Tattoos and piercings

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

Rose2020
Scholar

Tattoos and piercings

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

Excuse me for being rather old and of a previous generation, but i would genuinely like to know what the thinking is behind any woman having a nose ring, entire arms covered with tattoos, hair an unlikely startling shade and suchlike. Do they think these things enhance beauty or is it a tribal thing?

In times gone by, in my youth, it was sailors and soldiers who had tatoos. It represented ultra tough manhood I presume. Now I am amazed at the numerous women, not even only the young, who can be excused as not knowing any better. What are they portraying about themselves?

It is not a new subject of course, yet it is the reasoning behind it that intrigues.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Re: Tattoos and piercings

Post #2

Post by Difflugia »

Rose2020 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:50 amExcuse me for being rather old and of a previous generation, but i would genuinely like to know what the thinking is behind any woman having a nose ring, entire arms covered with tattoos, hair an unlikely startling shade and suchlike. Do they think these things enhance beauty or is it a tribal thing?

In times gone by, in my youth, it was sailors and soldiers who had tatoos. It represented ultra tough manhood I presume. Now I am amazed at the numerous women, not even only the young, who can be excused as not knowing any better. What are they portraying about themselves?

It is not a new subject of course, yet it is the reasoning behind it that intrigues.
Do you feel the same way about all jewelry, body modifications, and cosmetic styling or is it just modern combinations that you aren't used to? Do pierced ears, long (perhaps artificial) fingernails, and artificially blonde hair confuse you the same way as the other examples you described?
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #3

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Difflugia in post #2]

Well, now you mention it, very long fingernails intrigue me. How do the ladies who have them perform their er most private ablutions?

Tcg
Savant

Post #4

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:50 am Excuse me for being rather old and of a previous generation, but i would genuinely like to know what the thinking is behind any woman having a nose ring, entire arms covered with tattoos, hair an unlikely startling shade and suchlike. Do they think these things enhance beauty or is it a tribal thing?

No big deal. Times change. Fashions change. Mores change.

I'd suspect that women who get tattoos are portraying about themselves that they like tattoos. No mystery there.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #5

Post by Rose2020 »

Yet, I still wonder what purpose tattoos serve, for women.
I presume for men they give an impression of virility.

Tcg
Savant

Post #6

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:09 am Yet, I still wonder what purpose tattoos serve, for women.
I presume for men they give an impression of virility.
What purpose does art hanging on a wall serve?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #7

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Tcg in post #6]

Often none at all. I certainly wouldn't want to be wearing it. Especially modern art which is rubbish, like the Emperor's New Clothes story!

Tcg
Savant

Post #8

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:30 am [Replying to Tcg in post #6]

Often none at all. I certainly wouldn't want to be wearing it. Especially modern art which is rubbish, like the Emperor's New Clothes story!
Then why do you assume tattoos must serve a purpose?

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #9

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Tcg in post #8]

Everything we do must have purpose and meaning. Otherwise we are fools.

Tcg
Savant

Post #10

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:15 am [Replying to Tcg in post #8]

Everything we do must have purpose and meaning. Otherwise we are fools.
This doesn't address my question. I asked why you think that there must be a purpose for wearing tattoos when you see no purpose in hanging some kinds of art.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom