Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

historia
Prodigy

Atheist villains

Post #1

Post by historia »

wiploc wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:50 pm
I look on [William Lane] Craig as dishonest, a mountebank, a flamboyant charlatan.
The Nice Centurion wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:25 am
[Bart Ehrman] was called out by [Richard] Carrier and other peers for giving false evidence misinfomating the public.
Reacted only with either Arrogance or not at all, proving that the lies are intended.
One of the things I've noticed over the many years participating on this forum is that some of the atheists here have a great personal dislike of certain authors -- in particular William Lane Craig and Bart Ehrman.

It's not just that they disagree with Ehrman and Craig about particular conclusions they have reached. Rather, these atheists (of which the two quotes above are just examples) feel that these authors are being in some sense dishonest.

I don't always agree with Craig or Ehrman, but I've never seen them as dishonest, so I'm always a bit surprised by such assertions.

Questions for debate:

(a) Is William Lane Craig dishonest?

(b) Is Bart Ehrman dishonest?

(c) If not, why do some atheists here think they are?

Difflugia
Prodigy

Re: Atheist villains

Post #21

Post by Difflugia »

historia wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:18 pmI don't always agree with Craig or Ehrman, but I've never seen them as dishonest, so I'm always a bit surprised by such assertions.

Questions for debate:

I've mentioned this before, but William Lane Craig is dishonest in ways that are considered acceptable in forensic debate, but not academic debate. It's exactly the reason that lawyers have a reputation for being dishonest, despite most lawyers being honest to a fault, at least by a specific definition of honesty. As far as I can tell, his academic work is honest and rigorous by academic standards. His debates and apologetic arguments would be considered dishonest by those standards, generally in the form of "half-truths" that omit important details or give an impression different than the literal truth of the statement. He also likes to make claims about "most scholars," but his methodology for such claims is completely opaque, even in his footnoted, published works. When Craig is judged as dishonest, he's arguing as a lawyer does, but being judged as one would a scientist.

If that description alone doesn't make what's going on immediately obvious, pick any of his debate transcripts. He uses the same tactics and often repeats the same arguments, so if you don't think one is representative, pick another. I'll be using the first transcript from this list.

In general, most of Craig's "facts" are debated by scholars and when he implies any sort of consensus ("most critics"), he is tight-lipped about how he arrives at his conclusions. Presenting these literally as "facts" with little or no qualification, as he does here, would be considered dishonest in academic discourse. Since virtually everything he claims falls into this category, I won't be picking them out individually.

Here are speific examples of statements that are dishonest for other reasons.

Opening statement:
  • "Mark is an instance of ancient biography, not creative Jewish storytelling." Ancient biography includes creative storytelling. I would expect Dr. Craig to know that.
  • "Matthew and John have independent sources about the empty tomb." This is debated, but Craig presents is as unqualified fact
  • "In Mark’s account, there is no proof from prophecy cited..." In Mark, prophecy is only quoted by Jesus. Since Dr. Craig is talking about the empty tomb scene, Jesus wasn't present. Perhaps someone less familiar with the Gospels than Dr. Craig might be honestly sloppy or honestly fail to notice, but the lack of prophecy doesn't mean what Dr. Craig wants it to imply.
First rebuttal:
  • "Dr. Crossley didn’t offer any refutation for this; indeed in his work he indicates he believes in the historicity of Jesus’ burial in the tomb." Dr. Crossley just finished his opening statement. He was not expected to rebut anything Dr. Craig said in his opening statement. This is rhetorically dishonest.
  • "And as Dr. Crossley admitted in his last speech, in dealing with the Gospels we are talking about a genre of historical writing, namely ancient biography, not anecdotal creative storytelling." As it was in his opening statement, this is again a false dichotomy. The difference now is that Dr. Crossley has explained that ancient biography and creative storytelling are not mutually exclusive. If, somehow, Dr. Craig didn't know that to start with, he does now. While I wouldn't expect Dr. Craig to concede such a point in the middle of a forensic debate, such concessions are expected during academic debate. To one more familiar with the latter than the former, Dr. Craig appears dishonest.
Anyway, I hope I've made my point, mostly because I'd rather not read the rest of the debate. Dr. Craig is honest when viewed through a very particular lens It's a valid one, but at the same time, it's not the one through which most are viewing the material. Atheists and Christians alike think that Dr. Craig's arguments are intended to be honest beyond the adversarial contexts of forensic debate and Christian apologetics. I don't think they are.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Diogenes
Guru

Post #22

Post by Diogenes »

historia wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:18 pm One of the things I've noticed over the many years participating on this forum is that some of the atheists here have a great personal dislike of certain authors -- in particular William Lane Craig and Bart Ehrman.

It's not just that they disagree with Ehrman and Craig about particular conclusions they have reached. Rather, these atheists (of which the two quotes above are just examples) feel that these authors are being in some sense dishonest.

I don't always agree with Craig or Ehrman, but I've never seen them as dishonest, so I'm always a bit surprised by such assertions.
I don't understand lumping Ehrman with Craig. I agree Ehrman is an honest scholar. Craig is neither. W. L. Craig is a polemicist, an advocate, a debater, not a scholar. He is not someone interested in truth. He is interested in his own way. I see NO comparison between him and Ehrman.

Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves

— Confucius

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #23

Post by Bust Nak »

[Replying to historia in post #1]

Richard Dawkins once said this of creationists, they are either "ignorant, stupid or insane (or wicked, but I'd rather not consider that.)" Think of people treating the authors mentioned in the OP as dishonest as a variation of that quote, given their scholarly backgrounds, it's pretty safe to rule out the first 3 alternatives. Perhaps they should take it as a compliment.

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #24

Post by The Nice Centurion »

Diogenes wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:58 pm
historia wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:18 pm One of the things I've noticed over the many years participating on this forum is that some of the atheists here have a great personal dislike of certain authors -- in particular William Lane Craig and Bart Ehrman.

I don't understand lumping Ehrman with Craig. I agree Ehrman is an honest scholar. Craig is neither. W. L. Craig is a polemicist, an advocate, a debater, not a scholar. He is not someone interested in truth. He is interested in his own way. I see NO comparison between him and Ehrman.
But a dishonest author is even worse, for more and longer damaging, than a dishonest debater.

I give that I never looked into Craigs debates personally. Richard Carrier describes him as a presuppositinalist christian. (Meaning for example: if he would time travel and see that the crucification never happened, he would stay convinced that it happened.) People claim he isnt honest in debate, but I cant assure that firsthand. One of this days I should watch his debating videos.

Bart E. on the other hand was at last dishonest with his book "Did Jesus exist". I read the blog war between him and Carrier in detail. I also purchased his book exactly because Carrier warned not to buy it. And I am glad, for it is interesting for me as a layman to know how an abominable bad book about Jesus historicity reads.
Bart E. not only writes dishonest untrue facts, he also reacts with silence, more lies or arrogance to carrier calling him out on them.
And thats why in my and Carriers eyes he is done for!
(Even a layman can easily doublecheck Bart E.s intended Errors!)

Shocking is the fact that this didnt hurt much on Bart E.s reputation. So many people reading that book will continue to get horribly misinformed.

Here again everything in detail:
https://www.richardcarrier.info/archives/1794
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #25

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Difflugia wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:55 pm
historia wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:18 pmI don't always agree with Craig or Ehrman, but I've never seen them as dishonest, so I'm always a bit surprised by such assertions.

Questions for debate:

I've mentioned this before, but William Lane Craig is dishonest in ways that are considered acceptable in forensic debate, but not academic debate. It's exactly the reason that lawyers have a reputation for being dishonest, despite most lawyers being honest to a fault, at least by a specific definition of honesty. As far as I can tell, his academic work is honest and rigorous by academic standards. His debates and apologetic arguments would be considered dishonest by those standards, generally in the form of "half-truths" that omit important details or give an impression different than the literal truth of the statement. He also likes to make claims about "most scholars," but his methodology for such claims is completely opaque, even in his footnoted, published works. When Craig is judged as dishonest, he's arguing as a lawyer does, but being judged as one would a scientist.

If that description alone doesn't make what's going on immediately obvious, pick any of his debate transcripts. He uses the same tactics and often repeats the same arguments, so if you don't think one is representative, pick another. I'll be using the first transcript from this list.

In general, most of Craig's "facts" are debated by scholars and when he implies any sort of consensus ("most critics"), he is tight-lipped about how he arrives at his conclusions. Presenting these literally as "facts" with little or no qualification, as he does here, would be considered dishonest in academic discourse. Since virtually everything he claims falls into this category, I won't be picking them out individually.

Here are speific examples of statements that are dishonest for other reasons.

Opening statement:
  • "Mark is an instance of ancient biography, not creative Jewish storytelling." Ancient biography includes creative storytelling. I would expect Dr. Craig to know that.
  • "Matthew and John have independent sources about the empty tomb." This is debated, but Craig presents is as unqualified fact
  • "In Mark’s account, there is no proof from prophecy cited..." In Mark, prophecy is only quoted by Jesus. Since Dr. Craig is talking about the empty tomb scene, Jesus wasn't present. Perhaps someone less familiar with the Gospels than Dr. Craig might be honestly sloppy or honestly fail to notice, but the lack of prophecy doesn't mean what Dr. Craig wants it to imply.
First rebuttal:
  • "Dr. Crossley didn’t offer any refutation for this; indeed in his work he indicates he believes in the historicity of Jesus’ burial in the tomb." Dr. Crossley just finished his opening statement. He was not expected to rebut anything Dr. Craig said in his opening statement. This is rhetorically dishonest.
  • "And as Dr. Crossley admitted in his last speech, in dealing with the Gospels we are talking about a genre of historical writing, namely ancient biography, not anecdotal creative storytelling." As it was in his opening statement, this is again a false dichotomy. The difference now is that Dr. Crossley has explained that ancient biography and creative storytelling are not mutually exclusive. If, somehow, Dr. Craig didn't know that to start with, he does now. While I wouldn't expect Dr. Craig to concede such a point in the middle of a forensic debate, such concessions are expected during academic debate. To one more familiar with the latter than the former, Dr. Craig appears dishonest.
Anyway, I hope I've made my point, mostly because I'd rather not read the rest of the debate. Dr. Craig is honest when viewed through a very particular lens It's a valid one, but at the same time, it's not the one through which most are viewing the material. Atheists and Christians alike think that Dr. Craig's arguments are intended to be honest beyond the adversarial contexts of forensic debate and Christian apologetics. I don't think they are.
That's excellent as a primer. I've had a look at some of the links and there is a purpose in having debates and disagreements, not only between theists and atheists but in their own camps. It is how points of dispute are resolved.

Yes, Dr. Lane Craig IS a presuppositionalist, which is a position to take but will come under question because the Basis is not there other than trusting the Bible and opting for faith based dismissal when it fails to support that supposition.

I would like to see some salient disputes (either between Carrier and Ehrmann or between Lane - Craig and the others) and see what seems the best argument. I remember being very surprised (and even alarmed) when one of these (I think it was Carrier) said that Persia was hated by the Jews. Well, he may have meant the Romans, or even the Macedonians, but they were fine with the Persians. Cyrus was even regarded as a Messiah for being used by God to free the Jews from Exile. From then on so long as the Jews didn't rebel Persia was cool with them; and as long as Persia left their religion alone, the Jews were fine with them. The 2nd temple even had a 'Susa gate' in honour of the Persian capital.

Just sayin' anything and anyone can be questioned.

Presupposition is rife and rampant in this :

"Mark is an instance of ancient biography, not creative Jewish storytelling." Ancient biography includes creative storytelling. I would expect Dr. Craig to know that.
"Matthew and John have independent sources about the empty tomb." This is debated, but Craig presents is as unqualified fact
"In Mark’s account, there is no proof from prophecy cited..." In Mark, prophecy is only quoted by Jesus. Since Dr. Craig is talking about the empty tomb scene, Jesus wasn't present. Perhaps someone less familiar with the Gospels than Dr. Craig might be honestly sloppy or honestly fail to notice, but the lack of prophecy doesn't mean what Dr. Craig wants it to imply."

I get the point 1. This sounds like saying what happened, not OT Mythology. But that doesn't make it right, nor does it make Jewish Myth wrong as Lane - Craig believes the Flood (even saying that all the wicked babies had it coming ...don't ever make me Dictator, as my first order would be to put Lane - Craig on trial for extreme social antipathy)

2 Matthew (he means the synoptics) and John have different stories built on the claim of an empty tomb. That was Claimed to impart credibility (as all 4 agree the empty tomb) but that is (I argue) the basic claim of the resurrection and the contradiction eliminates Mark and John as independent confirmation rather than independent fabrication. Either Lane -Craig hasn't considered that (admittedly, few do consider it) or he doesn't care. After all Evidence doesn't matter - Faith does. That's what Presuppositionalism does.

It's pretty weak to say that Mark has no prophecy. That somehow makes it more credible eyewitness? The fact that Matthew generates reams of Prophecy, just as Luke generates reams of parables and John spews carboys of turgid sermons by no means adds credibility to Mark as such, though true, it does make his version look the earliest to the story.

I've said before that I don't think that Lane - Craig on the Resurrection has any real case. Though he may cleverly dress up problems to look like frank honesty about eyewitness slips, just as a brutal contradiction is supposed to show they are both credible eyewitnesses. There is nothing to do but disagree and say just why.

historia
Prodigy

Post #26

Post by historia »

Some minor points:
The Nice Centurion wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:46 pm
Richard Carrier describes him as a presuppositinalist christian.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:15 am
Dr. Lane Craig IS a presuppositionalist
Presuppositionalism refers to a particular methodology of Christian apologetics. William Lane Craig is not a presuppositionalist. He follows what is often termed the 'classical' method instead. In fact, he's often criticized by presuppositionalists, so it's a bit odd to see people describing him as one.

Also, TRANSPONDER, it's odd that you keep referring to him as "Lane Craig" or "Lane-Craig." Lane is his middle name.

Tcg
Savant

Post #27

Post by Tcg »

historia wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:54 am Also, TRANSPONDER, it's odd that you keep referring to him as "Lane Craig" or "Lane-Craig." Lane is his middle name.
So what, it's obvious in context who TRANSPONDER is referring to. Anyone who is confused by it probably doesn't who the dude is so there'd be no reason for them to care. Anyone who knows who the dude is knows who is being referred to. Picking nits is such a waste of time.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #28

Post by Inquirer »

Difflugia wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:55 pm Opening statement:
That's like saying a person who said "It rained on Wednesday" is being dishonest if it actually rained Tuesday night through Wednesday morning.
Difflugia wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:55 pm [*]"Matthew and John have independent sources about the empty tomb." This is debated, but Craig presents is as unqualified fact.
Yes, its controversial but almost anything can be regarded as controversial in which case everyone of us is being dishonest every time we speak. There are aspects of many subjects that are controversial that does not mean that one's personal view cannot be stated as definitive. I regard the fossil record as evidence of discontinuity and others do not, they say it is not as if it were unqualified fact yet it is not.
Difflugia wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:55 pm [*]"In Mark’s account, there is no proof from prophecy cited..." In Mark, prophecy is only quoted by Jesus. Since Dr. Craig is talking about the empty tomb scene, Jesus wasn't present. Perhaps someone less familiar with the Gospels than Dr. Craig might be honestly sloppy or honestly fail to notice, but the lack of prophecy doesn't mean what Dr. Craig wants it to imply.[/list]
What did he imply in your view or more to the point, what did you infer?
Difflugia wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:55 pm Anyway, I hope I've made my point, mostly because I'd rather not read the rest of the debate. Dr. Craig is honest when viewed through a very particular lens It's a valid one, but at the same time, it's not the one through which most are viewing the material. Atheists and Christians alike think that Dr. Craig's arguments are intended to be honest beyond the adversarial contexts of forensic debate and Christian apologetics. I don't think they are.
Can you share an example of a debate - perhaps a transcript - in which one of the participants is honest through all of these "lenses"? that is not guilty of dishonesty in the sense you allege Craig is?

If Craig is to be regarded as dishonest on the basis of these examples then we are all guilty of dishonesty all the time.

historia
Prodigy

Post #29

Post by historia »

Tcg wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:08 am
historia wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:54 am
Also, TRANSPONDER, it's odd that you keep referring to him as "Lane Craig" or "Lane-Craig." Lane is his middle name.
So what, it's obvious in context who TRANSPONDER is referring to.
Sure, but rhetorically it reflects poorly on someone trying to critique an author if they get basic facts about the author and his positions wrong. Correcting those elementary mistakes will lend greater credence to TRANSPONDER's arguments going forward.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #30

Post by Difflugia »

Inquirer wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:21 pm
Difflugia wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:55 pm Opening statement:
That's like saying a person who said "It rained on Wednesday" is being dishonest if it actually rained Tuesday night through Wednesday morning.
No, that would be if Dr. Craig said, "Mark is an instance of ancient biography," and left it at that. For your analogy to be apt, the hypothetical person would say in the same situation, "it rained on Wednesday, not on Tuesday."
Inquirer wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:21 pmWhat did he imply in your view or more to the point, what did you infer?
I'm not playing word games with you. If you have some claim to make, then make it.
Inquirer wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:21 pmIf Craig is to be regarded as dishonest on the basis of these examples then we are all guilty of dishonesty all the time.
That may be the first nos quoque fallacy I've ever seen. Bravo.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.