Christian nationalism

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Realworldjack
Guru

Christian nationalism

Post #1

Post by Realworldjack »

I want to start out here by saying that I have been on this site for a good number of years now, as a regular contributor. However, it has been a good number of months since I have participated here on this site. The reason for this is the fact that I became convinced that I needed to begin to focus my attention, in order to debate fellow Christians. With this being said, I would like to share my response concerning a blog of a fellow Christian, who is a pastor of a large Church who has a large following which I have just submitted. I do not intend to identify who this pastor is. Rather, I would simply like to share my response to this particular pastor in order to receive feedback from both Christians, and all others as well, concerning my response. My main focus here is, what should unite all of us as, Americans. With this being the case, please pay special attention to the last three paragraphs. It is my hope that all of us as Americans can find a way to be united together, in spite of some differences we may have.

Below is my response to this pastor,
realworldjack" wrote:There are a number of issues I would like to discuss, debate, and challenge, in this, and other posts, as far as your stance concerning such things as Christian reconstruction, theonomy, theocracy, and Christian Nationalism. However, this would be long and drawn out, and would require a lot of time, energy, and space, which would cause the conversation to become bogged down. Therefore, with that in mind I want to attempt to tackle a couple of issues, in order for the issues to be fully addressed.

In your post entitled, "Free Speech in a Christian Theocracy" you refer to Paul giving us,

"explicit and free permission to keep company with idolators who would worship Aphrodite by fornicating with prostitutes at her temple."

You are correct, and I would argue this also gives us permission to associate with the Muslim, Jew, homosexual, abortionists, etc. of our day. You go on to say, we are not given this permission, "because we are now instructed to make our peace with such idolatry—far from it." Rather, according to you,

"Our mission remains the same, which is to bring every thought captive."

Here I would have to assume you are referring to the passage in 2 Corinthians chapter 10, and you must be, because just a few sentences later you actually quote this passage. You go on to tell us, our mission as the Church "is the eradication of idolatry in the entire world." Since this is a huge endeavor you ask, how are we to accomplish such a task, and refer us to the passage mentioned above, as if this passage is explaining to us as Christians, these mighty weapons we have at our disposal, and commanding us as Christians to, "take every thought captive" and by being commanded by Paul to "take every thought captive" this would include our interaction with those outside the Church.

Okay, well let us take a look at this passage in order to determine if this is what Paul was attempting to communicate to the Corinthians? If this is not in the least the message Paul was attempting to convey to the Corinthians, then there is no way we can use the passage in order to claim we as Christians are commanded to, "take every thought captive."

So then, as we turn our attention to this passage, and begin in verse 1 of chapter 10 in 2 Corinthians, what we read there is,

"Now I, Paul, appeal to you personally by the meekness and gentleness of Christ "

So, as we can clearly see, Paul is making a plea to the Corinthians. What is the plea Paul is making? Let us continue in order to discover this. Paul continues,

"I who am meek when present among you, but am full of courage toward you when away!"

What does Paul mean here? Well, as we continue on, we will discover Paul knows there are some of the Corinthians who are questioning his authority, by claiming Paul was meek in his presence, but when Paul was away he would write these bold, and weighty letters. This was Paul's way of letting these folks know that he was fully aware of what was being said about him. Therefore, Paul goes on to say,

"now I ask that when I am present I may not have to be bold with the confidence that (I expect) I will dare to use against some who consider us to be behaving according to human standards."

Now, I do not care who you are, this is clearly a warning, and it is a warning to some in the Corinthian Church, and the Corinthians would have clearly understood it as a warning. Paul continues,

"For though we live as human beings, we do not wage war according to human standards"

Okay, who is the "WE" referring too? I can assure you the "WE" is in no way referring to the Corinthians. Rather, this is a warning to the Corinthians. Paul is warning the Corinthians, "although I myself, and Timothy (Since Paul and Timothy are identified as the authors of this letter) are indeed human, we do not wage war according to human standards". Therefore, this has nothing whatsoever to do with communicating to the Corinthians that they as Christians, "do not wage war according to human standards". Nor is Paul explaining to the Corinthians they have these Spiritual weapons at their disposal. Again, it is a clear warning to the Corinthians.

As we continue Paul says,

"for the weapons of our warfare are not human weapons, but are made powerful by God for tearing down strongholds."

The question here is, who is the "OUR" referring too? It cannot be the Corinthians, since they are not included in the "WE". In other words, this has nothing to do with teaching the Corinthians they as Christians possess these powerful Spiritual weapons.

The problem we have here is, this passage has nothing whatsoever to do with Paul teaching the Corinthians they had these powerful weapons at their disposal, and it certainly had nothing at all to do with commanding the Corinthians to, "take every thought captive" and this is very easily demonstrated by a simple reading of the text. The Corintians would have clearly understood it as a warning, and the Corinthians could not have possibly understood it any other way. If I am correct, (and I clearly am) then this passage cannot be in any way used as a command to Christians to, "take every thought captive" since it was not a command to the Corinthians.

Paul continues,

"We tear down arguments and every arrogant obstacle that is raised up against the knowledge of God"

And this brings us to the very phrase we are dealing with,

"and we take every thought captive to make it obey Christ."

So again, who is the "WE" in this passage referring too? Does it include the Corinthians? Or, is this a warning to the Corinthians? Well, it becomes extremely clear in the very next sentence.

"We are also ready to punish every act of disobedience, whenever your obedience is complete."

It is absolutely clear here! The Corinthians are not included in the "WE", therefore we cannot include us as Christians in with the "WE". Rather, the Corinthians are identified with the "YOUR" making it abundantly clear this is a warning to the Corinthians and is therefore not in any way a command to the Corinthians, nor us as Christians to "take every thought captive". This has nothing to do with Paul's train of thought, and the Corinthians could have never come away with such an idea. However, it continues on, making it even more evident. In verse 7 Paul writes,

"You are looking at outward appearances."

Who is the "YOU" referring too? Clearly it is the Corinthians, and since this is indeed the case the Corinthians were in no way included when Paul said, "we take every thought captive". The fact of the matter is, it was not a command to the Corinthians to, "take every thought captive." Rather, it was a statement of fact that Paul and Timothy had the authority, and power to come into the Corinthian Church and "take every thought captive".

The fact this whole passage was not in any way a command to the Corinthians, but rather a warning is demonstrated clearly in verses 10, and 11 where Paul says,

"because some say, “His letters are weighty and forceful, but his physical presence is weak and his speech is of no account.” Let such a person consider this: What we say by letters when we are absent, we also are in actions when we are present."

How in the world anyone can read this passage and come away with the idea this is a command to Christians to, "take every thought captive" is beyond my ability to understand? What is even more baffling is how one can come to the conclusion this would have anything to do with us as Christians engaging those outside the Church, when it is clear Paul is dealing with those inside the Church, and had only those inside the Church in mind as he wrote? In other words, in order for one to claim Paul was talking about anyone outside the Church in this passage, one would have to force in a meaning which clearly is not on the mind of Paul. And this brings us to the next issue concerning a passage we have already brought forth, which is the passage in which you tell us, Paul gives us,

"explicit and free permission to keep company with idolators who would worship Aphrodite by fornicating with prostitutes at her temple."

Again, you would be correct. However, giving us as Christians this permission was not at all the intent of what Paul was attempting to communicate. In other words, it was not Paul's intent in this passage to give the Corinthians this permission. This was not at all on his mind. Rather, what was on the mind of Paul as he wrote this passage was, gross immorality inside the very Church he is now addressing. Therefore, Paul refers to the former letter and says,

"I wrote you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people. In no way did I mean the immoral people of this world"

Paul goes on to say,

"But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who calls himself a Christian who is sexually immoral, or greedy, or an idolator, or verbally abusive, or a drunkard, or a swindler. Do not even eat with such a person."

So then, as we can clearly see, Paul's whole mindset, and focus here is to deal with this immorality inside this very Church. It had nothing whatsoever to do with giving the Corinthians, and us as Christians "explicit and free permission to keep company with idolators", even though as you say we can certainly draw this from what was said. And yet, you have Paul using this permission as some sort of, "strategy of attack." Not only is this nowhere in the text, but one also cannot even draw this conclusion from what is said, in the same way one could naturally draw the conclusion we as Christians are free to associate with immoral unbelievers. There is no way anyone can draw such a conclusion. Rather, it has to be inserted.

The problem with attempting to insert this idea that Paul was allowing us to associate with immoral unbelievers as some sort of "strategy of attack" against their idolatry is the fact that Paul actually gives us the reason we can associate with the immoral unbeliever, as opposed to the immoral believer, and that is the fact that Paul says, "For what do I have to do with judging those outside?" So then, you have Paul giving us the permission to associate with immoral unbelievers as some sort of "strategy of attack", while Paul says it is because we have no business judging those outside the Church. Therefore, it seems to me you are interpreting these passages any way you wish in order to support a certain agenda, while ignoring the plain and simple meaning Paul had as he wrote these passages.

With all the above being said, allow me to address the divisions we now have in these United States. Your answer seems to be, Christian reconstruction, theonomy, theocracy, or Christian nationalism. It really does not matter what you call it, the idea is the same. In other words, your answer seems to be we need to, and MUST, infuse God's moral law into our civil law. While it would be great if all of us as Americans were united in our theology, I am afraid this is not the case. I am also afraid it has never been promised to us this would be the case, which is exactly why Paul can tell us we can associate with the immoral of the world, otherwise we would have to leave the world. This seems to make it perfectly clear that Paul did not envision a time when there would be no immoral unbelievers in the world.

What unites us as Christians here in the U.S. in our Churches is Jesus Christ, and the Gospel. What unites Muslims in the U.S. in their Mosques, is Mohammad, and the Koran. What unites Jews in the U.S. in their synagogues, is the Torah. What unites homosexuals in the U.S. is their belief the lifestyle they lead is perfectly normal. What unites atheists is..........? Well, I am not sure the atheists even care to be united. The point is, all these groups have different things which unites them together. The problem is, all of us as Americans need to find what it is which unites us as Americans, no matter our religion, lack thereof, sexual orientation, etc. What it is which should unite all these groups together as Americans is, FREEDOM!

You see, as a Christian here in the United States, I have the freedom to freely express that I am convinced Islam is a false religion, and that Christianity is the Only One True Faith. I am free to proclaim homosexuality as a sin. I am also free to spread the Gospel to all those who are willing to listen. In other words, all of us as Americans, have the freedom to have a rigorous robust debate, exchange of ideas, and beliefs, but at the end of the day we can all embrace each other, being thankful for the freedoms we have to disagree, and still be united in some way. You would think we as Christians would be leading the way in this area. However, it seems as if we as Christians are actually leading the way in causing more division. One way or the other we better figure this out before it is too late. Or we can continue to insist that all must, and have to be united based upon our theology as Christians, and see where that will lead? I can tell you this, I am convinced this country is heading for a complete collapse, and it is not the homosexuals, abortionists, atheists, nor the left which will be the cause. Rather, it will be, Christian nationalism, and or, Christian reconstruction. But hey! As a postmillennialist a complete collapse of our society would be the aim. Correct?

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Re: Christian nationalism

Post #111

Post by Inquirer »

Realworldjack wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:23 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:01 am
Realworldjack wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:12 pm ... JWs apparently are tied to certain laws which prevent them from helping in this fight against Christian nationalism

DO JEHOVAHS WITNESSES FIGHT CHRISTIAN NATIONALISM?

Jehovahs Witnesses remain polifically neutral and do not join socio-political or military struggles. That said they are not indifferent to human suffering or inactive in this regard. Jehovah's Witnesses " fight against Christian nationalism" in that they combatting harmful ideologies by promoting and teaching bible truths that do not support extreme views. Indeed, when it comes to the fight against harmful ideologies of all types, Jehovahs Witnesses are leaders !

FURHER READING Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Maintain Political Neutrality?
https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesse ... eutrality/

RELATED POSTS

WHO should be "no part of the world"?
viewtopic.php?p=1087443#p1087443

Should Christians engage in politics?
viewtopic.php?p=952643#p952643

Do Jehovah's Witnesses support ANY government?
viewtopic.php?p=1025637#p1025637

Does the Christian command to be no part of the world mean refraining from helping others?
viewtopic.php?p=1087767#p1087767

Are Jehovah's Witnesses concerned with human rights?
viewtopic.php?p=1087556#p1087556

Do Jehovahs Witness fight "Christian Nationalism"?
viewtopic.php?p=1088327#p1088327

How do Jehovah's Witnesses fight harmful ideologies ?
viewtopic.php?p=1087830#p1087830

Okay, and how long have the JWs been engaged in such activity? You see, it is not working, and you all have very little impact to being almost non-existent. Therefore, we are going to have to do a little more. One of the things we will have to do, is to "embroil ourselves in socio-political struggles" and the JW cannot do such a thing since they are tied to laws which prevent them from staining themselves with such things. In other words, simply passing out JW propaganda is going to have no effect whatsoever in stopping Christian nationalism.
I'm not a JW but you must understand that for many Christians these political conflicts are "earthly" they are in God's hands, everything that happens is ultimately the will of God, whether we like it or not.

I do have opinions and I do object and protest about things but frankly there is good grounds for not doing so, from a Biblical standpoint anyway. This is where the Christian nationalists stop reading their Bibles. They advocate guns for self defense yet no man of God should take up arms even in self defense, we should place our trust in God. We should literally turn the other cheek, we are commanded not to kill, this is all very clear but many - including me - do not always place our complete trust in God.

Humans long ago abandoned God and what we see is the result.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #112

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Realworldjack wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:37 am [Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #104]
Which is it ? Get involved in politics OR put politics aside (since according to you, it will not make the problem "go away")?
When I say, "we need to lay our politics aside" I am speaking of our political differences ...
Well clearly Jehovah's Witnesses have different views regarding politics... thats a political difference; should you not be laying that aside? Isn't your point that to bring how we feel about politics /political parties or individial politicials etc is divisive and we should stop that and focus on the job at hand (especially since regardless of who is voted in, the problem will remain)?

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #113

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Realworldjack wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:27 am
Are you by that acknowledging that Jehovah's Witnesses are indeed engaging in a fight against harmful ideologies ?
No, because JW propaganda is just as harmful as Christian nationalism.

So basically you are saying you wish us to join you in the fight/stand up against ... ourselves?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Realworldjack
Guru

Post #114

Post by Realworldjack »

[Replying to Diogenes in post #100]

I understand I have other posts to respond to, and I intend to respond to all as I have time. However, I have been thinking about this comment further, and would like to respond more in depth.
And now, predictably his words once again have inspired "defunding" and violence against our core institutions.
I am attempting to figure out how one can be held responsible for the words they use, which may inspire any sort of actions in others? As an example, let us suppose (not that this has ever happened) there may be certain politicians who proclaim to business owners, including restaurants, "if there are those who come into your establishments who support certain candidates, you should refuse to serve them, and even harass them".

Okay, the question here is, if there are such establishments which do exactly what these politicians have recommended, should we hold the establishments accountable, those who made such recommendation, or both? It is my opinion the only ones who should be responsible, are those who committed the actions. Those who may have inspired the actions may be subject to ridicule, but I cannot understand how these folks would be responsible for the actual actions.

With this being the case, even if it could be demonstrated that Trump called for the MAGAS to perform the insurrection, how in the world would his words hold him responsible? In other words, I as an individual am responsible for the actions I take. This was at least the case in the house I grew up in. What I mean is, if I was caught in a behavior that was not acceptable, it would be a bad mistake for me to suggest that someone else talked me into such behavior, because this would cause me to be in far more trouble. Therefore, if Trump did indeed call for such actions, it may indeed call for ridicule, but I am not quite sure how he could be held responsible?

Realworldjack
Guru

Post #115

Post by Realworldjack »

[Replying to Diogenes in post #109]
You continue to compare the common cold with metastatic cancer.
No. I am afraid that is what you are doing. I am honest enough to admit, the morality, or immorality of the candidates has nothing to do with my vote. If I were to consider morality, my only option would be to refrain from voting at all, and therefore I choose to vote for a candidate whom I believe will cancel out policies I am convinced to be harmful to the country. I'm thinking if most folks were honest, they would have to admit the fact that the morality of a candidate has very little, if anything at all to do with the way in which they vote.
It's not so much about comparative morality, but law breaking.
I was under the impression one was assumed innocent until proven guilty, and as far as I know none of the folks you have mentioned have been found guilty of any sort of crimes? I mean, I know Trump has been accused of a number of things, which turned out to be "trumped" up charges. You know like, RUSSIA, RUSSIA, RUSSIA? But the thing is, we really should leave all of this alone, because I highly doubt we are going to agree. Two things I hope we do agree on is, freedom, and the threat of Christian nationalism, and instead of us focusing on what we can agree on, you continue to want to bring up the issues which will divide. I am simply here to tell you that unless something major changes, (and it will not) I am not voting for a democrat. It just is not going to happen.
I don't compare T***p, Marjorie Taylor Greene and Paul Gosar with honest and decent Republican politicians, tho' a number of them have called for destroying the FBI because as a last resort, after the Insurrectionist refused to comply with a subpoena and other less intrusive methods, they had to get a search warrant, supported by an independent magistrate's finding of probable cause that the ex-President had violated the Espionage Act and evidence was likely to be found in his home.
It seems to me, by the end of this very long sentence, you have classified most all the republicans as being dishonest. Moreover, the case against Trump at this point is being tried in the media, with those on the left being absolutely certain Trump must, and has to be guilty, while those on the right seem to be suggesting this was all some sort of way to keep Trump from running again. My take on the situation at this point would be, I cannot imagine the FBI, DOJ, and the judge would be stupid enough not to know they would find something in Mar A Lago. It is going to be disastrous for them all if nothing is found. On the other hand, this thing has been going on for months now with Trump being fully aware they were looking. Therefore, it is hard to imagine that Trump would be stupid enough to keep such things where they could be easily found. It seems to me we would all be wise to wait on all the evidence to come in. However, as I have already said, I am not sure how much the facts, and evidence will matter to many folks.
Can you think of another President where judges, some appointed by Trump, have found probable cause to believe he tried to steal an election, fomented an attempted insurrection, and committed acts of espionage against the United States? Most Republicans can't stand him either, but are too afraid of his uneducated MAGA base to be heroic.
What I cannot think of is any other president who has been accused of so much evil, and yet nothing seems to stick. But hey! If we continue to sling mud, something is bound to stick. What I am attempting to explain to you is that I am not by any means attempting to defend Trump. If he is found guilty of crimes then he needs to pay the price, and I will be fine with that being the case. However, this would not in any way cause me to vote democrat.
You talk about violence on both sides, but it mainly comes from the extreme right.
GOOD GRIEF! I will absolutely agree the "extreme right" poses a threat and has for quite some time. However, to bring up certain situations, in which certain individuals take it upon themselves to act out, seems to ignore the fact we had whole communities set ablaze, lives taken, and I suppose the extreme right was responsible for that as well?

You see, our whole conversation is exactly why I am becoming ever more convinced the "extreme right" and the Christian nationalists are going to be successful. It is not going to be because of popularity. Rather, they will take advantage of the fact that those of us who are opposed, will never be able to unite in any sort of way, because one side or the other will not be able to look past the differences. You my friend, are making the case in a big way.

It really has nothing to do with, if I can "stand" Trump. I can tell you this though, my 401k certainly liked Trump, and not so much since he has left. I was also glad to see him begin to build up our military. I also seem to remember one before Trump, who was firing missiles across the Pacific, and for some strange reason when Trump had a talk with him, we have not heard very much from him since.

But hey! We can continue to bicker over these things which divide us and continue to demonstrate the point. But I am here to tell you that it is utter insanity for one to be so convinced they are in the right that those opposed must somehow be on the side of evil, and now it seems as though not only are those of us who oppose your views on the side of evil, we are also "uneducated". Now, do you really want to talk about "extremes"? I find many of the things you say to be very "extreme", to the point of not being in touch with reality.

Diogenes
Guru

Post #116

Post by Diogenes »

Realworldjack wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:40 am [Replying to Diogenes in post #109]
You continue to compare the common cold with metastatic cancer.
No. I am afraid that is what you are doing. I am honest enough to admit, the morality, or immorality of the candidates has nothing to do with my vote. If I were to consider morality, my only option would be to refrain from voting at all, and therefore I choose to vote for a candidate whom I believe will cancel out policies I am convinced to be harmful to the country. I'm thinking if most folks were honest, they would have to admit the fact that the morality of a candidate has very little, if anything at all to do with the way in which they vote.
It's not so much about comparative morality, but law breaking.
I was under the impression one was assumed innocent until proven guilty, and as far as I know none of the folks you have mentioned have been found guilty of any sort of crimes? I mean, I know Trump has been accused of a number of things, which turned out to be "trumped" up charges. You know like, RUSSIA, RUSSIA, RUSSIA? But the thing is, we really should leave all of this alone, because I highly doubt we are going to agree. Two things I hope we do agree on is, freedom, and the threat of Christian nationalism, and instead of us focusing on what we can agree on, you continue to want to bring up the issues which will divide. I am simply here to tell you that unless something major changes, (and it will not) I am not voting for a democrat. It just is not going to happen.
I don't compare T***p, Marjorie Taylor Greene and Paul Gosar with honest and decent Republican politicians, tho' a number of them have called for destroying the FBI because as a last resort, after the Insurrectionist refused to comply with a subpoena and other less intrusive methods, they had to get a search warrant, supported by an independent magistrate's finding of probable cause that the ex-President had violated the Espionage Act and evidence was likely to be found in his home.
It seems to me, by the end of this very long sentence, you have classified most all the republicans as being dishonest.
Where did I write that? I said just the opposite
I don't compare T***p, Marjorie Taylor Greene and Paul Gosar with honest and decent Republican politicians....
But many rank and file Republicans have put the blame on the FBI rather than accepting a probable cause statement. I stop reading the rest of your post(s) when I see such misleading or false statements.

It is not my job to seek unity with your ideas simply because we agree that Christian Nationalism is a grave threat. I am not attacking the GOP in general, but to the extent they support a divisive figure like T***p, MHRIH, they do a disservice to their Party and the country.
Your "innocent until proven guilty" blather is for a criminal trial. Probable Cause is the standard for obtaining warrants and other pretrial motions as well as for political beliefs. As for 'innocent,' you claimed virtually all Democrats are liars on a level with T***p. Nixon was never convicted. Many of T***p's, subordinates and supporters earnestly sought or accepted pardons.

BTW, I would vote for a Republican if I thought they were the best person for the job. I would definitely vote for Liz Cheney if I lived in Wyoming, and would not rule out voting for her in a national election. She has shown she is person of principle and character and understands how T**** is ruining both your Party and American democracy.
Last edited by Diogenes on Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves

— Confucius

Realworldjack
Guru

Post #117

Post by Realworldjack »

Inquirer wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:47 pm [Replying to Realworldjack in post #1]

The post is here "Free Speech in a Christian Theocracy" and should ideally be read in full before anyone else here can really form an opinion. It is a public post on a public blog, nothing to hide.
Exactly what is it you think I was attempting to hide? The title of the article "Free Speech in a Christian Theocracy" is exactly what the article discusses, and I have not argued against the author's idea that there can be free speech in a Christian Theocracy, although the content seems to me to be nothing more than what is called a "word salad". Rather, what I did was to take direct quotes from the article, in which the author refers to passages of scripture, going on to tell us as Christians what this means to us. I then go on to demonstrate clearly the passages he is using, has nothing whatsoever to do with what he is attempting to sell. I am happy with you sharing the article, but I really do not see how one would need to read the article in order to form an opinion of the OP since I was not at all debating the idea of, free speech in a Christian theocracy. So then, please do explain what I was attempting to hide?

Realworldjack
Guru

Post #118

Post by Realworldjack »

[Replying to Diogenes in post #116]

It seems clear to me you, and I are living in a complete, and different reality.
But many rank and file Republicans have put the blame on the FBI rather than accepting a probable cause statement.
How in the world one can make the statement above, and not understand this is claiming that these republicans are being dishonest is beyond my ability to understand? I mean, it is if you are saying you have all the facts, and these republicans cannot have any facts which you do not have which would cause them to hold the position they have, and are therefore being dishonest by attempting to blame the FBI, instead of simply accepting the "probable cause statement"? If they have no facts, and evidence in order to support blaming the FBI, then this causes them to be even more dishonest.
It is not my job to seek unity with your ideas simply because we agree that Christian Nationalism is a grave threat.
Here is another example of our being in two different realities, because I have never once suggested you should "seek unity with my ideas". Rather, I have made it plain that we will more than likely never agree on those particular issues, and we need to place these differences aside for a time, in order to unite against Christian nationalism. However, it seems impossible for you to do that, because you continue to bring up the things which divide us, and I attempt to stay away, until I can no longer take it.
Your "innocent until proven guilty" blather is for a criminal trial.
Which was exactly what I was referring too. I was not in any way referring to the Mar-a-Lago situation. Go back and read again. I was referring to the fact you are claiming crimes have been committed. If one is accused of a crime, they are presumed innocent until proven guilty, and thus far I am not aware of any crimes which Trump has been convicted of?
As for 'innocent,' you claimed virtually all Democrats are liars on a level with T***p.
This is false. It was you who accused Trump of being a liar, and I simply responded by saying, "And so is Bill, and Hilary Clinton, Biden, Nancy Pelosi, etc. etc. ". This is not in any way comparing who is the biggest liar. In fact, I actually had this to say,
realworldjack wrote:At this point, you are only left with whomever you believe to be the worst liar, and I am not really seeing how that would matter much.
So then, it is not me who is making the comparison, that would be you when you claim, "there is no comparison". I am starting to see why you may hold the views you have, because it seems as if there are those who have trouble getting their information straight.
BTW, I would vote for a Republican if I thought they were the best person for the job.
Well, good for you. My problem is the fact that in my lifetime I have never known a democrat who was for less government, lower taxes, strong military, or those who seem to be in touch with those of us who happen to live in the "fly-over" states, and these are the issues I tend to vote for.
I would definitely vote for Liz Cheney if I lived in Wyoming
Oh really? Exactly what issues do you agree with Liz on, besides her stance against Trump? I mean, this is really funny. You could have brought up any other republican, but somehow it just so happens the one you bring up, is so full of principle, and character simply because she happens to agree with you concerning Trump. I may well vote for Liz myself if she held to the issues listed above. In other words, I would not vote against her based upon her stance against Trump. In fact, it would have nothing to do with my vote.

I'm telling you, the more you type, the more you make my case.

Diogenes
Guru

Post #119

Post by Diogenes »

Realworldjack wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:42 pm It seems clear to me you, and I are living in a complete, and different reality.
I am grateful for that. :)

Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves

— Confucius

Realworldjack
Guru

Post #120

Post by Realworldjack »

Diogenes wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:07 pm
Realworldjack wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:42 pm It seems clear to me you, and I are living in a complete, and different reality.
I am grateful for that. :)
Of course, you are because this means you can live in your own reality. However, there are those of us in the "real world" who understand there are those who hold opposing views, and this causes us to wonder why this would be, and we attempt to understand their position, in an attempt to determine if it could if fact be myself who is in error? It is these sorts of folks, who can actually have a debate concerning the issues involved, as opposed to those who are completely convinced, they are correct with no possibility of error on their part. Whether you realize it or not, you hold the position of the Christian nationalists, which is "presuppositional". In other words, one simply presupposes they have to be correct, and moves according to this presupposition.

So then, while I abhor the Christian nationalists, and their presupposition, I also abhor those who are opposed to Christian nationalism who cannot seem to let go of the presuppositions they hold, in order to unite with others in order to stand up against the Christian nationalists. I can tell you this, the Christian nationalists, actually are glad there are folks like yourself, because it is folks like you who the Christian nationalists are banking on.