Attire of female athletes

Discussion of anything to do with the 'why' questions of life.

Moderator: William

Rose2020
Scholar

Attire of female athletes

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

The Commonwealth Games are on just now.
I wonder is it really necessary that the female athletes wear such skimpy outfits, the men do not seem to be so revealing. Male viewers everywhere are able to see a lot and it cannot always be good or decent?

I saw a very rare Muslim girl runner and she had legs and head covered - necessary to keep her religion I assume. I respect that.

Also, there has quite rightly been a question raised about how the female footballers are made to wear white shorts. They are uncomfortable about it due to possible menstrual bleeding.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Re: Attire of female athletes

Post #2

Post by Difflugia »

Rose2020 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:32 amI wonder is it really necessary that the female athletes wear such skimpy outfits, the men do not seem to be so revealing.
Some time ago, we had a short conversation about a similar topic. My opinion is that nobody should have to wear anything that they themselves find too revealing or sexualized. Moreover, the dress codes for men and women should overlap to the point that they're essentially indistinguishable, at least by outward appearance.
Rose2020 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:32 amAlso, there has quite rightly been a question raised about how the female footballers are made to wear white shorts. They are uncomfortable about it due to possible menstrual bleeding.
I've bolded the relevant part of that discussion. Anything more is superfluous.
My preferred pronouns are he, him, and his.

Rose2020
Scholar

Re: Attire of female athletes

Post #3

Post by Rose2020 »

Agreed.