gun crime in general is down....... More guns, less gun crime....

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

thomasdixon
Apprentice

Post #1

Post by thomasdixon »

ar15.jpg

This is all true and there is little the citizens of America can do about it. In America we have the right to bear arms. It is in our bill of rights as citizens of the USA.

And having said that, there is one power our President has. Our President is our commander in chief. He/She is commander over all our military divisions.
The Ar15 was designed, and mass-manufactured for our military for the sole purpose of killing fellow human beings.

Ar15s

Since the AR-15 was designed and manufactured under the direction of our Commander and Chef,
the President of the USA, Joe Biden could order the recall of all military firearms as property of our military.

I vote for it
How about you--?
(:-

Tcg
Savant

Re: gun crime in general is down....... More guns, less gun crime....

Post #31

Post by Tcg »

Wootah wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:12 am
Tcg wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:28 pm
thomasdixon wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:29 pm
Tcg wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:03 pmBan the AR-15 and folks will use the Mini-14 or similar rifles.
Tcg
So what, all we can do is take one step at a time. Banning AR-15’s is that step.
If it saves one life it is worth it, ten times over.
:D
As I've already explained, banning the AR-15 wouldn't necessarily save lives. The result would be that people would use other style weapons to kill people. The threat lies in semi-automatic firearms with high-capacity mags.

Tcg
Assuming we could ban guns - how will we get the AR-15s off the government? I don't think they will give them up peacefully. Do you?
Where did I suggest banning guns or taking AR-15s from "the government?"

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Wootah
Savant

Post #32

Post by Wootah »

Tcg wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:34 am
Tcg wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:03 pmBan the AR-15 and folks will use the Mini-14 or similar rifles.
Tcg
So what, all we can do is take one step at a time. Banning AR-15’s is that step.
As I've already explained, banning the AR-15 wouldn't necessarily save lives. The result would be that people would use other style weapons to kill people. The threat lies in semi-automatic firearms with high-capacity mags.

Tcg
Assuming we could ban guns - how will we get the AR-15s off the government? I don't think they will give them up peacefully. Do you?

Tcg
I thought we might brainstorm how to get rid of those guns?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Tcg
Savant

Post #33

Post by Tcg »

Wootah wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:07 am
Tcg wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:34 am
Tcg

Tcg

Tcg
I thought we might brainstorm how to get rid of those guns?
That doesn't address my question. Do I need to repeat it?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Wootah
Savant

Post #34

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to Tcg in post #33]

Are you for or against removing guns from society?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Tcg
Savant

Post #35

Post by Tcg »

Wootah wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:49 am [Replying to Tcg in post #33]

This is yet another reply that doesn't address my question. I'll repeat it in hopes that it may be addressed:

"Where did I suggest banning guns or taking AR-15s from "the government?"

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Post #36

Post by Tcg »

Tcg wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:53 am
Wootah wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:49 am [Replying to Tcg in post #33]

This is yet another reply that doesn't address my question. I'll repeat it in hopes that it may be addressed:

"Where did I suggest banning guns or taking AR-15s from "the government?"

Tcg
Apparently, I'll have to answer this question myself. The answer is nowhere. Nowhere did I suggest banning guns or taking AR-15s from "the government?"

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Wootah
Savant

Post #37

Post by Wootah »

How will we ban the govt from getting guns like ar15s?

thomasdixon
Apprentice

Post #38

Post by thomasdixon »

Gun control is nothing new. Way back in the day of the cowboy’s gun control was tougher than it is today

The Second Amendment (Amendment II) to the United States Constitution protects the right of the people to keep and bear arms and was adopted on December 15, 1791 as part of the Bill of Rights.

In the 2008 Heller decision, the Supreme Court affirmed for the first time that the right belongs to individuals, exclusively for self-defense in the home, while also including, as dicta, that the right is not unlimited and does not preclude the existence of certain long-standing prohibitions such as those forbidding "the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill" or restrictions on "the carrying of dangerous and unusual weapons. State and local governments are limited to the same extent as the federal government from infringing this right.
Gun Control Is as Old as the Old West
Contrary to the popular imagination, bearing arms on the frontier was a heavily regulated business
The “Old West” conjures up all sorts of imagery, but broadly, the term is used to evoke life among the crusty prospectors, threadbare gold panners, madams of brothels, and six-shooter-packing cowboys in small frontier towns – such as Tombstone, Deadwood, Dodge City, or Abilene, to name a few. One other thing these cities had in common: strict gun control laws.
Laws regulating ownership and carry of firearms, apart from the U.S. Constitution's Second Amendment, were passed at a local level rather than by Congress. “Gun control laws were adopted pretty quickly in these places,” says Winkler. “Most were adopted by municipal governments exercising self-control and self-determination.”
Carrying any kind of weapon, guns, or knives, was not allowed other than outside town borders and inside the home. When visitors left their weapons with a law officer upon entering town, they'd receive a token, like a coat check, which they'd exchange for their guns when leaving town.

The practice was started in Southern states, which were among the first to enact laws against concealed carry of guns and knives, in the early 1800s. -- The Battle Over the Right to Bear Arms in America, points to an 1840 Alabama court that, in upholding its state ban, ruled it was a state's right to regulate where and how a citizen could carry, and that the state constitution's allowance of personal firearms “is not to bear arms upon all occasions and in all places.
Contrary to the popular imagination, bearing arms on the frontier was a heavily regulated business
8-)

Tcg
Savant

Post #39

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to thomasdixon in post #38]

By the way, I don't disagree with your concern over firearms. I simply think that our concern should be broader than just over AR-15s. There are many high-capacity mag semiautomatic firearms that present serious threat.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom