Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Scientific thinking and common sense

Post #1

Post by Eloi »

I have noticed that sometimes people with a scientific mind, people who have studied a lot and know a lot of information about different sciences, do not notice simple things that do not escape the attention of ordinary people, even if they have studied less or almost nothing.

For example, the fact that the animals that evolutionists call "lower" in the evolutionary scale still live alongside humans, and that others supposedly fitter, because they are located in a higher position in the evolutionary line of man, no longer exist.

Evolutionary theory holds that as animals progressed up the evolutionary scale, they became more capable of surviving. Why, then, is the “inferior” ape family still in existence, but not a single one of the presumed intermediate forms, which were supposed to be more advanced in evolution? Today we see chimpanzees, gorillas and orangutans, but no “ape-men.” Does it seem likely that every one of the more recent and supposedly more advanced “links” between apelike creatures and modern man should have become extinct, but not the lower apes? https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1101985017

To what extent do you think the "wisdom" of this system of things can cloud a person's mind?

Jose Fly
Guru

Re: Scientific thinking and common sense

Post #131

Post by Jose Fly »

Inquirer wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:02 pm Yes its a debating forum so respond to the question please, here it is again:
imagine it is true - then, what else could I say?
Sheesh, try and keep up, okay?

Again, if you're not prepared to debate or defend it, then you say nothing about it in a forum that is specifically about debating religion.
Why ask me a question if a truthful answer offends you?
Nothing you've said about your "truth" offends me.
There are truths than cannot be proven Jose, I advise you to think about that, the problem you seem to be having is inside your mind, it originates within you, how you think.
Again, this isn't about proof...this is about making religious claims in a religious debate forum and then not understanding why those claims are questioned and challenged.

If this forum isn't the place to challenge and debate religious claims, exactly what do you think it is for?
As you say this is a debate, so answer my question.
And once again we see you demand others answer your questions, while you avoid theirs.
If in a debate the answer to a question is an unprovable truth, how should one respond to the question?
By defending and justifying it, or conceding that you can't.

Again, I'm amazed at how creationists seem to be completely baffled by the very concept of debate.
Being apathetic is great....or not. I don't really care.

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #132

Post by Inquirer »

Jose Fly wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:24 pm
Inquirer wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:02 pm Yes its a debating forum so respond to the question please, here it is again:
imagine it is true - then, what else could I say?
Sheesh, try and keep up, okay?

Again, if you're not prepared to debate or defend it, then you say nothing about it in a forum that is specifically about debating religion.
Why ask me a question if a truthful answer offends you?
Nothing you've said about your "truth" offends me.
There are truths than cannot be proven Jose, I advise you to think about that, the problem you seem to be having is inside your mind, it originates within you, how you think.
Again, this isn't about proof...this is about making religious claims in a religious debate forum and then not understanding why those claims are questioned and challenged.

If this forum isn't the place to challenge and debate religious claims, exactly what do you think it is for?
As you say this is a debate, so answer my question.
And once again we see you demand others answer your questions, while you avoid theirs.
If in a debate the answer to a question is an unprovable truth, how should one respond to the question?
By defending and justifying it, or conceding that you can't.

Again, I'm amazed at how creationists seem to be completely baffled by the very concept of debate.
Really? Jose an unprovable proposition cannot be "defended" or "justified" only asserted, like a self evident truth which in fact this is.

Your insults only weaken your case, your insulting insinuation that I am "baffled" has no place in polite discourse. Please stick to the subject, try, please try, to avoid attacking my character or presumed comprehension of the subject.

No Sir, you can complain and insult and insinuate all you wish, I will not refrain from stating a self evident truth simply because you disapprove of me doing so.

Your position is it seems "I want to discuss religion but only on my terms according to my rules", well awfully sorry buddy, but no can do.

You should also be aware that EVERY argument you could ever make here can be reduced to self evident truths, do you understand that?

By your reasoning the forum should be silent, because nobody can prove or defend any claim because all claims can be shown to rest on assumptions, self evident truths, go ahead try it and see, test me on this if you feel the need to.

Christ faced this same problem, he spoke the truth yet it was unpalatable to his fellow Jews, so they lied, accused him, tortured and executed him - yes, some people really do not like the truth sometimes. He could have lived if he had chosen to lie, but the truth was too important for that, that's what he demonstrated.

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #133

Post by Jose Fly »

Inquirer wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:39 pm Jose an unprovable proposition cannot be "defended" or "justified" only asserted, like a self evident truth which in fact this is.
I recommend you try and avoid black/white, binary thinking as much as you can. There is lots of space between proven and asserted.
Your insults only weaken your case, your insulting insinuation that I am "baffled" has no place in polite discourse. Please stick to the subject, try, please try, to avoid attacking my character or presumed comprehension of the subject.
Your problem is that my characterization is accurate. You did indeed express a level of confusion regarding why people were challenging your assertions.
No Sir, you can complain and insult and insinuate all you wish, I will not refrain from stating a self evident truth simply because you disapprove of me doing so.
So you think the proper way to behave in a forum titled "Debating Christianity and Religion" is to assert one's religious beliefs and get upset whenever those assertions are challenged?

Again I have to wonder what you think this forum is for, if not to debate Christianity and religion?
Your position is it seems "I want to discuss religion but only on my terms according to my rules", well awfully sorry buddy, but no can do.
Huh. I guess my impression was accurate. Creationists really don't understand the concept of debate.

My position is exactly what I've said all along. In a forum titled "Debating Christianity and Religion", the terms and rules for discussions in that forum include the concept that everything posted therein is subject to challenge and debate.

Why is that so difficult for you to grasp? Why come to a "debating religion" forum, make religious claims, and then get upset when people attempt to debate those claims?
You should also be aware that EVERY argument you could ever make here can be reduced to self evident truths, do you understand that?

By your reasoning the forum should be silent, because nobody can prove or defend any claim because all claims can be shown to rest on assumptions, self evident truths, go ahead try it and see, test me on this if you feel the need to.
Again, try and avoid black/white, binary thinking as much as you can.
Christ faced this same problem, he spoke the truth yet it was unpalatable to his fellow Jews, so they lied, accused him, tortured and executed him - yes, some people really do not like the truth sometimes.
You've not demonstrated anything to be "truth". Apparently you believe things become true simply because you declare them to be so. I hope you appreciate how it's not just me who's noticed that about you.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #134

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Inquirer wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:23 pm Nobody here seems willing to answer this question:

I respond by stating that truth, you respond as you please. I care not.
Maybe folks'd be more willing to answer your questions if you were more willing to answer theirs.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #135

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Inquirer wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:39 pm Your position is it seems "I want to discuss religion but only on my terms according to my rules", well awfully sorry buddy, but no can do.
Do you think biblical claims of the resurrection of Jesus are true?

I know, I know, you're confounded, when any iteration of "truth" gets mentioned.

My purpose here is to ensure the observer's aware you'll do you some of that which you accuse others of doing.
-Punkinhead Martin

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #136

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Inquirer wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:39 pm Christ faced this same problem, he spoke the truth yet it was unpalatable to his fellow Jews, so they lied, accused him, tortured and executed him - yes, some people really do not like the truth sometimes. He could have lived if he had chosen to lie, but the truth was too important for that, that's what he demonstrated.
Folks'll have em an easier time convincing me a Jesus they can't show existed spoke him the truth, than you'll ever have of convincing me you speak it.
-Punkinhead Martin

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #137

Post by Inquirer »

Jose Fly wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:58 pm
Inquirer wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:39 pm Jose an unprovable proposition cannot be "defended" or "justified" only asserted, like a self evident truth which in fact this is.
I recommend you try and avoid black/white, binary thinking as much as you can. There is lots of space between proven and asserted.
How that rebuts "Jose an unprovable proposition cannot be "defended" or "justified" only asserted, like a self evident truth which in fact this is." I don't know.
Your problem is that my characterization is accurate. You did indeed express a level of confusion regarding why people were challenging your assertions.
I don't have a problem but you might if you continue to resort to insults as a means of debating.
So you think the proper way to behave in a forum titled "Debating Christianity and Religion" is to assert one's religious beliefs and get upset whenever those assertions are challenged?
The proper way to behave is to remain polite and avoid the tactical use of insults.
Jose Fly wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:58 pm Again I have to wonder what you think this forum is for, if not to debate Christianity and religion?
It doesn't matter what I think "its for" I'm sure there are as many answers as there are members.
Huh. I guess my impression was accurate. Creationists really don't understand the concept of debate.
What a rude and sweeping insult Jose, this is uncalled for, many participants here are creationists, first you attack me and now you attack a whole group.
Jose Fly wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:58 pm My position is exactly what I've said all along. In a forum titled "Debating Christianity and Religion", the terms and rules for discussions in that forum include the concept that everything posted therein is subject to challenge and debate.

Why is that so difficult for you to grasp? Why come to a "debating religion" forum, make religious claims, and then get upset when people attempt to debate those claims?
By all means challenge me, I do not object to being (politely) challenged I think the record shows that rather well in my case. The fact is that a self-evident truth can only be affirmed, let me ask, do you understand what a self-evident truth is? you seem reticent to even talk about this, why is that?

How that rebuts "You should also be aware that EVERY argument you could ever make here can be reduced to self evident truths, do you understand that?" I don't know.
Christ faced this same problem, he spoke the truth yet it was unpalatable to his fellow Jews, so they lied, accused him, tortured and executed him - yes, some people really do not like the truth sometimes.
You've not demonstrated anything to be "truth". Apparently you believe things become true simply because you declare them to be so. I hope you appreciate how it's not just me who's noticed that about you.
I agree that I've not demonstrated a self evident truth to be true and neither can you, yet they do exist Jose. You reasoned "you believe things become true simply because you declare them to be so" which is to completely misunderstand everything I've been saying to you.

No, I believe that something doesn't become false simply because I cannot prove it to you, a very very very big difference Jose, do now understand what we're talking about?

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #138

Post by Jose Fly »

Inquirer wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:22 pm
How that rebuts "Jose an unprovable proposition cannot be "defended" or "justified" only asserted, like a self evident truth which in fact this is." I don't know.
I don't have a problem but you might if you continue to resort to insults as a means of debating.
The proper way to behave is to remain polite and avoid the tactical use of insults.
Jose Fly wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:58 pm Again I have to wonder what you think this forum is for, if not to debate Christianity and religion?
It doesn't matter what I think "its for" I'm sure there are as many answers as there are members.
What a rude and sweeping insult Jose, this is uncalled for, many participants here are creationists, first you attack me and now you attack a whole group.
Jose Fly wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:58 pm My position is exactly what I've said all along. In a forum titled "Debating Christianity and Religion", the terms and rules for discussions in that forum include the concept that everything posted therein is subject to challenge and debate.

By all means challenge me, I do not object to being (politely) challenged I think the record shows that rather well in my case. The fact is that a self-evident truth can only be affirmed, let me ask, do you understand what a self-evident truth is? you seem reticent to even talk about this, why is that?

How that rebuts "You should also be aware that EVERY argument you could ever make here can be reduced to self evident truths, do you understand that?" I don't know.
I agree that I've not demonstrated a self evident truth to be true and neither can you, yet they do exist Jose. You reasoned "you believe things become true simply because you declare them to be so" which is to completely misunderstand everything I've been saying to you.

No, I believe that something doesn't become false simply because I cannot prove it to you, a very very very big difference Jose, do now understand what we're talking about?
It seems we are using the term "self-evident truth" in different ways. You've been using it to refer to a mere assumption. I've been using it to refer to truths that don't need to be proven because they are very obvious.

So if your position here is "I assume I had a revelation from a god, I assume it was true and real, and I assume it was the Christian God" and nothing more, and you have zero interest in debating it or defending it, then as others have noted, you're just preaching. I'm not even really sure what you hoped to accomplish.

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #139

Post by Inquirer »

Jose Fly wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:50 pm
Inquirer wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:22 pm

It seems we are using the term "self-evident truth" in different ways. You've been using it to refer to a mere assumption. I've been using it to refer to truths that don't need to be proven because they are very obvious.
Yes that can happen, I may have used them interchangeably, but I don't think it materially effects my argument though. You see neither can be "shown" to be true and the essence of my disagreement with you is just that.

The question I posed was "If in a debate the answer to a question is an unprovable truth, how should one respond to the question?" and you replied "By defending and justifying it, or conceding that you can't".

I disagree with your answer, by definition a provable proposition differs from an unprovable proposition, the former can be defended and justified by some process of reasoning, the latter cannot - it can be true but no amount of reasoning can support or justify it, it just "is".

In fact "God reveals knowledge" is provable but only by God, I can't do what God can. Asking for support is pointless, all I can say is "God has revealed that he is real, to me" and that is that, it won't satisfy you but that's tough, it is still true.
Jose Fly wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:50 pm So if your position here is "I assume I had a revelation from a god, I assume it was true and real, and I assume it was the Christian God" and nothing more, and you have zero interest in debating it or defending it, then as others have noted, you're just preaching. I'm not even really sure what you hoped to accomplish.
No, asserting a self evident truth is not preaching if it is, explain the difference between preaching and not-preaching insofar as making unprovable assertions.

What is this talk of "you have zero interest in debating it or defending it"? how could that mean anything? can you debate or defend that you are a human being and not some remote AI software?

You cannot so why even bother trying? its not through disinterest or avoidance that I don't debate "God reveals himself to us" it is because it is as futile as you debating or defending "I am a person not an AI package". In principle anything a person can say a machine could say, so there is no way to distinguish by discourse, this is called the Turing Test.

The confirmation you seek can only come from God and that is his prerogative and he acts as he wants when he wants so suit his purpose - in fact that very statement is revealed knowledge, I'm giving you nuggets here, they were given to me and I'm sharing them freely with you.

I don't expect or condemn you for not accepting what I say, I would and did do the same once, but don't make the logical error of dismissing it as false, as a delusion, religious devotion, unprovable claptrap, just keep an open mind, that's all, what possible harm can that do?

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #140

Post by Jose Fly »

Inquirer wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:08 pm Yes that can happen, I may have used them interchangeably, but I don't think it materially effects my argument though.
It most certainly affects your argument (although I hesitate to call what you're doing an "argument").

If by "self-evident truth" you mean "assumption", then there is no debate to be had. It's just something you assume to be true.

If by "self-evident truth" you mean "so obvious that no support is required", then that is most certainly debatable. The first thing that comes to mind is how you justify declaring your conclusions about revelations and gods to be "obvious".
You see neither can be "shown" to be true and the essence of my disagreement with you is just that.
Oh yes they can. That many fish swim in water is a self-evident truth in the "obvious" sense. It's so self-evident that it's not even a topic that's up for debate.

"The Christian God came to me and revealed X" is not like that at all.
The question I posed was "If in a debate the answer to a question is an unprovable truth, how should one respond to the question?" and you replied "By defending and justifying it, or conceding that you can't".

I disagree with your answer, by definition a provable proposition differs from an unprovable proposition, the former can be defended and justified by some process of reasoning, the latter cannot - it can be true but no amount of reasoning can support or justify it, it just "is".
Again, I urge you to avoid black/white, binary thinking and appreciate that there is a great deal of space between "proven" and "merely assumed".
In fact "God reveals knowledge" is provable but only by God, I can't do what God can. Asking for support is pointless, all I can say is "God has revealed that he is real, to me" and that is that, it won't satisfy you but that's tough, it is still true.
That's a self-evident truth in the former, "assumption" sense. It most certainly is not one in the "it's so obvious no debate is necessary" sense.
No, asserting a self evident truth is not preaching
It is if you're asserting an assumed self-evident truth that is specifically about revelations from gods. In fact, that's what a lot of preaching is!
What is this talk of "you have zero interest in debating it or defending it"? how could that mean anything? can you debate or defend that you are a human being and not some remote AI software?
Easy. Have the person posing the question clearly define terms and give criteria for each category, then demonstrate how I meet the criteria for "human being".
You cannot so why even bother trying?
Just because you can't, that doesn't mean no one else can.
its not through disinterest or avoidance that I don't debate "God reveals himself to us" it is because it is as futile as you debating or defending "I am a person not an AI package". In principle anything a person can say a machine could say, so there is no way to distinguish by discourse, this is called the Turing Test.
So your "self-evident truths" about revelations from gods is in the "assumed" category. Okay.
The confirmation you seek can only come from God and that is his prerogative and he acts as he wants when he wants so suit his purpose - in fact that very statement is revealed knowledge, I'm giving you nuggets here, they were given to me and I'm sharing them freely with you.
You're sharing what you assume to be revelations from a god.
I don't expect or condemn you for not accepting what I say, I would and did do the same once, but don't make the logical error of dismissing it as false, as a delusion, religious devotion, unprovable claptrap, just keep an open mind, that's all, what possible harm can that do?
I'll ask you for the third or fourth time now....what do you do with claims of revelations from gods that are mutually exclusive with the revelations you believe you've received?