Sabbath. That gives the whole trial of Jesus claim to be very suspect.
The “holy conventions” were scheduled as follows: (1) Every Sabbath (Le 23:3); (2) the first and seventh days of the Festival of Unfermented Cakes during Nisan, the first month (March-April) (Nu 28:18, 25; Le 23:6-8); (3) the Festival of Weeks or Festival of Harvest, later known as Pentecost, held in the third month, Sivan (May-June) (Le 23:15-21); (4) the first and tenth days of the seventh month, Ethanim or Tishri (September-October), the latter day being the Day of Atonement (Le 23:23-27; Nu 29:1, 7); (5) the first day of the Festival of Booths, which began on the 15th day of the seventh month, Ethanim or Tishri, also the day after that seven-day festival.​—Le 23:33-36.

Source: Insight on the Scriptures Vol I p. 593

WAS JESUS TRIED ON A SABBATH ?

The trial(s) of Jesus did not take place on a Sabbath; but on the day before.

WAS JESUS TRIED ON A HOLY CONVENTION ?

No, the "Holy Coventions" refered to the TEMPLE BASED national Holy days/festivals (see above). Jesus was tried the day before (John's "preparation day") a holy convention ("The festival of unleaven bread") which also happened to fall on a weekly Sabbath.

So although the trial of Jesus broke NUMEROUS laws and traditions, holding a trial on during a National (Temple based) Holy Day /Sabbath, was not one of them.
Well, that attempt to reconcile it does not really make for good reading of the gospels. Nor, does it address that the alleged last supper of Jesus was supposed to be on the first day of passover, which would have made the trial of Jesus fall on passover, which is even worse a violation of the law than it being the sabbath. . Btw, the attempt by the watchtower to dismiss the trial also being on the sabbath is pretty poor.

You have not made any valid argument that the trial even happened, due to the violations of tradition and law. That doesn't even start to address the idea that the Roman Soldiers would be arresting people on behalf of the Sanhedrin, and then executing them on their behalf. Nope. Just wouldn't happen.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #116

Goat wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:53 am... the alleged last supper of Jesus was supposed to be on the first day of passover, which would have made the trial of Jesus fall on passover ...
The Passover meal (sedar) was not considered a "Holy Convention " ; the people did not gather at the TEMPLE, but in families and small groups for a religious tradition. While it was part of the "Passover Season" and sometomes colloqually referred to as "the first day of the Passover [ festival] " it was not considered a Sabbath.

When was "the first day of the Passover festival"?
viewtopic.php?p=1082286#p1082286

Goat wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:53 am...the trial of Jesus fall on passover, which is even worse a violation of the law than it being the sabbath.
Scripture please.
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #117

Post by TRANSPONDER »

I don't know whether the trial would be ritually ok or not. If it was the day of preparation, they could presumably work, and if it was after the passover was eaten and the day before the sabbath, it could have been ok. After all when people refrain from work, ritually, is the day the priests work.

i have bigger problems with the Trial than whether the Priests were ritually forbidden from doing it

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #118

Goat wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:45 pm...show that 70 religious Jews who are the pillars of the community would publicly violate their religion to run a kangaroo court. ...
Emphasis MINE

PUBLICALLY being the operative Word. As explained the Passover of Nisan 14 was not a Sabbath but a private family religious memorial meal. That said, it is correct to say it is unlikely that the Sanhedren would allow themselves to be seen to PUBLICALLY to break Jewish law and according to the narrative, they did not ...
1. Jesus was arrested (illegally without charge) at night away from the crowds.

2. He was taken alone, without witnesses to an unofficial interrogation at the private residence of Annas (illegal on so many levels)

3. The night trial was held outside of the official court hours unknown to the general public.

4. He was returned the following morning for what publically appeared to be a legal court hearing in daylight hours (did the general public know this was merely "rubber-stamping" a man already condemned during illegal proceedings?)

5.Since they had already decided they wanted him executed, they conveniently changed the night charges for which he had been illegally condemned in secret to the public charge of sedition and incitement to not paying of Roman taxes

6. They handed him over to the Roman authorities (illegal under Jewish law) and manipulate Pilate to do their dirty work for them.
Thus the narrative has the Senhedren, rotten to the core, put on a royal show of piety, breaking a record number of their own laws, but coming off smelling of roses instead of that which helps roses grow.
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #119

Post by TRANSPONDER »

That doesn't seem to be what the Bible says. The Chief priests and elders had egged the crowd on to condemn Jesus and release Barrabbas. All the people, Matthew says. This is shown as a very public affair. Mark also had the crowd coming to ask Pilate to release one prisoner (a custom that historically has not been shown to have existed).Luke says it was Chief priests, the Rulers and the people. John more implies that it was the Priests and the 'officers'. But that turns into his habitual crowd of 'Jews'.

I doubt that it washes for you to claim that this was all kept secret so that it wouldn't be known that the Sanhedrin were breaking the rules. I'm not going to ask you where in the Bible it says all those rules were being broken, but it seems that the Sanhedrin was convened at daybreak which I gather is correct, and the previous questioning is another thing entirely.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #120

Post by Goat »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:36 am
Goat wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:53 am... the alleged last supper of Jesus was supposed to be on the first day of passover, which would have made the trial of Jesus fall on passover ...
The Passover meal (sedar) was not considered a "Holy Convention " ; the people did not gather at the TEMPLE, but in families and small groups for a religious tradition. While it was part of the "Passover Season" and sometomes colloqually referred to as "the first day of the Passover [ festival] " it was not considered a Sabbath.

Goat wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:53 am...the trial of Jesus fall on passover, which is even worse a violation of the law than it being the sabbath.
Scripture please.
The Mishnah requires a capital trial to be held in the daytime (Sanhedrin 4:1). It cannot be held on a Sabbath or feast day (Sanhedrin 4:1). No guilty verdict can be issued on the same day as a trial (Sanhedrin 4:1). Trials should begin with witnesses for the accused (Sanhedrin 4:1). Blasphemy requires use of the divine name (Sanhedrin 7:5). And a trial should not be held in the high priest’s house (Sanhedrin 11:2).

Steven Novella