You don't have to win the debate

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

amortalman
Site Supporter

You don't have to win the debate

Post #1

Post by amortalman »

I think many debaters here think they have to win the debate at all costs. That it is somehow shameful or demeaning to lose. I used to feel that way. I simply would not admit that my opponent had the more logical position. Losing a recent debate got me thinking. Do I have any reasons for debating other than the sport of it? Do I hang on stubbornly knowing I have the losing position? Do I create rabbit trails to try to lure my opponent in just to keep from giving up, hoping I can come away with at least one minor victory? Do I labor to save face and to stroke my ego? Fear is usually the cause of such thoughts.

After mulling these and other questions over for a while I've come up with my own philosophy on debating. Instead of the mindset of trying to win at all costs because I'm afraid to lose, I've decided to follow a different purpose. From now on I will debate for the primary purpose of learning and growing as a person and as a debater. And when my opponent convincingly refutes my arguments I will gracefully concede the debate publicly. He deserves the win and it should be acknowledged. This is what I did in a recent debate and instead of feeling like a loser I felt like a winner.

Does this mean I won't try as hard as I can to win the debate? Certainly not! If anything, I'll try harder. I'll do my best to find legitimate holes in his arguments and expose faulty evidence and logic. I will want to make it as hard as I can for him to best my position. This is the only way I and my opponent can truly learn something from the debate to either strengthen, modify, or abandon our position for a better one. I think this method is a win-win. Of course, I'm open to feedback.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Re: You don't have to win the debate

Post #2

Post by Purple Knight »

amortalman wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:37 pmInstead of the mindset of trying to win at all costs because I'm afraid to lose, I've decided to follow a different purpose. From now on I will debate for the primary purpose of learning and growing as a person and as a debater.
I do something very similar. I approach every debate from the perspective that I am probably wrong.

This way, if someone has something I don't, I won't miss it or gloss it over. I'm wrong and I'm looking for why. This way, I'll find it. If it's there to be found anyway.