Tattoos and piercings

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

Rose2020
Scholar

Tattoos and piercings

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

Excuse me for being rather old and of a previous generation, but i would genuinely like to know what the thinking is behind any woman having a nose ring, entire arms covered with tattoos, hair an unlikely startling shade and suchlike. Do they think these things enhance beauty or is it a tribal thing?

In times gone by, in my youth, it was sailors and soldiers who had tatoos. It represented ultra tough manhood I presume. Now I am amazed at the numerous women, not even only the young, who can be excused as not knowing any better. What are they portraying about themselves?

It is not a new subject of course, yet it is the reasoning behind it that intrigues.

Diagoras
Guru

Re: Tattoos and piercings

Post #11

Post by Diagoras »

[Replying to Rose2020 in post #1]

Well, in Asian countries, “hair an unlikely startling shade” is usually just a way of displaying individuality when one’s natural shade is frequently the same as everyone else’s

Having the confidence to ‘stand out’ can be very attractive in some instances. So adornments like you mentioned are signalling that you are a confident, nonconformist person.

Funny, from your previous posts I would have guessed you were perhaps a teenager, not ‘of a previous generation’.

Miles
Savant

Post #12

Post by Miles »

In your youth, when only sailors and soldiers had tattoos, I bet you wore heavy make up

.................... Image

......... With eye shadow, deliberately shaped eyebrows, and bright red lipstick and nail polish and . . .

.................... had to wear nylons, even in the insufferable heat of summer.

....................Image

....................And, of course, wore pointed bras, (referred to as bullet bras today), which were often

....................padded with Kleenex in order to better fill out one's ideal shape.

....................Image

Of course none of these compare to the body modification that takes place today, but that's fads for you. At least back then you could rid yourself of it all in a few minutes when the day was done. I can just imagine some old biddy in the future sitting in her wheel chair, trying to hide her garish tats. Reminders of her foolish youth. UGH!----No thank you.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #13

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Tcg in post #10]

I concede it is a matter of personal taste, a very unstable thing. I think nobody is ever improved in appearance by a tattoo except maybe adding to a man's macho image - up to a point. To me they certainly ruin any woman's beauty if she has any and accentuate existing hideousness
for others. I notice those who have very little money are prone to waste it on such unnecessary things. I assume they are expensive and painful, inviting infections and damage.

I think a great deal of modern art is utter rubbish. I cannot be trusted to visit a museum or shop with such items as I am unable to control my mouth, especially if I see the prices!

As for piercings they are always horrible except maybe just one in each ear to enable pretty earrings. In areas such as nose,tongue, lip they just look stupid. I cannot understand why anyone would do that. Why would a girl want to look like a bull with a ring through the nose? I can only assume it is a hark back to tribal instincts.

I suppose I am old and my patience over stupidity long used up!

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #14

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Diagoras in post #11]

I may be getting on in years but I try to keep my mind young and active.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #15

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Miles in post #12]

These images are of already beautiful women enhancing their looks.

Miles
Savant

Post #16

Post by Miles »

Rose2020 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:26 am [Replying to Miles in post #12]

These images are of already beautiful women enhancing their looks.
Yup, but are you implying that not-so-beautiful women didn't use eye shadow, deliberately shape their eyebrows, and wear bright red lipstick, nail polish, nylons, and pointed bras?

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #17

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Miles in post #16]

I'm sure they did.
I am just amazed any woman thinks a tattoo or nose ring does anything positive for her.
Each to his own taste but, I just wondered about the thought process behind it, if any.

Diagoras
Guru

Post #18

Post by Diagoras »

The thought process may well be along the lines
I first mentioned - to stand out from the crowd.
Why be ordinary? Why conform to everything your
parents or leaders demand of you? After maybe
five or six years of a school uniform, plenty of
young adults want to experiment with their
appearance.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #19

Post by Purple Knight »

Rose2020 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:50 amWhat are they portraying about themselves?
Something special. At least, that's what it ought to portray.

I saw one that said "To Die Would be an Awfully Great Adventure" and identified it as Peter Pan. The book, not the movie. The book and all its craziness that was excluded when it got Disneyfied.

Peter Pan was special to her. Nothing wrong with that.

I see too many tattoos and it gets muddy. It looks muddy. Not everything can be a special thing, I think.