Why are Atheists Here?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

liamconnor
Prodigy

Why are Atheists Here?

Post #1

Post by liamconnor »

It seems to me that far more atheists frequent this site than theists.

It is also obviously apparent that non-theist members here are very, very passionate.

But why? What is your goal.

Are you trying to create atheists? But that goal does not fit the strategy, which is typically on the defensive: i.e., "Prove to me there is a God!"

So why are you here? You obviously want theists to be constantly trying to convince you of ideas you think ridiculous. This is very strange. I think Islam an error; yet I am not a member of a single Islamic site. Are you? I think Hinduism strange; still, not seeking a Hindu forum to demand evidence for their beliefs.

So, to reiterate:

what is your goal?

why specifically Christianity?

Danmark
Site Supporter

Re: Why are Atheists Here?

Post #91

Post by Danmark »

Aetixintro wrote: [Replying to post 84 by Zzyzx]

I try to show that Atheists are myopic and subject to the Problem of Induction who fail to see the "black swans". That the World is indeed a fantastic place.

You should know as well as I do that the NDEs and OBEs suggest a fantastic nature that in turn suggests God "somewhere up there". The NDEs and OBEs also relate to Jesus' resurrection and Jesus' travel to Heaven/God. Again, I think Atheists are failing to see!

I don't speak of conspiracies like that, no, this is more like the "corrupt minds" problem.
Such preposterous assumptions! The fact that some people still cling to arbitrary definitions of death is of zero consequence except to announce self delusion. But what is really a most absurd assumption is that because one includes 'atheist' as one of many of his intellectual frameworks suggests the person does not see the world as a wondrous place. For me, the world is more 'fantastic,' wonderful and glorious than when in my youth I had that ridiculous 'pat' answer: "God did it."

Whatever do you mean by "Atheists are myopic and subject to the Problem of Induction?" I understand your claim that atheists are nearsighted, but could you explain your logic for this claim as well as delineate and prove the facts you base it on? And please explain why atheists are prone to the "Problem of Induction" in some way theists are not. Your claims appear as nothing more than wild, unfounded, remarks of prejudice, unanchored by reality.

Monta
Guru

Post #92

Post by Monta »

[Replying to post 90 by Zzyzx]

"Okay -- EXACTLY what does mean one is a Christian?

How is that decided? By whom? Using what criteria? By what authority?

If a person states that they are a Christian, WHO is entitled to say they are not?"

First, Christians are not perfect. Striving to become more spiritual is daily process.

Christians are not born, they become by a conscious decision to follow a certain path.

Who decides? It is basically between them and their God while their Christian life is visible in things they say and things they do. They stive to live the 10 commanmants, the sermon on the mount and the rest of Jesus' and Apostols' teaching.

Anyone is free to judge a Christian but in the end it is between them and their God.

Kenisaw
Guru

Post #93

Post by Kenisaw »

Aetixintro wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: Theistic positions do not seem to fare well in debate. Why not?
Because Atheists are better banging their heads against the wall of futility? :)

As much as Theists are bad at proving that God exists so too are Atheists bad at proving that God doesn't exist.
You can't prove a negative, a point which is made often at this website, and not just in the theological discussions.

It is up to the claimant to prove their claim. Theists claim a god exists. They have yet to produce even one scrap of empirical data or evidence for that however, despite requests for such information. Instead we get statements that evolution isn't a good scientific theory and that the plausibility that a tomb could be found empty means the resurrection had to occur, because misdirection is the only tool left in the toolbox.

The effort to show why religious claims are nonsense might seem futile to you, and you are of course free to believe that if you wish...

liamconnor
Prodigy

Post #94

Post by liamconnor »

Did this Thread get entirely derailed?

SkyChief
Apprentice

Post #95

Post by SkyChief »

liamconnor wrote: ...So why are you here? You obviously want theists to be constantly trying to convince you of ideas you think ridiculous. This is very strange.
I'm here because the Name of the forum is Debating Christianity. I just assumed that the discussion would revolve around Christianity. It IS the theme of this forum, after all.
liamconnor wrote: what is your goal?
To engage in debates about the existence of Jesus and the dogma of Christianity.
liamconnor wrote:why specifically Christianity?
Again, because the name of the fourum is DEBATING CHRISTIANITY.

KenRU
Guru

Post #96

Post by KenRU »

Monta wrote: [Replying to post 69 by KenRU]

"My goal is to have my views challenged and to learn more about the subject. I find it very interesting. "

As an atheist you are not truth seeker.

You demand proof of what's behind the closed door which you have firmly shut.

Vain exercise.

It is probably not wise to pretend to know what motivates other ppl - especially ones you do not know. I have closed no doors to the truth. Have you?

Let's test the merit of your erroneous assertion, shall we?

I can say with complete honesty, here and now, that I am open to the possibility of a god existing.

Can you say the same? That you are open to the possibility that god does not exist?

Unless you can answer yes, than I am far more open to the truth of the world we live in then you.

-all the best
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." -Steven Weinberg

Kenisaw
Guru

Post #97

Post by Kenisaw »

liamconnor wrote: Did this Thread get entirely derailed?
Abandoned by the creator of the OP apparently. Go figure...

KenRU
Guru

Why are Atheists Here?

Post #98

Post by KenRU »

liamconnor wrote: Did this Thread get entirely derailed?

I replied to your OP in Post 69 (as did others along the way). So, I guess it is up to you to bring it back on point : )

-all the best
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." -Steven Weinberg

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #99

Post by The Nice Centurion »

liamconnor wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 1:11 am So why are you here? You obviously want theists to be constantly trying to convince you of ideas you think ridiculous. This is very strange. I think Islam an error; yet I am not a member of a single Islamic site. Are you? I think Hinduism strange; still, not seeking a Hindu forum to demand evidence for their beliefs.

So, to reiterate:

what is your goal?

I wonder if there is a single islamic site out there where one can debate mohamedans as critically as it is possible to debate christians here.

I never found such a debate forum!

Can anyone help me with that please?
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Post #100

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

The Nice Centurion wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:03 am
liamconnor wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 1:11 am So why are you here? You obviously want theists to be constantly trying to convince you of ideas you think ridiculous. This is very strange. I think Islam an error; yet I am not a member of a single Islamic site. Are you? I think Hinduism strange; still, not seeking a Hindu forum to demand evidence for their beliefs.

So, to reiterate:

what is your goal?

I wonder if there is a single islamic site out there where one can debate mohamedans as critically as it is possible to debate christians here.

I never found such a debate forum!

Can anyone help me with that please?
I dont know...but one thing is for certain, you don't need help with bumping old threads.

You seem to have a pretty good handle on that one.
Venni Vetti Vecci!!