If you were Satan....

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Athetotheist
Prodigy

If you were Satan....

Post #1

Post by Athetotheist »

I remember a TV preacher once asking his broadcast audience, "If you were Satan....." I don't remember the rest of the question, but I seem to remember that he was talking about prophecy and arguing that Satan was up to some diabolical mischief ("If you were Satan, isn't that what you would do?").

A lot of detail in Christian scripture about what is to happen before Jesus returns is tied to the activity of "Satan". The appearance of the "antichrist", in particular, is supposed to be part of Satan's last gambit before he goes down to utter defeat.

Since it was asked of me how I would react if I were Satan, I think it's fair for me to answer. I know that "Satan" is supposed to be a being of superhuman intelligence, but I can't help thinking that if such a being actually existed and if I were that being, I could do a lot better.

If I were "Satan", I would scrap the antichrist plan. If it's all laid out in the Bible, then everyone knows what to expect and you've lost the element of surprise. With that one simple deviation from the prophetic scenario, the whole thing would be gummed up. No antichrist, no mark of the beast, no abomination of desolation, no anything I was supposed to do as Satan to set the stage for the return of Jesus. And without those prophetic components in place, Jesus couldn't return to fulfill prophecy. And how could anyone stop me? I wouldn't be taking some action which could be prevented; I would be defeating prophecy by not taking action.

So let me pass the preacher's question on to you. If you were "Satan", what would you do----or not do----to thwart prophecy?

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Re: If you were Satan....

Post #331

Post by The Nice Centurion »

[Replying to Athetotheist in post #330]
Now you dodge to circular reasoning. How shameful.

Also if you question prophecy how can you be sure that you know of a way Satan can thwart it.

Still there were indeed always voices and denominations that didnt want to be relevation canon.

viewtopic.php?t=28366

Luther didnt really want revelation in his bible, for example.
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #332

Post by Athetotheist »

[Replying to The Nice Centurion in post #331
Athetotheist wrote:The questionability of Jesus's words supports my questioning of Christian prophecy
The Nice Centurion wrote:Now you dodge to circular reasoning.
I'm not reasoning circularly; I'm pointing out that Jesus's questionable statements work in my favor, not in yours.
Also if you question prophecy how can you be sure that you know of a way Satan can thwart it.
Proposing a way for "Satan" to thwart prophecy is how I'm questioning prophecy.
Still there were indeed always voices and denominations that didnt want to be relevation canon.
Irrelevant, since Revelation was canonized.

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #333

Athetotheist wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:08 pm [Replying to The Nice Centurion in post #331
Athetotheist wrote:The questionability of Jesus's words supports my questioning of Christian prophecy
The Nice Centurion wrote:Now you dodge to circular reasoning.
I'm not reasoning circularly; I'm pointing out that Jesus's questionable statements work in my favor, not in yours.
Proposing a way for "Satan" to thwart prophecy is how I'm questioning prophecy.
And that is circular.
You have to learn better reasoning, or it will come to it that you will doubt Satans very existence, because of the fact he is able to thwart prophecy accordimg to your mission for him. That would be the day!
Athetotheist wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:08 pm
Irrelevant, since Revelation was canonized.
Indeed. I was just trying to help you gettimg a grip on your own argument.
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #334

Post by Athetotheist »

[Replying to The Nice Centurion in post #333
And that is circular.
You have to learn better reasoning, or it will come to it that you will doubt Satans very existence, because of the fact he is able to thwart prophecy accordimg to your mission for him. That would be the day!
I thought I had clearly explained, through my use of quotation marks around the name "Satan", that I do doubt his existence. Again, my argument is not circular; I'm taking the assumption that "Satan" does exist to its logical conclusion in order to make a logical argument that he doesn't exist.

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #335

Athetotheist wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:14 pm [Replying to The Nice Centurion in post #333
And that is circular.
I thought I had clearly explained, through my use of quotation marks around the name "Satan", that I do doubt his existence. Again, my argument is not circular; I'm taking the assumption that "Satan" does exist to its logical conclusion in order to make a logical argument that he doesn't exist.
And that argument failed.

Qutation marks are no magic sigil that makes a demon go away, sorry!

Also your argument fails because of the many complications it would come with.

An inactive Satan, intended to prove failing prophecy, serves only for a failing argument, even though you choose playing blind and deaf to all rebuttals.

Plaing blind and deaf doesnt make a win, pal.

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #336

[Replying to Athetotheist in post #1]
Here is an interesting thread:
Is Satan capable of manipulating the internet?
viewtopic.php?t=31764

We can safely assume that Satan owns a PC and has sufficient intelligence to use it.

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #337

Post by Athetotheist »

[Replying to The Nice Centurion in post #335

An inactive Satan, intended to prove failing prophecy, serves only for a failing argument, even though you choose playing blind and deaf to all rebuttals.

Simply repeating that there are "complications" doesn't make a win, "pal".

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #338

Post by Athetotheist »

The Nice Centurion wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:19 am [Replying to Athetotheist in post #1]
viewtopic.php?t=31764

We can safely assume that Satan owns a PC and has sufficient intelligence to use it.
What?......No "complications"?

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #339

Athetotheist wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:55 am [Replying to The Nice Centurion in post #335

Simply repeating that there are "complications" doesn't make a win, "pal".
For most of this thread I worked to show you some of the complications in detail.
For me, this isnt about winning but about reasonable assumptions about how Satan thinks he can win and how in fact he can win.
Athetotheist wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:59 am
The Nice Centurion wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:19 am [Replying to Athetotheist in post #1]
viewtopic.php?t=31764

What?......No "complications"?
If so, then only partly. It is pretty obvious that Satan gets his electricity for PC from generators that work with volcanic energy.

Not sure here, how exactly he logs into internet connection, but we could debate that in a New thread if you want to make.

If you were Satan . . how would you get internet and what would you do there?

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #340

Athetotheist wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:32 pm"Dude......wouldn't it be cool if Satan was a Marvel character??"
Sure pal! Sure!

And I found a fitting thread for your ideas:

Jesus Christ Superhero?
viewtopic.php?t=32434