Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Running the race

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Hi all,

The Bible talks a lot about running the race.

Here is a smattering of verses: https://reformedwiki.com/verses/run-the-race

As a Christian I really am starting to get this teaching and so I wanted to see what others are doing.

Do you think you are running a race? What race? Why do you persevere? Will it matter ultimately?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Diagoras
Guru

Re: Running the race

Post #11

Post by Diagoras »

Well, as long as I am practicing self-control and am playing by the rules, then ‘living well’ is still ‘being in the race’, in my opinion.

Perhaps your argument is just that I’m in an entirely different race than you? You’re in the ‘faith marathon’, while I’m over on the orienteering course, doing something quite different.

Wootah
Savant

Post #12

Post by Wootah »

Diagoras wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:14 pm Well, as long as I am practicing self-control and am playing by the rules, then ‘living well’ is still ‘being in the race’, in my opinion.

Perhaps your argument is just that I’m in an entirely different race than you? You’re in the ‘faith marathon’, while I’m over on the orienteering course, doing something quite different.
We are all in a faith marathon. Just when you orienteer - make sure you align with the right star.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Diagoras
Guru

Post #13

Post by Diagoras »

Wootah wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:49 am Do you think you are running a race? What race?
We are all in a faith marathon.
Based on your biblical quotes, I answered your OP by saying I’m running a different ‘race’ from someone wishing to reach Christ. If you are claiming that there’s only the one race in town, then I’m clearly running in a different direction and at a different speed to anyone of Christian faith, and indeed, a direction also different from the one Muslims, Jews, Hindus and Sikhs are running in.

Savant

Post #14

Post by 1213 »

Wootah wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:49 am ...
Do you think you are running a race? What race? Why do you persevere? Will it matter ultimately?
I think it means to be loyal to Jesus and God, because it is said: "I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."

And I think it matters so that they get the eternal life.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

Behold, his soul is puffed up. It is not upright in him, but the righteous will live by his faith.
Habakkuk 2:4

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #15

Post by TRANSPONDER »

I'm all for running a race. Not so much to win over others or make the cut to be accepted into the finals, but to see whether you can make the next objective. But it's fine if others don't want to run the race. They also serve who only sit and eat popcorn. But we pick our own race.

"No marathons for me, I'm wasted over long distances, but I'm very dangerous in a sprint".
"No, you must do a marathon; No sprints, 100 meters, no relays,no half mile and no hurdles, just a Marathon, anything else is just Wrong".

Mo, thank you but nobody tells us what race we - all are supposed to be running. Especially if they look to me like they're running in ever decreasing circles.

Tcg
Savant

Post #16

Post by Tcg »

Wootah wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:15 pm [Replying to Tcg in post #2]

Yeah I didn't think that applied to the concept.
So, you are suggesting that the widest religious gate doesn't relate to the widest gate Jesus spoke of. What then was Jesus speaking of?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Wootah
Savant

Post #17

Post by Wootah »

Tcg wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:18 pm

So, you are suggesting that the widest religious gate doesn't relate to the widest gate Jesus spoke of. What then was Jesus speaking of?

Tcg
I didn't think that specific 'wide gate' quote was well placed for a list on running the race and for my purposes in the thread but still posted the list because it was good enough for showing the concept exists in the Bible so we could discuss it.

The gate to heaven is narrow. No one can pass through it. Only Jesus made the way possible. As the Bible and 1213 said only Jesus successfully ran the race. Our race is to have faith and live according to that faith. Interestingly the sermon this weekend (we are in the book of hebrews) explained some more differences. For instance, a runner in a race runs alone, the crowd can help by cheering along at best. We Christians run together and we should be helping each other to finish the race so no one gets left behind and doesn't complete the race.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #18

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Wootah wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:34 pm
Tcg wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:18 pm

Tcg
I didn't think that specific 'wide gate' quote was well placed for a list on running the race and for my purposes in the thread but still posted the list because it was good enough for showing the concept exists in the Bible so we could discuss it.

The gate to heaven is narrow. No one can pass through it. Only Jesus made the way possible. As the Bible and 1213 said only Jesus successfully ran the race. Our race is to have faith and live according to that faith. Interestingly the sermon this weekend (we are in the book of hebrews) explained some more differences. For instance, a runner in a race runs alone, the crowd can help by cheering along at best. We Christians run together and we should be helping each other to finish the race so no one gets left behind and doesn't complete the race.

Perhaps you can clarify this, if the gate to heaven is so narrow that no -one can pass through it other than Jesus making it possible, then there is no race to be run, only the person who judges the race to be bribed with flattery.

Tcg
Savant

Post #19

Post by Tcg »

The gate to heaven is narrow.
Then, as I've already documented, it isn't the gate Christians are entering. They are entering the widest religious gate known to mankind.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Wootah
Savant

Post #20

Post by Wootah »

Tcg wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:24 am
The gate to heaven is narrow.
Then, as I've already documented, it isn't the gate Christians are entering. They are entering the widest religious gate known to mankind.

Tcg
This is just a comprehension issue. No one could enter the gate until Jesus did. After Jesus no one can enter the gate without accepting Jesus as Lord and Saviour. Easy to do you say? Go on then. Show me.