Monkey pox

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Rose2020
Scholar
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:54 am
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Monkey pox

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

Are we in any real danger and if so, who from?
This looks horrible and is affecting those who have not travelled. I hope it is not a new nightmare unfolding.

User avatar
Miles
Prodigy
Posts: 3644
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:19 pm
Has thanked: 295 times
Been thanked: 1034 times

Re: Monkey pox

Post #11

Post by Miles »

Rose2020 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:06 am Are we in any real danger and if so, who from?
"Who from"? From God of course. He has chosen to let such diseases exist when he doesn't have to. By a mere snap of his fingers Ebola, West Nile Fever, Malaria, Covid-19, Monkey Pox, etc. could disappear in a sec.. But God has seen fit to allow them to exist and ravage the world.
If you were a loving god wouldn't you prevent such indiscriminate killings, or shouldn't the suffering and death of innocent children and infants matter?

This looks horrible and is affecting those who have not traveled. I hope it is not a new nightmare unfolding.
It sure does, but as some Christians have pointed out, "It's what god wants. Praise be to God for all our diseases"

.

User avatar
Rose2020
Scholar
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:54 am
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: Monkey pox

Post #12

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Inquirer in post #9]

Quite fast I think.

User avatar
Inquirer
Sage
Posts: 589
Joined: Tue May 31, 2022 6:03 pm
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Monkey pox

Post #13

Post by Inquirer »

Miles wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:12 pm
Rose2020 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:06 am Are we in any real danger and if so, who from?
"Who from"? From God of course. He has chosen to let such diseases exist when he doesn't have to. By a mere snap of his fingers Ebola, West Nile Fever, Malaria, Covid-19, Monkey Pox, etc. could disappear in a sec.. But God has seen fit to allow them to exist and ravage the world.
If you were a loving god wouldn't you prevent such indiscriminate killings, or shouldn't the suffering and death of innocent children and infants matter?

This looks horrible and is affecting those who have not traveled. I hope it is not a new nightmare unfolding.
It sure does, but as some Christians have pointed out, "It's what god wants. Praise be to God for all our diseases"

.
This remark suggests that you regard our physical existence as being of paramount importance. God is not concerned with our physical lives, he is not concerned with our physical longevity or material status or well being. This is why many struggle to grasp all this, they can only look at the world through the spectacles of materialism. Time after time Christ spoke of this yet his words are meaningless to most, our fixation on the material is a barrier, we must learn that and learn to see things differently.

Nowhere in the Bible does God promise material blessings, this is a huge misunderstanding, healing and so on is not material, physical healing and was never promised as being physical.

User avatar
Rose2020
Scholar
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:54 am
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: Monkey pox

Post #14

Post by Rose2020 »

God did not promise us a life of ease here on earth. That is why we look forward to heaven.
This is not an easy life but he'll is much worse for those who choose to reject God.
Plenty of Christians endure hardships and never lose faith, such as Paul the Apostle who set us his example. Jesus himself had no home, no riches, he was even born as animals are in a stable. How can we complain when He showed us how to put all trust in our Father and His?

User avatar
Miles
Prodigy
Posts: 3644
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:19 pm
Has thanked: 295 times
Been thanked: 1034 times

Re: Monkey pox

Post #15

Post by Miles »

Inquirer wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:59 pm
Miles wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:12 pm
Rose2020 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:06 am Are we in any real danger and if so, who from?
"Who from"? From God of course. He has chosen to let such diseases exist when he doesn't have to. By a mere snap of his fingers Ebola, West Nile Fever, Malaria, Covid-19, Monkey Pox, etc. could disappear in a sec.. But God has seen fit to allow them to exist and ravage the world.
If you were a loving god wouldn't you prevent such indiscriminate killings, or shouldn't the suffering and death of innocent children and infants matter?

This looks horrible and is affecting those who have not traveled. I hope it is not a new nightmare unfolding.
It sure does, but as some Christians have pointed out, "It's what god wants. Praise be to God for all our diseases"

.
This remark suggests that you regard our physical existence as being of paramount importance.
Not at all, but it does mean God doesn't care about all the suffering these diseases bring on.

God is not concerned with our physical lives, he is not concerned with our physical longevity or material status or well being.
Obviously. In fact, considering all the heartache and suffering diseases entail, God seems to rather delight in it all. Why else would he let it exist? God wants people to suffer with diseases or else he wouldn't let them continue. Right? Of course I am.

This is why many struggle to grasp all this, they can only look at the world through the spectacles of materialism.
Truthfully, I see many of them looking at the world and all its travails through the spectacles of reality. Understanding that no loving god would do such a thing to its creation, yet afraid to admit it lest they bring more hardship and unwarranted consequences upon themselves.

Time after time Christ spoke of this yet his words are meaningless to most,
And why not? Have his words ever lessened the suffering from disease and the evil God brings upon us?

Isaiah 45:7
KJV
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.



our fixation on the material is a barrier, we must learn that and learn to see things differently.
Tell that to

............... Image


Nowhere in the Bible does God promise material blessings, this is a huge misunderstanding, healing and so on is not material, physical healing and was never promised as being physical.
So, just as I thought,

Numbers 6:24-26
The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace.

is pretty much all bunkum. Nice guy, this God of yours. Image


.

User avatar
Tcg
Savant
Posts: 7401
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:01 am
Location: Third Stone
Has thanked: 1501 times
Been thanked: 1670 times

Re: Monkey pox

Post #16

Post by Tcg »

Inquirer wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:59 pm
Nowhere in the Bible does God promise material blessings, this is a huge misunderstanding, healing and so on is not material, physical healing and was never promised as being physical.
The book of Job contradicts this faulty claim:
Job 42:12 The Lord blessed the latter part of Job’s life more than the former part. He had fourteen thousand sheep, six thousand camels, a thousand yoke of oxen and a thousand donkeys.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists


Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc


I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

User avatar
Inquirer
Sage
Posts: 589
Joined: Tue May 31, 2022 6:03 pm
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Monkey pox

Post #17

Post by Inquirer »

Tcg wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:26 pm
Inquirer wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:59 pm
Nowhere in the Bible does God promise material blessings, this is a huge misunderstanding, healing and so on is not material, physical healing and was never promised as being physical.
The book of Job contradicts this faulty claim:
Job 42:12 The Lord blessed the latter part of Job’s life more than the former part. He had fourteen thousand sheep, six thousand camels, a thousand yoke of oxen and a thousand donkeys.

Tcg
Note what I said "Nowhere in the Bible does God promise material blessings" I did not say he never provides material blessings.

User avatar
Rose2020
Scholar
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:54 am
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: Monkey pox

Post #18

Post by Rose2020 »

Job is a wonderful lesson in that a truly faithful man does not lose his trust in God when troubles strike. Trouble strikes us all. Those who hold firm will be rewarded.
I read Job when life gets hard. It teaches me afresh that the worse the trials, the more we must trust God. Otherwise what use is faith at all?

There is no logic or strength in ever blaming God for misfortune, in fact that is the time to pray harder. Only a fool fights and rebels against almighty God.
Nothing any atheist could say will shake my faith.

User avatar
Tcg
Savant
Posts: 7401
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:01 am
Location: Third Stone
Has thanked: 1501 times
Been thanked: 1670 times

Re: Monkey pox

Post #19

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:30 pm Only a fool fights and rebels against almighty God.
Not if that proclaimed "almighty God" is evil. That'd be like saying only fools rebelled against Hitler. No, heroes rebelled against Hitler. Of course, the major difference is that we have evidence that Hitler actually existed. The same can't be said about any god/gods even one claimed to be almighty.


Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists


Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc


I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

User avatar
Rose2020
Scholar
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:54 am
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: Monkey pox

Post #20

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Tcg in post #19]

What evidence would convince you?

Post Reply