Monkey pox

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Rose2020
Scholar

Monkey pox

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

Are we in any real danger and if so, who from?
This looks horrible and is affecting those who have not travelled. I hope it is not a new nightmare unfolding.

Tcg
Savant

Re: Monkey pox

Post #21

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:11 am [Replying to Tcg in post #19]

What evidence would convince you?
What evidence have you to present?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #22

Post by Inquirer »

Rose2020 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:11 am [Replying to Tcg in post #19]

What evidence would convince you?
A great question and one that - in my many years of debating these things - very very few atheists are willing to answer.

Atheists actually don't know, that's the reason I say atheism is the emperor's new clothes, vacuous, it isn't a rational position, it is "I don't know" dressed up to imply it is something else, something cleverer, it isn't.

I've asked this of hundreds of outspoken atheists and it never ceases to amuse me how I rarely get an answer.

The claim "I've never seen evidence for God' is a common one, yet how does one analyze something to prove it is not evidence for God? that is never revealed, smoke and mirrors!

The atheist who says "I've never seen evidence for God' immediately incurs the burden of proof, they need to be able to rationally justify the claim and cannot do so unless they can show an ability to recognize evidence for God, if they cannot then they should not make claims they cannot backup with evidence, it's that simple.

All evidence is interpreted and if that interpretation is flawed then it will prevent someone from recognizing that some thing is evidence for some claim, what comes first the belief? or the interpretation leading to the belief...
Last edited by Inquirer on Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #23

Post by Rose2020 »

True. Yet, believers cannot prove God exists , unbelievers cannot disprove it. It is like trying to explain falling in love to someone who never has. Or the beauty of a sunrise to a blind man.
However, the one certainty is that at the moment of death we shall each know. Then we cannot turn back. I know I will not want to. That is the difference.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #24

Post by Rose2020 »

We have gone off the topic.

Why should gay men be disproportionately experiencing monkey pox? There is something not being told.

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #25

Post by Inquirer »

Rose2020 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:31 pm True. Yet, believers cannot prove God exists , unbelievers cannot disprove it. It is like trying to explain falling in love to someone who never has. Or the beauty of a sunrise to a blind man.
However, the one certainty is that at the moment of death we shall each know. Then we cannot turn back. I know I will not want to. That is the difference.
Well said. I cannot prove something to another person unless we have some commo basis for things. If we have different base assumptions then we'll likely never agree on any proof, or evidence.

It is the base assumptions that are the key, that dictates how we interpret things, a belief in scientism, philosophical materialism is what underpins much of atheism yet there's often a reluctance to admit to such beliefs.

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #26

Post by Inquirer »

Rose2020 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:34 pm We have gone off the topic.

Why should gay men be disproportionately experiencing monkey pox? There is something not being told.
I have no idea, could it be that some gay men routinely see sex with multiple partners as a means of recreation? I do not know if that practice is more common among gay men than other categories though.

But if that is the case then clearly an infected person is likely to infect multiple others, in fact the stats for Monkeypox infections might even be evidence that this is true.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #27

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Inquirer in post #26]

I reckon heterosexuals can be and are promiscuous too, so that cannot be it. There is some factors not yet being disclosed. It is a terrible disease not to be wished on anyone and everyone should be told fully how it is spread.

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #28

Post by Inquirer »

Rose2020 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:27 pm [Replying to Inquirer in post #26]

I reckon heterosexuals can be and are promiscuous too, so that cannot be it. There is some factors not yet being disclosed. It is a terrible disease not to be wished on anyone and everyone should be told fully how it is spread.
I found this:
An uncomfortable truth, one documented in peer-reviewed papers, is that sexual behaviors and networks specific to gay and bisexual men have long made them more likely to acquire various sexually transmitted infections compared with heterosexual people. This includes not only HIV, but also syphilis, gonorrhea, chlamydia, hepatitis B and sexually transmitted hepatitis C.
and
As we know from covid-19, differences in test-positivity rates help control for differences in testing rates. And those figures in Britain are stark: The U.K. Health Security Agency reported that half of men screened for monkeypox tested positive; women, by contrast, tested positive only 0.6 percent of the time. No one under the age of 18 tested positive.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #29

Post by Rose2020 »

Interesting.

Tcg
Savant

Post #30

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:31 pm True. Yet, believers cannot prove God exists , unbelievers cannot disprove it. It is like trying to explain falling in love to someone who never has. Or the beauty of a sunrise to a blind man.
A great many atheists were once believers. We do indeed know what it's like to believe in god/gods. We are not as you suggest "blind."
Not necessarily. If there are no god/gods to provide an afterlife, and indeed no other means to attain one, we will never know that those of us who don't accept either were right not to do so. Projecting future unknowns is not evidence of god/gods.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom