Is all of the Bible written to us

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Peterlag
Student

Is all of the Bible written to us

Post #1

Post by Peterlag »

I do not know why we have so many Christians who believe the entire Bible is written directly to them, the Church of God. There is nothing in the Bible to indicate such thinking, and I would like to add nothing could be further from the truth. It's true the Word of God was written for everyone for all time, and it's for our learning because it contains what everyone should know. That does not mean every part of it is addressed to everyone in this time, because the subject matter was written either to the Jews, to the Gentiles, or to the Church of God (1 Corinthians 10:32).

To rightly understand the Word of God, one must understand what part is written to the Church of God and what part is written for the learning of the Church. Every word from Genesis 1:1, to Revelation 22:21, is written for our learning. However, not all of the words from Genesis 1:1, to Revelation 22:21, are addressed to us. We must learn to distinguish not only the various people, but also the different time periods God has spoken to if we want to understand the written Word of God. The time God spoke to the children of Israel is not the same time period He has spoken to us. The time He spoke to the prophets in the time of the Old Testament is not the same time period He spoke to His Son Jesus Christ in the time of the gospels.

Administrations must be adapted to the time periods in which they are carried out. The administration with Adam before the fall was different from the one with his immediate family after the fall. The administration with Israel “under the law” was carried out on different principles from the present administration of Grace. This present administration is different from the one that will characterize the return of Christ. The administration of Judgment will be different from the one that will belong to the administration of Glory, when all things shall be gathered together in one under the headship of Christ.

We will never understand the truth of God’s Word if we neglect to rightly divide the subject matter. As far as we are concerned in this Grace administration, what happened to Israel in the Old Testament was written for our learning. If we do not rightly divide to whom it's addressed—the Jew, Gentile, or the Church of God, we will use one truth to contradict another truth, and we will use what is true for one group in contrast to what is also true for another group.

These different administrations are suited to different times because God has spoken everything to its proper time and administration. We will never understand the truth of God’s Word if we read into one administration what God tells us belongs to another administration. If we believe what God said in one administration and carry it into another administration that was on a different principle, we will be taking what is true for one time, and using it to contradict what is also true for another time. When we mix them all together, by jumbling the whole Bible together: Law, Gospel, Grace, Judgment, Glory, Jew, Gentile, and the Church of God, we will be very confused in our understanding of the truth of God’s Word.

Peterlag
Student

Re: Is all of the Bible written to us

Post #21

Post by Peterlag »

Eddie Ramos wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:22 pm
Peterlag wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:40 am Deuteronomy 25:4 (KJV 1900)
Thou shalt not muzzle the ox when he treadeth out the corn.
and...
1 Corinthians 9:8–11 (KJV 1900)

Fit's perfectly in what I wrote in the first part of this OP. That it's true the Word of God was written for everyone for all time, and it's for our learning because it contains what everyone should know. That does not mean every part of it is addressed to everyone in this time, because the subject matter was written either to the Jews, to the Gentiles, or to the Church of God. Again for our learning and not addressed to us.
Again, it would be most helpful even necessary for you to show from the scriptures where you are getting this hermeneutic from. At least this way there can be no argument because you can show everyone where your authority comes from in this matter by using the Bible.

Because, as I showed you from the same Bible, that Old Testament law had more application for the people of the New Testament that it did for those to whom it was first given. Israel of old was just going through the motions by keeping that law (along withevery other). But the spiritual truth within it, was "sown" for us today. This is the way the Bible was written. This is what makes the Old Testament more relevant to us today that to whom it was first given.

[i]1 Corinthians 10:11 (KJV)
Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.[/i]
I don't know how it could be written more plainly.

1 Corinthians 1:2
Unto the church of God which is at Corinth

Ephesians 1:1
to the saints which are at Ephesus, and to the faithful in Christ Jesus:

Eddie Ramos
Scholar

Re: Is all of the Bible written to us

Post #22

Post by Eddie Ramos »

Peterlag wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:30 am
Eddie Ramos wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:22 pm
Peterlag wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:40 am Deuteronomy 25:4 (KJV 1900)
Thou shalt not muzzle the ox when he treadeth out the corn.
and...
1 Corinthians 9:8–11 (KJV 1900)

Fit's perfectly in what I wrote in the first part of this OP. That it's true the Word of God was written for everyone for all time, and it's for our learning because it contains what everyone should know. That does not mean every part of it is addressed to everyone in this time, because the subject matter was written either to the Jews, to the Gentiles, or to the Church of God. Again for our learning and not addressed to us.
Again, it would be most helpful even necessary for you to show from the scriptures where you are getting this hermeneutic from. At least this way there can be no argument because you can show everyone where your authority comes from in this matter by using the Bible.

Because, as I showed you from the same Bible, that Old Testament law had more application for the people of the New Testament that it did for those to whom it was first given. Israel of old was just going through the motions by keeping that law (along withevery other). But the spiritual truth within it, was "sown" for us today. This is the way the Bible was written. This is what makes the Old Testament more relevant to us today that to whom it was first given.

[i]1 Corinthians 10:11 (KJV)
Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.[/i]
I don't know how it could be written more plainly.

1 Corinthians 1:2
Unto the church of God which is at Corinth

Ephesians 1:1
to the saints which are at Ephesus, and to the faithful in Christ Jesus:
Got it. Thanks for the chat.