Nothing is certain; everything is permitted

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Seek
Student

Nothing is certain; everything is permitted

Post #1

Post by Seek »

Our knowledge comes from our inherently subjective perception, which has shown to be fallible. There is no truth, merely coincidental attitudes driven by probability. If there is no truth in perception, then there is no right or wrong about anything. Anyone be allowed to steal, slander, hurt, humiliate, insult, bully, swear at or even kill anyone at any time. Basically, anyone is permitted to do anything at any time. Normal people would say ”but Seek, there are laws you have to abide by”, but my response to them is ”How do I know my belief system isn’t flawed in such a way that enables me to do criminal things?”
Last edited by Seek on Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rose2020
Scholar

Re: Nothing is certain; everything is permitted

Post #31

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Tcg in post #30]

With free will comes good and evil. With which we must deal.
How can it be otherwise?

Tcg
Savant

Post #32

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:53 am [Replying to Tcg in post #30]

How can it be otherwise?
A God who allows a child to be raped and murdered is evil or nonexistent. How can it be otherwise?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #33

Post by Inquirer »

Tcg wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:22 am
Rose2020 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:53 am [Replying to Tcg in post #30]

How can it be otherwise?
A God who allows a child to be raped and murdered is evil or nonexistent. How can it be otherwise?
To conclude that God does not exist on the basis that things aren't as you'd like them to be, is not very scientific reasoning.

amortalman
Site Supporter

Post #34

Post by amortalman »

Rose2020 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:53 am [Replying to amortalman in post #28]

That was the deed of an evil criminal. Never the wish of God. That man will be punished, the soul of the child is in heaven and safe now. Those who pray will be given comfort and strength, which is how it has to be. Free will means evil will happen, but God is watching and He will deal with it. Our part is to trust in His judgment not ours.

I recommend please watch a film called 'The Shack'.
Tell that to the parents of the 7-year-girl. This is how theists cover for their "God." And how do you know that "those who pray will be given comfort and strength" since their prayers for the child were thrown back in their faces?

Read the book. More fantasy.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #35

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to amortalman in post #34]

I have faced serious illness of loved ones and their deaths, I was given all the comfort and strength I needed as I prayed. Life and death, evil deeds, bad times will happen. It is not our place to demand from God what we think we want and then declare that He doesn't exist if we do not have our expectations met.

Our part is to ask for help, with humility and contrition and then leave it to God to do things His way. His will, not ours. Even Jesus prayed to be spared the bitter cup on the night of his arrest. Yet His prayer was that it was His Father's will, not His own. Even the Son of God did not demand being spared.

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #36

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Tcg wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:57 am
Rose2020 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:53 am [Replying to amortalman in post #28]

That was the deed of an evil criminal. Never the wish of God.
It is astounding how often those who believe in an almighty God report that a mere human can thwart the wishes of this supposed almighty being. If God actually existed and if this God was actually love and light and whatever other wonderful things could be claimed about it, it would not allow horrible things to happen.

The fact that horrible things happen to innocent humans reveals that either God isn't almighty, or that it isn't loving and light and whatever, or that it doesn't exist. My money is on that this thing called God doesn't exist. It is the most logical explanation for what we see and experience day after day.

Tcg
There is another option you have not mentioned. That is that God values our freedom to make our own mistakes, and suffer the consequences, that we may learn by them.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Non omnes qui errant pereunt
Not all who wander are lost