What I Expect In Heaven

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

WebersHome
Guru

What I Expect In Heaven

Post #1

Post by WebersHome »

Personally I have no interest in the celestial element of the kingdom of Heaven. To me, it's a foreign country. I want to stay right here on earth during Messiah's 1,000 year administration and visit all the places to which I have never gone, do all the things I've never done, and see all the things I've never seen.

The new cosmos won't be constructed till after Messiah's millennial rein on this corrupt earth is over, and the great white throne event wraps. Which is fine with me 'cause there's a lot left to see and do that I won't get around to in this life. I plan on making very good use of those thousand years to tour ever square inch of this planet-- on land and sea.

Can you just imagine having free rein of this planet with an immortal body and perpetual youth, and no fear of war, violence, poisonous snakes, toxic insects, or wild animals!? I can hardly wait. One of the first things I want to do in Messiah's kingdom is hike the triple crown: the Pacific Coast Trail, The Continental Divide Trail, and the Appalachian Trail. Yeah, Cirque of the Towers here I come!!!

People hike the big trails for a variety of personal reasons. Some march thru like soldiers to get it done and chalked up, while other's take their time and savor every minute of the adventure-- all the sights, sounds, smells, and wild things that they encounter along the way: even the dirt, the dust, the bugs, the hazards, and the discomforts. They are in no hurry to get done because if they hurry, they might miss something.

YouTube adventurer Jennifer Mabus (a.k.a. Starburst) is one of those. She even stopped for a while to watch two small lizards battle out a territorial dispute. Hiker trash passing by thought she was nuts and wasting time; but Jennifer was in Nirvana, so to speak.

Well; that's me. I want the whole nine yards. Charging ahead to the end of one of those wonderful trails is just not my idea of a heavenly good time.

Ps 16:11 . . You will make known to me the path of life; in Your presence is fullness of joy; in Your right hand there are pleasures forever.
_

WebersHome
Guru

Re: What I Expect In Heaven

Post #2

Post by WebersHome »

I expect to be quarantined upon arrival and shuttled off to a sort of Bible gulag where I'll undergo intense indoctrination so that when I'm released into the general population there will be no quarrelling and/or debating.

I also expect to be pushed thru a sort of finishing school where my manners will be corrected to perfection so that I don't go about insulting folks, stepping on their toes, and/or hurting their feelings with thoughtless remarks and toxic rejoinders.

For many of us working stiffs, the first day on a new job is stressful and quite an adjustment. The night before that first day can cause enough anxiety to keep us awake worrying about what we might expect.

I'd imagine that, whether we end up in the right place or the wrong place in the afterlife, we will be just as stressed on our first day there as the first day here on a new job.

The anxiety associated with death is to be expected seeing as how most of us have no experience at all with that particular journey. But I think the majority of my anxiety in regards to death is related to what comes after. Pity there are no guide books available in print to prepare us in advance for the culture-shock tsunami with which we are sure to be slammed.
_

Tcg
Savant

Post #3

Post by Tcg »

WebersHome wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:11 am .
I expect to be quarantined upon arrival and shuttled off to a sort of Bible gulag where I'll undergo intense indoctrination so that when I'm released into the general population there will be no quarrelling and/or debating.

I also expect to be pushed thru a sort of finishing school where my manners will be corrected to perfection so that I don't go about insulting folks, stepping on their toes, and/or hurting their feelings with thoughtless remarks and toxic rejoinders.

For many of us working stiffs, the first day on a new job is stressful and quite an adjustment. The night before that first day can cause enough anxiety to keep us awake worrying about what we might expect.

I'd imagine that, whether we end up in the right place or the wrong place in the afterlife, we will be just as stressed on our first day there as the first day here on a new job.

The anxiety associated with death is to be expected seeing as how most of us have no experience at all with that particular journey. But I think the majority of my anxiety in regards to death is related to what comes after. Pity there are no guide books available in print to prepare us in advance for the culture-shock tsunami with which we are sure to be slammed.
_
This isn't a debate sub-forum so I'm certainly not trying to enter into one. On a personal level however, I can't help but wonder what it is that drives your expectations.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

WebersHome
Guru

Post #4

Post by WebersHome »

Tcg wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:16 am
I can't help but wonder what it is that drives your expectations.
They're probably just the product of an overactive imagination combined with wishful thinking.
_

WebersHome
Guru

Post #5

Post by WebersHome »

I would really like to visit Heaven's library where everything that's known and can be known about the cosmos is stored. Carl Sagan would've loved that library because he went to his grave with a lot of unanswered questions. But now they'll never be answered because Carl was, at best, an agnostic, and at worst, an atheist.
_

Tcg
Savant

Post #6

Post by Tcg »

WebersHome wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:47 am .
I would really like to visit Heaven's library where everything that's known and can be known about the cosmos is stored. Carl Sagan would've loved that library because he went to his grave with a lot of unanswered questions. But now they'll never be answered because Carl was, at best, an agnostic, and at worst, an atheist.
_
What do you consider an atheist to be? What do you consider an agnostic to be? Why do you consider one worse than the other and why do you consider either bad?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

WebersHome
Guru

Post #7

Post by WebersHome »

According to Matt 26:29, Luke 22:15-16, and Luke 22:28-30 Jesus' followers will be capable of dining upon ordinary foods and beverages.

I look forward to that because at my current age of 78, I've lost much of my senses of smell and taste. With the new youthful body promised to his followers, my favorites will be a lot more savory than now.
_

WebersHome
Guru

Post #8

Post by WebersHome »

The supernatural circumcision spoken of by Colossians 2:11 makes it possible for a sinner to enter Heaven completely free of human nature, i.e. 100% sinless.

I wish the nuns had told me that in catechism as it would've spared me many years of anxiety relative to endless suffering in eternal flames.
_

Diogenes
Guru

Post #9

Post by Diogenes »

There are adults who still believe in Heaven? :shock: I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I think I'll laugh.

This is what happens when you die: Nothing. Death is like falling into a dreamless sleep. You won't miss heaven because you'll have no consciousness to know what you're missing. We know for certain that consciousness arises from the 100 billion or so neurons in the brain and their 100 trillion connections. When you die, the lights go out. There is no more electricity to power the synapses, the connections between neurons.
Then the lifeless brain, deprived of oxygen, turns to mush.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... nnections/

The notion of a 'soul' was invented long before we knew how the brain worked. Heaven was invented because the idea of not being was intolerable for many. Also, the nuns and others needed a bigger stick than mere physical paddles, so eternal punishment and reward gave them leverage.

We live, we die. It's permanent. Get over it. :)

Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves

— Confucius

WebersHome
Guru

Post #10

Post by WebersHome »

I started out in life with really good eyesight. The stars appeared as little pin pricks of bright light, reading fine print was a piece of cake, and I could almost see in the dark like a cat. That all began to wane right around the age of 31 as astigmatism took hold.

Well; the astigmatism was an easy fix with glasses but then when I got older, cataracts crept up on me and driving my car became very hazardous 'cause my vision was like looking thru a very dirty, foggy window. I couldn't read street signs in time to make a safe turn nor could I accurately judge the distance between mine and oncoming cars nor tell how fast they were approaching. So left turns became an adventure, to say the least.

These days cataracts and astigmatism are relatively easy to correct (if you can afford it) but I am looking forward to that day in Messiah's kingdom when my sight will be just as good or better as what I had as a youngster.

Isa 35:5 . .Then the eyes of the blind shall be opened
_