Who is correct, Paul or the Philosophers?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tcg
Savant

Who is correct, Paul or the Philosophers?

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

The following verses are often presented by some Christians as evidence that everyone knows God exists:
Romans 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. 19 For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. 20 For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. 21 For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened.
There are however many Christian theists who rely on and present in debate one or more of the many so-called Arguments for the Existence of God.

Would these arguments be needed if Paul is right in his claim from Romans 1?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Savant

Re: Who is correct, Paul or the Philosophers?

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

Tcg wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:53 pm ...Would these arguments be needed if Paul is right in his claim from Romans 1?
It depends on the situation. By what I know, the arguments are usually because someone asks them.

I believe all people know deep inside of them that God is real. And I think knowledge of God's existence is not very relevant, crucial thing is, does person understand what is good and right and does he want to live accordingly. Eternal life is promised for righteous, not for those who know God is real.

You believe that God is one. You do well. The demons also believe, and shudder.
James 2:19

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #3

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:45 am
Tcg wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:53 pm ...Would these arguments be needed if Paul is right in his claim from Romans 1?
It depends on the situation. By what I know, the arguments are usually because someone asks them.

I believe all people know deep inside of them that God is real. And I think knowledge of God's existence is not very relevant, crucial thing is, does person understand what is good and right and does he want to live accordingly. Eternal life is promised for righteous, not for those who know God is real.

You believe that God is one. You do well. The demons also believe, and shudder.
James 2:19

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23
I am well aware of what I think of (in fact it may be a Known Term) as the God - instinct. Or the worship/reverence instinct. But that of course doesn't mean it's right. Back in the old days, long, long ago on my Former board, shortly after I landed there despite the Theist Threats to shoot me down if I did, there was a discussion about Plantinga's argument (modified by the theist poster) on the theist instinct. I reckon I won that one by pointing out that flawed and imperfect human perception means that conclusions about gods cannot be relied upon. The posters case was that we evolved (or developed) innate perception of God. I argued that evolution -theory would make it that a God -instinct was evolved as a survival instinct, not as a way of revealing truth. For that, only scientific investigation can be relied on to avoid human misperception.

Thus the God instinct is better understood as something that helps humans to survive as individuals, tribes and a species.And I need only point out how religion (as the other side of the coin from patriotism) is a first resort along with the rattled sabre when it comes to putting public support behind some dictator's misdirection from his own social failures into threats against some bit of land owned by someone else.

So, no. I do not buy the God instinct as a reason to think that a god exists and, as usual, that still doesn't tell us Which god. So Christianity still has it all to do, even if a case can be made for a god, or gods, with or without personal planets and lots of wives.

I need hardly labour the point that Paul was making, which is essentially ID. Life, the Universe and everything couldn't happen without a big invisible human to cement it all together. Creation was inexplicable without a god, so even the most religious -skeptical of the Founding Father were Deists, because Goddunnit was the only theory on the table until Darwin came along and God was no longer needed. Deism became obsolete (1) and atheism became the logical default.

So Paul's argument is as wrong (and outdated) as most theist arguments, and can only be employed today through ignorance of the science or denial of it.

(1) though it persists and is quite prevalent and even has some Kudos as 'Agnosticism', which is presented as a more reasonable position between a god for which there is no good evidence and the flatGod - denial of atheism.

Diagoras
Guru

Post #4

Post by Diagoras »

1213 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:45 am I believe all people know deep inside of them that God is real. And I think knowledge of God's existence is not very relevant, crucial thing is, does person understand what is good and right and does he want to live accordingly.
Then I encourage you to complete these two online exercises:

Exercise 1
Exercise 2

There are others on that website that you might like to try as well. They all challenge the idea that you can always ‘know what is right’, so I would be interested to hear how you get on.

Savant

Post #5

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:10 am ...For that, only scientific investigation can be relied on to avoid human misperception.

Thus the God instinct is better understood as something that helps humans to survive as individuals, tribes and a species....
....So, no. I do not buy the God instinct as a reason to think that a god exists and, as usual, that still doesn't tell us Which god. ...
Interesting answer, thank you.

I would just like to know, why do you think scientific investigation is without human misperception? If it is done by humans, it can easily have human misperception.

But, you accept the idea that people have this "God instinct"? You just think it is wrong and people should not trust their instinct?

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #6

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:45 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:10 am ...For that, only scientific investigation can be relied on to avoid human misperception.

Thus the God instinct is better understood as something that helps humans to survive as individuals, tribes and a species....
....So, no. I do not buy the God instinct as a reason to think that a god exists and, as usual, that still doesn't tell us Which god. ...
Interesting answer, thank you.

I would just like to know, why do you think scientific investigation is without human misperception? If it is done by humans, it can easily have human misperception.

But, you accept the idea that people have this "God instinct"? You just think it is wrong and people should not trust their instinct?
Thank you. A good question if not a new one. This is the argument about Epistemology or 'How do we know what we know?'. which is one of the three supports of Fundamentalist Theism (Faith, Flag and science -scepticism) because Theist argument will often try to scrape a draw by asserting that we can't know anything and science is mere (flawed) human opinion, and thus faith -claims are as valid as any other.
This is of course irrational because it is Faith based. The logic would mean that no particular belief counted more than any other which is why appeal to unknowns is a fallacy. It only works with a priori godfaith which saves the faith but makes no case. So it is useless in debate.

However your question queries the validity of science. Well, it works :D like we say, we all rely on it every day. You have faith that your car will start and not decide to blow up in your face. You trust science to work. Science had to refine its' data, sure, but the established still works. Compasses don't suddenly decide to point east, 2 and 2 do not suddenly = 6, we do not find that Jupiter and Saturn have changed orbits, nor do we find that our mobile phone has suddenly gone fissionable and is emitting deadly radiation.

So we don't dig down to Jurassic strata and find Miocene fossils, we do not look in Hittite strata and find willow pattern sherds. And we do not read accounts of Caesar's Gallic war and read that Vercingetorix sent in a doze Mark 5 Panzer tanks to turn Caesar's flank (though it would be unutterably cool if he did). We can rely on what we know we can rely on

I won'r go into the endless attempts to find fault with strata, radiometric dating or lightspeed -based dating of the universe. But science does have a very good track record of explaining and validating Data, while religion has a very good track record of making claims and those being disproved.

There was no global flood
Tyre was rebuilt,
There was no Passover release custom

To which I'd add 'what we can 'know' There was no Bethlehem birth.
Daniel was not written in Babylon 5 BC
The sun did not stand still to let a battle finish.

That is what (thanks to science) we can know.

Science has earned a bit of credit and in fact, the alternative Isms, while flipping science off, still try to pretend to be scientifically valid, and long for the same credibility, Kudos and clout that science has earned by working reliably.

Wootah
Savant

Post #7

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to Tcg in post #1]

False dichotomy.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Tcg
Savant

Post #8

Post by Tcg »

Wootah wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:46 am [Replying to Tcg in post #1]

False dichotomy.
Please explain this in a way that justifies your accusation. False dichotomy is an easy accusation to make. Can you support it?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Savant

Post #9

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:00 am ...But science does have a very good track record of ...
...being wrong often.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:00 amThere was no global flood
Tyre was rebuilt,

Those are your beliefs, not facts. And it is especially weird why make an obvious false claim about Tyre that's ruins everyone can still see and notice that it is not rebuilt.

Tcg
Savant

Post #10

Post by Tcg »

1213 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:58 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:00 am ...But science does have a very good track record of ...
...being wrong often.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:00 amThere was no global flood
Tyre was rebuilt,

Those are your beliefs, not facts. And it is especially weird why make an obvious false claim about Tyre that's ruins everyone can still see and notice that it is not rebuilt.
What does any of this have to do with either Paul or the philosophers which are indeed the subjects of my query?

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom