Book of Mormon

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Book of Mormon

Post #1

Post by Furrowed Brow »

Recently saw the Book of Mormon in London (expensive tickets....ouch!). It received a very warm standing ovation and I really enjoyed it. (Maybe not £160 enjoyed it but enjoy it I did).

But is the Book of Mormon picking on easy targets? Is there a more restrained and politely civil religion than Mormonism. But not all are so nice to their detractors.

Is the New Testament too hot to mock? I don't think the Life of Brian mocked the NT, or if it did, not in the full on way the BoT gets its teeth into the BoT. If the Book of Mormon had been the Book of the NT would it have even been allowed to open? Would there be a backlash if it had?

Clearly in present times the Qur'an is too hot unless the writers wanted to spend the rest of their life in hiding with a body guard. True the writers of South Park did put Mohammad in a bear suit, but that is about as far as they dare push it. (Drawing a bear and saying Mohammed was inside it). Can we dream of a day when irreverence breaks out in Islam and Mohammad can come out the bear suit?

Or for the time being are we - of an irreverent nature - going to restrict our mockery to the oh so polite religions and turn a little pale in the face of the more forceful religions.

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Re: Book of Mormon

Post #31

Post by The Nice Centurion »

As far as I know BoMM (Book of Mormon Musical) was well received, even appraised by mormons - and why shouldnt that be so?

Mormonism is therein shown as rather fakish, but still it goes rather easy with Mormons - And why shouldnt it?

The humour is high enough to be humoured even by the target and if not mormons know that a good loser wins the day.

Yet "Life of Brian" was another thing, Back then in the seventies this went as hard as possible to make fun of christians and christianity. They had to put up the obvious lie that it was made to make fun of the romans (When follows the movie that makes fun of Sumer?), and not of christians.

There is even an OT movie copycat of this about an ancient Moses double. Movies name is "Oh Moses".

Before all this Oscar Wilde wrote "Salome" for the stage, which also is not very respectful for christianity.
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again.”

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon!"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"

help3434
Guru

Re:

Post #32

Post by help3434 »

bjs wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:36 am They find humor in the accounts within the book and the origin of the book.
The origin for sure, who can forget Martin Harris being so Dum Dum Dum Dum and losing the 116 pages? But what content in the book that we can actually read today have they made fun of. Strange as it may sound, most of the more "out there" doctrines and practices of the religion aren't actually in Th Book of Mormon.

help3434
Guru

Post #33

Post by help3434 »

The Nice Centurion wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:20 am As far as I know BoMM (Book of Mormon Musical) was well received, even appraised by mormons - and why shouldnt that be so?

Mormonism is therein shown as rather fakish, but still it goes rather easy with Mormons - And why shouldnt it?

The humour is high enough to be humoured even by the target and if not mormons know that a good loser wins the day.

Yet "Life of Brian" was another thing, Back then in the seventies this went as hard as possible to make fun of christians and christianity. They had to put up the obvious lie that it was made to make fun of the romans (When follows the movie that makes fun of Sumer?), and not of christians.
I disagree, The Life of Brian was a sharp satire of certain kinds of religious followers and zealots of all stripes, but as far as i can tell there is not even a hint from the movie that Christianity itself and the teachings of Jesus are not true. That is very different from the message the Book of Mormon musical has about the LDS religion.

LittleNipper
Scholar

Post #34

Post by LittleNipper »

I believe the Book of Mormon mocks the Bible and is Satan's attempt at cheapening the validity of inspired scripture...

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #35

Post by boatsnguitars »

LittleNipper wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:27 pm I believe the Book of Mormon mocks the Bible and is Satan's attempt at cheapening the validity of inspired scripture...
But, to be fair, you believe a lot of things that shouldn't be taken seriously, wouldn't you agree?
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

LittleNipper
Scholar

Post #36

Post by LittleNipper »

boatsnguitars wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:09 am
LittleNipper wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:27 pm I believe the Book of Mormon mocks the Bible and is Satan's attempt at cheapening the validity of inspired scripture...
But, to be fair, you believe a lot of things that shouldn't be taken seriously, wouldn't you agree?
Well, yes ---- I once believed that Nixon would make a fine President. I'm only human..

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #37

Post by boatsnguitars »

LittleNipper wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:52 am
Well, yes ---- I once believed that Nixon would make a fine President. I'm only human..
Seems it didn't end there, though, did it? For example, don't you believe in a dying and rising savior?
― Omar Khayyâm

LittleNipper
Scholar

Post #38

Post by LittleNipper »

boatsnguitars wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:47 pm
Seems it didn't end there, though, did it? For example, don't you believe in a dying and rising savior?
I believe Jesus is GOD who took on flesh and came to pay the penalty for sins of all who will believe on HIM. Don't you believe you will die some day? soon?

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #39

Post by boatsnguitars »

LittleNipper wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:35 pm
I believe Jesus is GOD who took on flesh and came to pay the penalty for sins of all who will believe on HIM. Don't you believe you will die some day? soon?
What does the first sentence have to do with the second? Are you not a little aware that you are spouting religious dogma, and that you have no evidence for any of it being true?

As for death. Yes, it comes to all living things - even you. Choose wisely how you want to spend this one life before you slip into the Long Dark.
― Omar Khayyâm

LittleNipper
Scholar

Post #40

Post by LittleNipper »

boatsnguitars wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:13 am
LittleNipper wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:35 pm
What does the first sentence have to do with the second? Are you not a little aware that you are spouting religious dogma, and that you have no evidence for any of it being true?

As for death. Yes, it comes to all living things - even you. Choose wisely how you want to spend this one life before you slip into the Long Dark.
I have a SAVIOR, and you seem to have an excuse ---- that there is no life after death. Choose wisely...