Explain please

Dedicated to the scholarly study of the bible as text and the discussion thereof

Moderator: Moderators

Rose2020
Scholar

Explain please

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

In Matthew Chapter 12 verses 43 to 45 what does Jesus mean? Does it mean an evil spirit will always return?

MrPPT

Re: Explain please

Post #2

Post by MrPPT »

Yes you are correct, the evil spirit will return - but you cannot say "always".

The reason you cannot say "always" is because it is probably a low level evil spirit which is sent on assignments. If it is a low level spirit on an assignment, then it is probably subordinate to a higher level spirit and takes orders to be executed. Think of the kingdom of darkness as a high functioning evil business; within every business there is a CEO, CFO, COO etc all the way down to a floor person.

The floor person answers to his manager, the manager answers to another manager etc etc all the way up the chain of command.

This is the same structure for the evil spirit; it answers to its own manager, and then this manager answers to another manager etc etc, all the way up the chain of command.

Then you have to realise the low level spirit "takes with it seven other spirits more wicked than itself"
"Seven other spirits more wicked than itself" gives me two trains of thought. They are more wicked than the first because they are "MORE DEBASE" meaning they fell further from their heavenly glory, OR;
They are more wicked because in their heavenly glory they were more powerful and therefore more power was corrupted. - I am leaning towards the premise; more power was corrupted. But you will need the guidance of the Holy Spirit to clearly define which answer to trust in and especially "WHY".

I hope this helps your training.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #3

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to MrPPT in post #2]

I find that very helpful, thankyou.

jd01
Student

Post #4

Post by jd01 »

There is no parallel verse in Mark, correct?
jd
Author of Salt & Light; The Complete Jesus www.saltandlight.ca