What is ' consciousness ' ?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Thomas123
Sage

What is ' consciousness ' ?

Post #1

Post by Thomas123 »

This word appears to be at the centre of many discussions on this forum. It also appears to mean different things to different people and, therein lies the root of our miscommunication. What range and definement do you attribute to, ' consciousness ' ?

Is there an external consciousness in the world?. Can I tune into a shared consciousness. I am listening to Prime Minister's Question Time, ....is Boris tuned into a universal human consciousness as he delivers his address. Is his brain working ,simultaneously and in tandem with my own consciousness and with that of others?

brunumb
Savant

Re: What is ' consciousness ' ?

Post #261

Post by brunumb »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:44 pm
Inquirer wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:23 pm That reminds me, what do you mean by "Truth"? you never did extend me the courtesy of answering that one did ya...
For them unaware...

In another thread Inquirer asked another member if they thought biblical claims regarding the resurrection of Jesus were a myth.

So I asked Inquirer if he thought those claims were truth.

When told by Inquirer there were different kinds of truth, and asked which kind I was asking about, I, not knowing which kind of truth Inqurer might apply to his answer, left that decision up to him.

So let's see where courtesy sits....

Inquirer..

Do you believe biblical tales regarding the resurrection of Jesus are truth?
When I reworded the question to ask if Inquirer (or was he still Sherlock Holmes then?) believed that the resurrection of Jesus actually happened, I fared no better.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #262

Post by JoeyKnothead »

brunumb wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:51 pm
JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:44 pm
Inquirer wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:23 pm That reminds me, what do you mean by "Truth"? you never did extend me the courtesy of answering that one did ya...
For them unaware...

In another thread Inquirer asked another member if they thought biblical claims regarding the resurrection of Jesus were a myth.

So I asked Inquirer if he thought those claims were truth.

When told by Inquirer there were different kinds of truth, and asked which kind I was asking about, I, not knowing which kind of truth Inqurer might apply to his answer, left that decision up to him.

So let's see where courtesy sits....

Inquirer..

Do you believe biblical tales regarding the resurrection of Jesus are truth?
When I reworded the question to ask if Inquirer (or was he still Sherlock Holmes then?) believed that the resurrection of Jesus actually happened, I fared no better.
It seems like the one question a Christian'd be most happy to answer.

Alas, when truth gets brought up, so many Christians fall silent.

"Joey, did you 'forget' to clean the yard again?"

"Yes ma'am, but here's the thing..."
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

William
Savant

Post #263

Post by William »

[Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #262]

I am unsure as to what the question re resurrection [belief for or against] has to do with the topic - can someone remind me of why this came up?

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #264

Post by JoeyKnothead »

William wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:52 pm [Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #262]

I am unsure as to what the question re resurrection [belief for or against] has to do with the topic - can someone remind me of why this came up?
Cause someone's plenty happy to ask questions of others, but shies away from those asked of him. I sought to remind the observer of why I wasn't answering questions put to me by a particular poster.
-Punkinhead Martin

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #265

Post by Inquirer »

[Replying to Diogenes in post #260]

Its not a difficult question for me, it is the question Joey has repeatedly refused to answer.

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #266

Post by Inquirer »

Thomas123 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:59 am This word appears to be at the centre of many discussions on this forum. It also appears to mean different things to different people and, therein lies the root of our miscommunication. What range and definement do you attribute to, ' consciousness ' ?

Is there an external consciousness in the world?. Can I tune into a shared consciousness. I am listening to Prime Minister's Question Time, ....is Boris tuned into a universal human consciousness as he delivers his address. Is his brain working ,simultaneously and in tandem with my own consciousness and with that of others?
Why don't we tackle this from another direction, what is unconsciousness? If we can sensibly define that and then see what's left out when it comes to our own minds, might we get somewhere?

Is transistor unconscious? is a NAND gate unconscious? what about a radio?

William
Savant

Post #267

Post by William »

Can the whole universe be conscious? I don't see why not. If a Human form can have consciousness, why not the whole universe?

Unconsciousness is simply that which one is not conscious of.

brunumb
Savant

Post #268

Post by brunumb »

Diogenes wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:46 pm
Inquirer wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:51 pm Depends on what one means by truth, there ya go, that's the answer you keep claiming I haven't given to you.
Why is that such a difficult question for you. Truth is when words correspond to reality. Examples of non truth:
Dead people reanimating and floating up to a mythical place that has been proved wrong by photos of the Earth from the moon.

What better way to avoid answering a simple question than by disingenuously questioning the meaning of a word and thrusting the burden back on to the questioner to define what is already understood to be the intended meaning. A tactic often used by some here. If you try it in reverse, you are immediately accused of not understanding the basics of what you are attempting to debate. Usually not worth following such people down the rabbit hole.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #269

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Inquirer wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:26 am [Replying to Diogenes in post #260]

Its not a difficult question for me, it is the question Joey has repeatedly refused to answer.
-Punkinhead Martin

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #270

Post by Inquirer »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:27 am
Inquirer wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:26 am [Replying to Diogenes in post #260]

Good, a picture of a real projector at last.