Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Running the race

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Hi all,

The Bible talks a lot about running the race.

Here is a smattering of verses: https://reformedwiki.com/verses/run-the-race

As a Christian I really am starting to get this teaching and so I wanted to see what others are doing.

Do you think you are running a race? What race? Why do you persevere? Will it matter ultimately?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Tcg
Savant

Re: Running the race

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to Wootah in post #1]

It is interesting that your source includes this verse:
Matthew 7:13-14

13 “Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. 14 For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.
I'm not sure how this relates to running. Whatever it is, it can't possibly refer to any race Christians are on. Numbering about 2.4 billion members, religion wise, Christianity is absolutely the widest gate there is, and billions have found it. At perhaps as few as .6 million, perhaps it applies to the race Rastafari are on.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #3

Post by The Nice Centurion »

[Replying to Tcg in post #2]
1) Running presumably implies a goal, and zhat could as well be a narrow gate. - Thats how I understand it.

2) But most christians belong to a denomination, and most denominations want to see all others in hell.
Perhaps the Strangites are right. Narrow enough they are only 300 and already split up in two groups and are the only ones who follow "The Book of the Law of the Lord".
https://www.ldsstrangite.com/book-of-th ... -lord.html
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"

Tcg
Savant

Post #4

Post by Tcg »

The Nice Centurion wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:36 am [Replying to Tcg in post #2]
1) Running presumably implies a goal, and zhat could as well be a narrow gate. - Thats how I understand it.

2) But most christians belong to a denomination, and most denominations want to see all others in hell.
Perhaps the Strangites are right. Narrow enough they are only 300 and already split up in two groups and are the only ones who follow "The Book of the Law of the Lord".
https://www.ldsstrangite.com/book-of-th ... -lord.html
Whether or not most Christians belong to a denomination does not change the fact that Christianity is the most popular religion in the world and thus logically can't be the narrow gate. If we are going to hunt for the least populace Christian denomination, we'd have to consider the Shakers who last I checked were down to one or two members. But that is irrelevant to the fact that Christianity is the most popular religion in the world. Even those one or two are Christians assuming they're still alive.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #5

[Replying to Tcg in post #4]
Many christian denominations do not see other denominations as christians.

The only logical reasoning rherefore I draw from your seach for the narrow gate would be that it is a rather small denomintion that is right.
Or perhaps its already closed 'cause that only right denomination got vanquished.
The Donatists perhaps? St.Augustine had a whole church of them, for not accepting catholic baptizing, burned down alive.
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"

Tcg
Savant

Post #6

Post by Tcg »

The Nice Centurion wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:56 am [Replying to Tcg in post #4]
Many christian denominations do not see other denominations as christians.
That doesn't change the fact that they are indeed Christians.

The only logical reasoning rherefore I draw from your seach for the narrow gate would be that it is a rather small denomintion that is right.
Or perhaps its already closed 'cause that only right denomination got vanquished.
The Donatists perhaps? St.Augustine had a whole church of them, for not accepting catholic baptizing, burned down alive.
No. First off, I am not searching for the narrow gate. Further, as I've already explained, a Christian denomination is indeed a part of the most popular religion in the world and therefore can't, at least not logically, be the narrow gate.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #7

[Replying to Tcg in post #6]
But for all we know, Christ was a baptized (Catholic or Jehovahs Witness or rather mormon?) christian and therefore he could only have meant some christian brand.

Wootah
Savant

Post #8

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to Tcg in post #2]

Yeah I didn't think that applied to the concept.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Diagoras
Guru

Post #9

Post by Diagoras »

Reading that ‘smattering’, the various authors seem to suggest prizing endurance, self-control, steadfastness and playing by the rules.

I can get behind these sentiments easily enough.

They also place some emphasis on living in faith and striving for the ‘prize’ of being called to Christ - alluding to attaining eternal life.

I’m not running that race. I’m very comfortable with the idea that once I die, that’s it - nothing else. And that out of the billions of people who have ever lived, my life will be almost wholly irrelevant in human history once I’m dead.

I strive to be happy: gained by staying healthy, involved, and by using my own talents and motivation to make choices freely. That includes choosing to work for material gain, and believing that Pascal’s Wager isn’t worth taking.

Wootah
Savant

Post #10

Post by Wootah »

Diagoras wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:39 pm Reading that ‘smattering’, the various authors seem to suggest prizing endurance, self-control, steadfastness and playing by the rules.

I can get behind these sentiments easily enough.

They also place some emphasis on living in faith and striving for the ‘prize’ of being called to Christ - alluding to attaining eternal life.

I’m not running that race. I’m very comfortable with the idea that once I die, that’s it - nothing else. And that out of the billions of people who have ever lived, my life will be almost wholly irrelevant in human history once I’m dead.

I strive to be happy: gained by staying healthy, involved, and by using my own talents and motivation to make choices freely. That includes choosing to work for material gain, and believing that Pascal’s Wager isn’t worth taking.
Yes but while you have health or can get involved or family or money then it is easy to keep going. But is that the same as running the race?