Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

Rose2020
Scholar

Quakers

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

Have we any Quakers here?

I would love to know more about this way of life and worship. I was listening to a programme about the work of Elizabeth Fry in prison reform. What a lady!

I have always been very impressed about the way Quakers have done so much good for society through running highly successful businesses. It seems a great expression of Christianity, to actually live it.

Yet I would like to know about their beliefs on the Bible. Is the theology sound?

Tcg
Savant

Re: Quakers

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:28 am Have we any Quakers here?

I would love to know more about this way of life and worship. I was listening to a programme about the work of Elizabeth Fry in prison reform. What a lady!

I have always been very impressed about the way Quakers have done so much good for society through running highly successful businesses. It seems a great expression of Christianity, to actually live it.

Yet I would like to know about their beliefs on the Bible. Is the theology sound?
I'm not a Quaker, but I attended Quaker Meeting, as an atheist by the way, for many years in my former hometown. The first thing you may find interesting is that not all Quakers consider themselves Christians. What some may find as odd is that some nontheist Quakers do consider themselves Christians. Obviously, Quakers hold quite diverse opinions.

This diversity may be best understood and explained by realizing that their guiding principle is the concept of the inner-light also sometimes called the light within. They don't hold to a set of doctrines and certainly not ones from the Bible, but rather that each individual has the ability to access the divine (this is not necessarily a concept of God although some would interpret it that way) and each individual can therefore present truth or that which is profitable for other humans.

The Quakers, officially known as "The Religious Society of Friends", have a rather good presence on the internet and a great deal of info. can be found directly from them. I'd suggest you research further from these sources as I've really just scratched the surface.

Here's one that may address your question about the Bible:
Do Quakers Read the Bible?

The Bible is a book close to the hearts of many Friends. Many Quakers turn to the Hebrew and Christian scriptures for inspiration, insight, and guidance. They are valued as a source of wisdom that has been sacred to many generations. Quakers are informed by Biblical scholarship that offers perspective on the creation of the Bible and the understanding we have of it today. Most Quakers do not consider the Bible to be the final authority or the only source of sacred wisdom. We read it in the context of other religious writings and sources of wisdom, including the Light Within and worshipful community discernment. Some Quakers have little interest in the Bible. For more on this topic, see the QuakerSpeak video How Quakers Read the Bible.

https://www.fgcquaker.org/quakerism/
Quakers refer to their Sunday meetings as "Quaker Meeting" or simply "Meeting" and the buildings they meet in as "Meeting Houses." They are a very small group and depending on where you live it may be hard to find a Meeting. I used to live in Northeast U.S. where there were many Meetings. I'm of course not trying to convert you to Quakerism, but if you are curious, you may be able to find a Meeting near you.

I should note too, that the Meeting I attended practiced what is known as silent worship. There was no sermon presented or even any prepared teaching. As the name implies, it was mostly silent, and some folks would speak briefly if they were moved to do so. Some Meetings have programmed meetings which would be more similar to what would be thought of as a traditional Church meeting.

ETA: I just did a couple test searches and I seemed to find more from the Quakers themselves by searching on "religious society of friends."

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #3

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Tcg in post #2]

Thankyou, I find that very intriguing.i certainly will look further into the Quaker way of life. I love their peaceful outlook and all the practical good they do.

Tcg
Savant

Post #4

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:16 am [Replying to Tcg in post #2]

Thankyou, I find that very intriguing.i certainly will look further into the Quaker way of life. I love their peaceful outlook and all the practical good they do.
You're welcome. Oh, and by the way, and you of course don't seem to be guilty of this, some have the misconception that Quakers today dress like the Quaker Oats man or that they live like the Amish. This is far from the truth. They do value simplicity, but they couldn't be identified by the way they dress and don't reject the modern.

Not to pile on too much info., but one of the historic Quakers I respect a great deal is a man named John Woolman. He was an early (prerevolutionary war) abolitionist. Here's a link if you're interested: https://www.quakersintheworld.org/quake ... hn-Woolman

When my son was young, we used to perform musically at an annual John Woolman Memorial benefit. A few years later he asked me, "Dad what's the name of that man who freed the slaves?" 'Oh, you mean Abraham Lincoln?' "No, that other guy." 'Oh, John Woolman.' "Yeah, that's it."

And as you say, Quakers continue to do practical good in the world today.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #5

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Tcg in post #4]

Thanks. I have noted John Woolman and certainly am interested in his life, I shall read about him. While Christians rage in their arguments over doctrine and theology etc, it seems to me the Quakers have quietly been living very powerful lives of great industry and building good for others. A practical, simple and peaceful way of life.

Tcg
Savant

Post #6

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:56 am [Replying to Tcg in post #4]

Thanks. I have noted John Woolman and certainly am interested in his life, I shall read about him. While Christians rage in their arguments over doctrine and theology etc, it seems to me the Quakers have quietly been living very powerful lives of great industry and building good for others. A practical, simple and peaceful way of life.
Yes, not perfect of course, but a shining example of what humans can achieve. I won't mention the other charity, but when I was active with the Quakers, I knew a young couple that both came down with serious illnesses at the same time and couldn't work. They applied for but didn't "qualify" to receive help from the charity. For the Quakers the qualification was that they were in need. They qualified and received aid.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #7

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Tcg in post #6]

It looks like Quakers earn the respect of all. I really like all I can see, they DO and LIVE the love of God rather than just preach. Like helping the young couple without fuss. This quiet attitude towards one's fellow man appeals hugely to me.

I have downloaded books about Quaker way of life. Also about Elizabeth Fry, what a difference she made, leaving the world a better place especially for women prisoners.

Tcg
Savant

Post #8

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:57 am [Replying to Tcg in post #6]

It looks like Quakers earn the respect of all. I really like all I can see, they DO and LIVE the love of God rather than just preach. Like helping the young couple without fuss. This quiet attitude towards one's fellow man appeals hugely to me.

I have downloaded books about Quaker way of life. Also about Elizabeth Fry, what a difference she made, leaving the world a better place especially for women prisoners.
Just a slight correction, not all Quakers consider the inner-light to be God. Some consider its source to be from humans ourselves. Quakers DO and LIVE love for fellow humans no matter what they consider the source of that love to be.

Tcg

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #9

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Tcg in post #8]
I am glad we are in mainly common ground here, if you agree?
I think Quakers have got something right that a lot of religious people definitely have not. I am going to explore more of their beliefs before I can say much more, that is always best.

Yes I acknowledge that point you make about the inner light. It is important to look carefully what their belief system actually is.

Tcg
Savant

Post #10

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:48 am [Replying to Tcg in post #8]
I am glad we are in mainly common ground here, if you agree?
I think Quakers have got something right that a lot of religious people definitely have not. I am going to explore more of their beliefs before I can say much more, that is always best.

Yes I acknowledge that point you make about the inner light. It is important to look carefully what their belief system actually is.
It's a bit more than just understanding their beliefs. The fact is their actions which benefit so many others isn't dependent on the belief in God. There is no reason to conclude that loving others is dependent on god/gods. Humans love other humans simply because they are humans. We don't need a God in order to do so.

Tcg