Change in abortion laws in United States

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Rose2020
Scholar

Change in abortion laws in United States

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

It is a huge ruling. It all depends upon when life is regarded as beginning and whose life is more important, mother or child. Abortion is killing, no doubt about it, whether early or late. I wouldn't think any woman would take the step without thought and anguish? Also it is a terrible thing for doctors and nurses to do.
I am fortunate never to have been in this situation myself. Yet I have friends, women who have been raped - who went on to have their child and had the baby adopted. I do not know anyone who had an abortion. I suppose they are less likely to tell anyone.

So is this legal ruling right or wrong?

Miles
Savant

Re: Change in abortion laws in United States

Post #2

Post by Miles »

Wrong. As it stands "red" states have been given the power to declare zygotes, morulas, and blastocyts as human beings, and therefore protected from abortion, which they could well decide to do.

Do you consider a zygote

......... Image

to be a human being?............. My bet is that you do.

Wootah
Savant

Post #3

Post by Wootah »

I don't consider most of the people I see on the street human beings. Deep down, honest people would admit the same and yet killing them is wrong for some reason. The popularity of zombie movies in the last few years is partly from our existential desire to have a valid reason to get rid of most of them. If only they were zombies, so the fantasy goes, then I could happily kill them all.

Every reasonable person that wants to produce a human knows that the zygote inside the mother is a human. Everyone that doesn't want the human calls it a zygote. This is dehumanising.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #4

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Wootah in post #3]

I think you are very brave and correct actually. We humans are the most appallingly aggressive of living beings on the earth. Our capacity for evil is endless. Look at the things we do? Anyone pretending otherwise is kidding themselves. Even the most peaceful among us is capable of violence, in certain circumstances.

Yet I believe God loves us. Though we do not deserve it. He sent His Son to us, we killed Him in the most horrifying way possible at the time.

Miles
Savant

Post #5

Post by Miles »

Rose2020 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:17 am [Replying to Wootah in post #3]

I think you are very brave and correct actually. We humans are the most appallingly aggressive of living beings on the earth. Our capacity for evil is endless.
And no wonder:

...................... Image

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #6

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Miles in post #5]

Our capacity for evil, not God's.God is love and we choose Him or the Devil to follow.

Tcg
Savant

Post #7

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:49 am [Replying to Miles in post #5]

Our capacity for evil, not God's.God is love and we choose Him or the Devil to follow.
Which God are you talking about? It can't be the one from the Bible. That God practices favoritism. Of course, I'm talking about the God represented in the Bible. There is no reason to conclude either it or the Devil exist.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #8

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Tcg in post #7]

I believe they are real.

Tcg
Savant

Post #9

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:42 am [Replying to Tcg in post #7]

I believe they are real.
Good for you. That doesn't support your claim that God (I assume you mean Biblegod given that you failed to clarify) is love. If the Bible represents the God you believe in, it is not love.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #10

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Tcg in post #9]

God is our all powerful creator and I consider my part is to obey and pray. Not question His actions.
We are each free to accept God or not.