Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Scientific thinking and common sense

Post #1

Post by Eloi »

I have noticed that sometimes people with a scientific mind, people who have studied a lot and know a lot of information about different sciences, do not notice simple things that do not escape the attention of ordinary people, even if they have studied less or almost nothing.

For example, the fact that the animals that evolutionists call "lower" in the evolutionary scale still live alongside humans, and that others supposedly fitter, because they are located in a higher position in the evolutionary line of man, no longer exist.

Evolutionary theory holds that as animals progressed up the evolutionary scale, they became more capable of surviving. Why, then, is the “inferior” ape family still in existence, but not a single one of the presumed intermediate forms, which were supposed to be more advanced in evolution? Today we see chimpanzees, gorillas and orangutans, but no “ape-men.” Does it seem likely that every one of the more recent and supposedly more advanced “links” between apelike creatures and modern man should have become extinct, but not the lower apes? https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1101985017

To what extent do you think the "wisdom" of this system of things can cloud a person's mind?

brunumb
Savant

Re: Scientific thinking and common sense

Post #61

Post by brunumb »

Inquirer wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:37 pm It predates the foundation of the universe, it tells us that "the word" is the being that created the universe, it tells us that when he visited his creation in the flesh, in material form, he was killed by those he created and much much more.
It is just one among many creation stories and adventurous tales of gods and demons. One could see it as the Marvel comic book of its day.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #62

Post by Inquirer »

brunumb wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:10 pm
Inquirer wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:37 pm It predates the foundation of the universe, it tells us that "the word" is the being that created the universe, it tells us that when he visited his creation in the flesh, in material form, he was killed by those he created and much much more.
It is just one among many creation stories and adventurous tales of gods and demons. One could see it as the Marvel comic book of its day.
Equating the Bible to a Marvel comic book is not something any serious theist or atheist scholar of archeology, ancient history, philology or Biblical anthropology would ever suggest though, its not a view held by any competent scholar in these scientific fields you'll find.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #63

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Inquirer wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:06 pm Equating the Bible to a Marvel comic book is not something any serious theist or atheist scholar of archeology, ancient history, philology or Biblical anthropology would ever suggest though, its not a view held by any competent scholar in these scientific fields you'll find.
Equating the Bible to the word of a god one can't even show exists to've uttered it is the greater crime.

"You gotta take my sacred book serious" does not bind anyone to do so.

Present goofy claims, risk not being taken seriously.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #64

Post by Inquirer »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:10 pm
Inquirer wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:06 pm Equating the Bible to a Marvel comic book is not something any serious theist or atheist scholar of archeology, ancient history, philology or Biblical anthropology would ever suggest though, its not a view held by any competent scholar in these scientific fields you'll find.
Equating the Bible to the word of a god one can't even show exists to've uttered it is the greater crime.
So you agree it seems, equating the Bible to a Marvel comic book is a "crime" even in your view, thank you.
JoeyKnothead wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:10 pm "You gotta take my sacred book serious" does not bind anyone to do so.

As do nonsensical, poorly argued, and badly written forum posts.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #65

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Inquirer wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:20 pm
JoeyKnothead wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:10 pm Equating the Bible to the word of a god one can't even show exists to've uttered it is the greater crime.
So you agree it seems, equating the Bible to a Marvel comic book is a "crime" even in your view, thank you.
Let's run with that...

All ya'll comic book equaters, do y'all some of the Hell Marys.

All y'all "word of God" promoters, well bless your hearts.
JoeyKnothead wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:10 pm "You gotta take my sacred book serious" does not bind anyone to do so.

lomfpoc

The bible's it the mother of all "nonsensical, poorly argued, and badly written".

My point remains - if one wants take the bible seriously, that don't mean everyone hasta.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #66

Post by Inquirer »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:22 pm
Inquirer wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:20 pm
JoeyKnothead wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:10 pm Equating the Bible to the word of a god one can't even show exists to've uttered it is the greater crime.
Let's run with that...

All ya'll comic book equaters, do y'all some of the Hell Marys.

All y'all "word of God" promoters, well bless your hearts.

lomfpoc

The bible's it the mother of all "nonsensical, poorly argued, and badly written".
No, it just looks that way to someone completely unfamiliar with it, no different to if you were to encounter this for example:

Unless one puts in the work, the study, the effort and research one will not be able to make sense of it and could easily make the error of describing this as "nonsensical" and "badly written", do you see what I mean?
JoeyKnothead wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:22 pm My point remains - if one wants take the bible seriously, that don't mean everyone hasta.
That's some "point" Joey, congratulations.

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #67

Post by Jose Fly »

Inquirer wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:39 am No, it just looks that way to someone completely unfamiliar with it, no different to if you were to encounter this for example:

Unless one puts in the work, the study, the effort and research one will not be able to make sense of it and could easily make the error of describing this as "nonsensical" and "badly written", do you see what I mean?
So is it your argument that everyone who isn't a Christian is only that way because they haven't "put in the work, the study, the effort, and research" and therefore are unfamiliar with the Bible?
Being apathetic is great....or not. I don't really care.

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #68

Post by Inquirer »

Jose Fly wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:06 pm
Inquirer wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:39 am No, it just looks that way to someone completely unfamiliar with it, no different to if you were to encounter this for example:

So is it your argument that everyone who isn't a Christian is only that way because they haven't "put in the work, the study, the effort, and research" and therefore are unfamiliar with the Bible?
No, those are your words not mine. I was explaining to Joey that the Bible appearing to him to be "nonsensical" or "badly written" is because he perhaps doesn't understand it.

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #69

Post by Jose Fly »

Inquirer wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:53 pm No, those are your words not mine.
That's why I asked.
I was explaining to Joey that the Bible appearing to him to be "nonsensical" or "badly written" is because he perhaps doesn't understand it.
What do you say to folks like me who have read the Bible and grew up immersed in Christianity literally from one week old, but also find the general story of the Bible to be nonsensical?
Being apathetic is great....or not. I don't really care.

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #70

Post by Inquirer »

Jose Fly wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:58 pm
Inquirer wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:53 pm No, those are your words not mine.
That's why I asked.
I was explaining to Joey that the Bible appearing to him to be "nonsensical" or "badly written" is because he perhaps doesn't understand it.
What do you say to folks like me who have read the Bible and grew up immersed in Christianity literally from one week old, but also find the general story of the Bible to be nonsensical?
Whatever you were "immersed in" it was unhelpful to you it seems.