evolutionary attack

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

evolutionary attack

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Is there a word for when one creature convinces another creature to not do something in its evolutionary interest?

Like when a cuckoo bird takes over a nest and the other bird feeds it thinking it is feeding its children?

Or more to my point, if I can convince someone they are gay or should not have children because of the planet or there is no God - what would be the word for that?
Last edited by Wootah on Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Tcg
Savant

Re: evolutionary attack

Post #21

Post by Tcg »

Wootah wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:24 pm
Or more to my point, if I can convince someone they are gay or should not have children because of the planet or there is no God - what would be the word for that?
The word you are looking for is fantasy. You, and not you alone, no one can convince anyone of any of any of these things. Folks can realize that they are gay. Folks can decide not to have children. Folks can realize that they aren't convinced that god/gods exist. None of this relies on you or any other humans other than the humans that come to these realizations/decisions on their own.

Another pertinent word is mystery. It is a mystery as to why this would be a question related to evolution or an attack.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #22

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Tcg wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:59 am
The word you are looking for is fantasy. You, and not you alone, no one can convince anyone of any of any of these things. Folks can realize that they are gay. Folks can decide not to have children. Folks can realize that they aren't convinced that god/gods exist. None of this relies on you or any other humans other than the humans that come to these realizations/decisions on their own.

Another pertinent word is mystery. It is a mystery as to why this would be a question related to evolution or an attack.
It is kinda odd how so often Christians see sex in so many diverse topics.

Or, "If we allow X, we gotta allow bestiality". The mind wobbles.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Tcg
Savant

Post #23

Post by Tcg »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:25 am
Tcg wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:59 am

Or pedophilia, oh, wait, yeah, we know that many religious organizations allow that to happen by covering up the crimes that are committed by their leadership. But if consenting ADULTS want to have consensual gay sex (notice how I've emphasized they agree to it), that's a no-no.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

brunumb
Savant

Post #24

Post by brunumb »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:25 am

I wrote the following in another thread but it seems pertinent as a follow up to your comment.

Maybe a topic for another thread but for the life of me I don't understand this obsession with homosexuality among religious people. If it was so offensive to God, with his great omnipotence and profound intelligence he could have designed us without it being possible. In any case, it has been around for millennia. The sky hasn't fallen and the population is growing at an uncomfortably fast rate. It does not prevent heterosexual people from doing their thing. Why the great hangup?

And, why the rampant hatred? Just about every day there is another report of a pastor inciting people and calling for the government to actually execute gays. On the other hand, there are just as many reports of pastors sexually abusing people, including young children, but these more or less just get brushed aside. Which is actually more harmful to people and society in general?
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #25

Post by Jose Fly »

brunumb wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:43 am And, why the rampant hatred? Just about every day there is another report of a pastor inciting people and calling for the government to actually execute gays. On the other hand, there are just as many reports of pastors sexually abusing people, including young children, but these more or less just get brushed aside. Which is actually more harmful to people and society in general?
White evangelical Christians have always hated on someone, be they blacks, Jews, Catholics, Native Americans, Muslims, LGBTQs....

The obvious conclusion is that they're a very tribal group of people who tend to hate and persecute "others". The only thing that changes over time is the target.
Being apathetic is great....or not. I don't really care.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #26

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Jose Fly wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:23 pm
brunumb wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:43 am And, why the rampant hatred? Just about every day there is another report of a pastor inciting people and calling for the government to actually execute gays. On the other hand, there are just as many reports of pastors sexually abusing people, including young children, but these more or less just get brushed aside. Which is actually more harmful to people and society in general?
White evangelical Christians have always hated on someone, be they blacks, Jews, Catholics, Native Americans, Muslims, LGBTQs....

The obvious conclusion is that they're a very tribal group of people who tend to hate and persecute "others". The only thing that changes over time is the target.
Why are you suppressing my right to oppress you?!

Don't forget that whole Christians're being persecuted bunch. Of Americans.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #27

Post by Difflugia »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:25 amIt is kinda odd how so often Christians see sex in so many diverse topics.

It's illuminating to read Ken Ham's creationist opus The Lie: Evolution. To hear Ken tell it, evolution is all about the gays.

The words "homosexual" or "homosexuality" appear 20 times in a 180-page book that's nominally about evolution.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

brunumb
Savant

Post #28

Post by brunumb »

Difflugia wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:41 pm It's illuminating to read Ken Ham's creationist opus The Lie: Evolution. To hear Ken tell it, evolution is all about the gays.
This stuck out when I took a look at the link you provided:
Chapter 8
The Evils of Evolution
The growing acceptance of atheistic evolution has resulted in many rejected God as Created. Over the years, many have used evolution to justify sinful behavior.
I can't recall ever encountering anyone who used evolution of all things to justify sinful behavior. It's just too funny. Ham seems to pluck things out of the air and I'm guessing that his fan club laps it up without a second thought.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Wootah
Savant

Post #29

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to Tcg in post #21]

Fantasy is a huge part of it.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Post #30

Post by Wootah »

brunumb wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:06 am
Difflugia wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:41 pm It's illuminating to read Ken Ham's creationist opus The Lie: Evolution. To hear Ken tell it, evolution is all about the gays.
This stuck out when I took a look at the link you provided:
Chapter 8
The Evils of Evolution
The growing acceptance of atheistic evolution has resulted in many rejected God as Created. Over the years, many have used evolution to justify sinful behavior.
I can't recall ever encountering anyone who used evolution of all things to justify sinful behavior. It's just too funny. Ham seems to pluck things out of the air and I'm guessing that his fan club laps it up without a second thought.
Columbine killers - literally wore a t shirt saying natural selection.
They also wrote this, “Sometime in april me and V (Klebold) will get revenge and will kick natural selection up a few notches,”

Source
https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna12370508