Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Scientific thinking and common sense

Post #1

Post by Eloi »

I have noticed that sometimes people with a scientific mind, people who have studied a lot and know a lot of information about different sciences, do not notice simple things that do not escape the attention of ordinary people, even if they have studied less or almost nothing.

For example, the fact that the animals that evolutionists call "lower" in the evolutionary scale still live alongside humans, and that others supposedly fitter, because they are located in a higher position in the evolutionary line of man, no longer exist.

Evolutionary theory holds that as animals progressed up the evolutionary scale, they became more capable of surviving. Why, then, is the “inferior” ape family still in existence, but not a single one of the presumed intermediate forms, which were supposed to be more advanced in evolution? Today we see chimpanzees, gorillas and orangutans, but no “ape-men.” Does it seem likely that every one of the more recent and supposedly more advanced “links” between apelike creatures and modern man should have become extinct, but not the lower apes? https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1101985017

To what extent do you think the "wisdom" of this system of things can cloud a person's mind?

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Re: Scientific thinking and common sense

Post #121

Post by Inquirer »

Difflugia wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:41 pm
Inquirer wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:30 pmI have told you only God can reveal himself to us,
I can say the same thing about the leprechaun in my pocket. The apparently unbridgeable gulf separating us is that you can somehow say your thing with a straight face.
I am only speaking the truth, do you want me to lie? is a world of lying preferable because its more comfortable?

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #122

Post by Inquirer »

Jose Fly wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:44 pm
Inquirer wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:30 pm Why do you ask this of me?
I've always been amazed at how often some people have to be reminded that they're in a debate forum.
Jose, imagine just for a moment, just for the sake of argument that it is true (that you know it to be true), that only God can enable a person to see God's reality, that nobody can be aware of God until God want's that to happen - imagine it is true - then, what else could I say?

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #123

Post by Jose Fly »

Inquirer wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:44 pm I am only speaking the truth, do you want me to lie? is a world of lying preferable because its more comfortable?
Is the Muslim lying when they say Allah revealed a truth to them? The Hindu when they say one of their gods revealed a truth? A Mormon?

When these "revealed truths" are mutually exclusive, by what means can we tell which "truth" is actually true?
Being apathetic is great....or not. I don't really care.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #124

Post by Difflugia »

Inquirer wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:44 pmI am only speaking the truth, do you want me to lie? is a world of lying preferable because its more comfortable?
There's a difference between being honest and speaking the truth.

I have every reason to think that David Icke is honest. I have no reason to think that what he says is true.

I don't think you're lying, either.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #125

Post by Inquirer »

Jose Fly wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:51 pm
Inquirer wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:44 pm I am only speaking the truth, do you want me to lie? is a world of lying preferable because its more comfortable?
Is the Muslim lying when they say Allah revealed a truth to them? The Hindu when they say one of their gods revealed a truth? A Mormon?

When these "revealed truths" are mutually exclusive, by what means can we tell which "truth" is actually true?
Again, do you want me to lie? yes or no? is the question hard to understand?

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #126

Post by Jose Fly »

Inquirer wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:49 pm
I've always been amazed at how often some people have to be reminded that they're in a debate forum.
Jose, imagine just for a moment, just for the sake of argument that it is true (that you know it to be true), that only God can enable a person to see God's reality, that nobody can be aware of God until God want's that to happen - imagine it is true - then, what else could I say?
Sticking with the point of my post, you don't say things in a debate forum that you're not prepared to debate and defend. I mean, this place is literally titled "Debating Christianity and Religion" and you're bothered and/or confused when people challenge you on your claims about Christianity and religion?

Try and appreciate where you're at bro.

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #127

Post by Jose Fly »

Inquirer wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:53 pm
Jose Fly wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:51 pm

Again, do you want me to lie? yes or no? is the question hard to understand?
First, again....don't post things in debate forums that you're not prepared to debate. Duh.

Second, again....do you believe the Muslim, Hindu, and Mormon are lying about the truths their gods revealed to them?

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #128

Post by Inquirer »

Jose Fly wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:53 pm
Inquirer wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:49 pm
Sticking with the point of my post, you don't say things in a debate forum that you're not prepared to debate and defend. I mean, this place is literally titled "Debating Christianity and Religion" and you're bothered and/or confused when people challenge you on your claims about Christianity and religion?
Yes its a debating forum so respond to the question please, here it is again:
imagine it is true - then, what else could I say?
Jose Fly wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:53 pm Try and appreciate where you're at bro.
Why ask me a question if a truthful answer offends you? There are truths than cannot be proven Jose, I advise you to think about that, the problem you seem to be having is inside your mind, it originates within you, how you think.

As you say this is a debate, so answer my question. If in a debate the answer to a question is an unprovable truth, how should one respond to the question?

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #129

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Inquirer wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:30 pm
JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:13 pm Speling edit...
Inquirer wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:07 pm God has given me understanding, accept that or not as you see fit.
The beauty of such is all it takes is to say it.

Showing it to be truth, well that's a whole nother deal.
Why do you ask this of me?
When you extend me the courtesy of answering the questions I put to you, I'll be happy to answer them you put to me.
I have told you only God can reveal himself to us,
While failing to show your claim approaches it within light years of the truth.
asking me over and over to do something only God can do is obviously pointless, but go ahead, if it makes you feel better, if it gives you comfort.
A question mark is not found in my referenced response, indicating I presented a statement that ain't a question.

For those struggling to understand this, maybe a writing class could help.

Notice, dear observer, all we get is fussing at the temerity of me asking a question I didn't even ask.

Not an offer of how we might confirm the claimant speaks truth, just fussing on being non/asked to do it.

😆
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #130

Post by Inquirer »

Nobody here seems willing to answer this question:

If in a debate the answer to a question is an unprovable truth, how should one respond to the question?

I respond by stating that truth, you respond as you please. I care not.