Debating issues regarding sexuality

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Homosexuality: nature or nurture?

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Hi all

As of 29 July 2022. What does the science say? What do you think?

Homosexuality: nature or nurture?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Difflugia
Prodigy

Re: Homosexuality: nature or nurture?

Post #21

Post by Difflugia »

Jose Fly wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:43 pm
Difflugia wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:16 pmPerhaps we should avoid the kink-shaming. It's popular enough that there are whole genres of multiple media devoted to it.

I saw a movie about it once. I didn't inhale, though. Or whatever.
This isn't about a kink, it's about what I said earlier, "sticking one's nose in people's private lives without their consent"
Yeah, that was meant as a bit of sarcastic snark. I probably shouldn't have deadpanned it.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #22

Post by Jose Fly »

Difflugia wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:59 pm
Jose Fly wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:43 pm
Difflugia wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:16 pmPerhaps we should avoid the kink-shaming. It's popular enough that there are whole genres of multiple media devoted to it.

I saw a movie about it once. I didn't inhale, though. Or whatever.
This isn't about a kink, it's about what I said earlier, "sticking one's nose in people's private lives without their consent"
Yeah, that was meant as a bit of sarcastic snark. I probably shouldn't have deadpanned it.
Phew...you had me worried for a sec! :D
Being apathetic is great....or not. I don't really care.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #23

Post by Purple Knight »

Wootah wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:08 pmHomosexuality: nature or nurture?
I find it hard to believe people would put their penises in... there... unless someone, somehow, suggested it to them. (That's different than not being attracted to females, or being attracted to males. That can obviously be nature. I'm talking about the behaviour.)

But what do I know. I've had a tank of mice doing it (male-male dominance humping) and I can say for certain that I didn't teach them how. What makes this complicated is that it seems that when a male mouse has been dominance-humped, he's far more likely to go out and dominance-hump some other male himself. So it's learned. And it's inherent... Otherwise how would it start up? Even if it is a chain, it started somewhere.

Wootah
Savant

Post #24

Post by Wootah »

Purple Knight wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:01 pm
Wootah wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:08 pmHomosexuality: nature or nurture?
I find it hard to believe people would put their penises in... there... unless someone, somehow, suggested it to them. (That's different than not being attracted to females, or being attracted to males. That can obviously be nature. I'm talking about the behaviour.)

But what do I know. I've had a tank of mice doing it (male-male dominance humping) and I can say for certain that I didn't teach them how. What makes this complicated is that it seems that when a male mouse has been dominance-humped, he's far more likely to go out and dominance-hump some other male himself. So it's learned. And it's inherent... Otherwise how would it start up? Even if it is a chain, it started somewhere.
My understanding of Roman culture is that in the hierarchy they would 'dominance hump' those lower down the ladder. Our belief in what we would and wouldn't do is very cultural.

https://agnituslife.com/sex-roman-style/
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #25

Post by Jose Fly »

Purple Knight wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:01 pm I find it hard to believe people would put their penises in... there... unless someone, somehow, suggested it to them. (That's different than not being attracted to females, or being attracted to males. That can obviously be nature. I'm talking about the behaviour.)
So because you personally can't imagine it, that means it must be learned behavior? That doesn't seem at all logical.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #26

Post by Purple Knight »

Jose Fly wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:21 pm
Purple Knight wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:01 pm I find it hard to believe people would put their penises in... there... unless someone, somehow, suggested it to them. (That's different than not being attracted to females, or being attracted to males. That can obviously be nature. I'm talking about the behaviour.)
So because you personally can't imagine it, that means it must be learned behavior? That doesn't seem at all logical.
Some psychologists (Maslow for example) claim that humans don't have instincts at all, meaning (at least, I take it to mean) that males mating with females and putting their penises in vaginas would also be because someone suggested it to them.

Plus, I did also admit that the claim that it is learned would defy the purely logical necessity that somebody had to be the first to do it.

From the mice I think it's both. Removing the dominance humpers from the tank and allowing the babies to grow up without ever being dominance humped massively reduced, but did not eliminate the behaviour. It would arise again. But this might be because mice do have instincts and might not apply to humans.
Wootah wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:33 pmOur belief in what we would and wouldn't do is very cultural.
Agreed.

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #27

Post by Jose Fly »

Purple Knight wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:05 pm Some psychologists (Maslow for example) claim that humans don't have instincts at all, meaning (at least, I take it to mean) that males mating with females and putting their penises in vaginas would also be because someone suggested it to them.
And I'm sure other psychologists argue differently.
Plus, I did also admit that the claim that it is learned would defy the purely logical necessity that somebody had to be the first to do it.

From the mice I think it's both. Removing the dominance humpers from the tank and allowing the babies to grow up without ever being dominance humped massively reduced, but did not eliminate the behaviour. It would arise again. But this might be because mice do have instincts and might not apply to humans.
Okay.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #28

Post by Purple Knight »

Jose Fly wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:26 pm
Purple Knight wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:05 pm Some psychologists (Maslow for example) claim that humans don't have instincts at all, meaning (at least, I take it to mean) that males mating with females and putting their penises in vaginas would also be because someone suggested it to them.
And I'm sure other psychologists argue differently.
They do. But I think the smell-test is valuable. So let's use yours. I give yours equal weight to mine.

Let's say you have a baby you raise in a box, perhaps a couple of them, males and females. They might develop their own language, since the desire for language seems innate. But will they figure out successful mating, never having seen or heard of it? What do you think?

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #29

Post by Jose Fly »

Purple Knight wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:53 pm Let's say you have a baby you raise in a box, perhaps a couple of them, males and females. They might develop their own language, since the desire for language seems innate. But will they figure out successful mating, never having seen or heard of it? What do you think?
Before we go down that trail, the question that's relevant to this thread is about sexual attraction, not how one actually has sex.

So if the babies are both born heterosexual, both will eventually become sexually aroused by the other. The specific means by which that arousal is expressed is likely learned IMO. But the underlying attraction/arousal is innate.

Wootah
Savant

Post #30

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to Purple Knight in post #23]

Personally, I think people would and do put their penises everywhere. The mating instinct is pretty strong (because it is essential).

However: knowledge is knowing what to say. Wisdom is knowing when to say it.

I think this applies here. Yes we can put our penis anywhere and wisdom is knowing where is correct.